Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In addition to having a leather jacket problem, I also have a a wool sweater problem.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Latest and hopefully (knock on wood) my last sweater. A guernsey with green and red navigational stripes on the sleeves. I had seen one of these 2-3 years ago, passed on it at the time, regretted it, and finally found one again. I'm hoping it will fit well, but I won't know for sure until it arrives. Based on the maker's size charts, it should be just right.

s-l1600.png

Gamma68

One Too Many
I think a lot of us on this forum are clothing collectors. It’s in our DNA to collect, which results in an abundance of all kinds of garments. I also have many many sweaters (never bothered to count) that are presently in multiple storage bins and dressers. Not to mention sport coats, shoes, shirts and a zillion ties. Drives my wife bonkers. She just collects shoes.

M Brown

A-List Customer
I have a total of 4...all from Aran Sweater Market in Ireland.
2 pull overs and 2 cardigans. I keep them in a sealed plastic tub during the warm months. And I look forward all year to the cold weather arriving!

dubpynchon

One Too Many
This is my new Arthur Beale Beerenberg sweater in grey. It's very well made and I don't find it particularly itchy despite being 100% wool. It has thumb holes which are pretty cool, so you can pull the sleeves right down. It's a very nice heavy sweater, I'd recommend it.

upload_2019-9-27_12-17-37.png

Last edited:

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
This is my new Arthur Beale Beerenberg sweater in grey. It's very well made and I don't find it particularly itchy despite being 100% wool. It has thumb holes which are pretty cool, so you can pull the sleeves right down. It's a very nice heavy sweater, I'd recommend it.

View attachment 186435
I have been eyeing the Beerenberg up as the weather gets cooler. Do you find that it retains its shape over time? I like a trim fit with a long sleeve baselayer underneath. Is the fit true to size or size up or size down?

looks good on you in the photo BTW!

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I have been eyeing the Beerenberg up as the weather gets cooler. Do you find that it retains its shape over time? I like a trim fit with a long sleeve baselayer underneath. Is the fit true to size or size up or size down?

looks good on you in the photo BTW!
The size table was accurate for mine, I have a 43 inch chest and went with a large, which is marked as 44. I wore it a lot last year and it still looks new, it’s the best jumper I have. It’s from a ship’s chandler as well, so I can smoke my pipe and pretend I’m a fisherman, yarr foul weather tonight :D

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
The size table was accurate for mine, I have a 43 inch chest and went with a large, which is marked as 44. I wore it a lot last year and it still looks new, it’s the best jumper I have. It’s from a ship’s chandler as well, so I can smoke my pipe and pretend I’m a fisherman, yarr foul weather tonight :D

Thanks for the response, much appreciated! Garrr, now where’s me rum (just practising my fisherman speak). I think I saw you on VLF, is it down?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Well, we just never know how many "problems" we all really have, do we?

I actually had a plastic tub full of sweaters after college that was on the order of 18-20 or so. In one month about 15 years back, I gave every one of them away. The wool ones were the first to go. At that point, I could count on one hand how many times I had worn a sweater, since college (about 10 years). I was in my mid-30's and just literally had no intrest in any of them. I likley gave my mother, who had bought many of those sweaters for me, some serious pain in doing that.

Since that time I had a 1/4 zip charcol coloered "sweater" for a bit but even that is now gone. No-one in my family has tried to give me a sweater again.

Edward

Bartender
Simultaneously, you also have a dehumidifier
Problem, and a moth-away problem. ;)

I live for the day someone invents a permanent moth-repellent... a genetically-bred sheep which produced moth-proof and carpet beetle-proof wool...

Anybody else got a moth/bug zapper in there living room or is that just a hat guy thing? Lol

No, but I might get one!

I store my sweaters in giant 40 gallon sterilite bins with the lids clamped on them, and full of bags of cedar chips. So far, no moths. Knock on wood.

Interested to hear more about that!

Sweaters is one problem I do not have. Instead, I have problems with t-shirts, collar shirts, flannels, henleys, sweatshirts/hoodies, jeans, sneakers, etc. -- not to mention ties, dress shirts and suits. Broadly speaking, I have many problems.

I suspect if I lived in your part of the world I'd have a serious linen habit, I doubt my cold-climate genes would cope with anything else! It's finally starting to be Autumn here rather than a horrendously overlong Summer, and I'm still in short sleeves most mornings taking the dog out. Mid October! Horrendous!

I think a lot of us on this forum are clothing collectors. It’s in our DNA to collect, which results in an abundance of all kinds of garments. I also have many many sweaters (never bothered to count) that are presently in multiple storage bins and dressers. Not to mention sport coats, shoes, shirts and a zillion ties. Drives my wife bonkers. She just collects shoes.

I'm the shoefiend in our hours. 70+ pairs to her five. That said, they will soon be radically culled now I've figured exactly where my tastes lie.... I reckon I can get it down to thirty pairs of shoes for A/W and S/S. Plus some boots, obvs...

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Interested to hear more about that!

You can get large plastic containers like this from places like Home Depot, Lowes, even Target. Various companies make them in different sizes, including sizes that will fit under most beds. They store away nicely in a closet.

1MDC4_AS01[1].jpg

A good box lid will snap on securely enough that probably you won't see a lot of insects getting into it.

Toss in a few cedar sachets for natural moth repellent that doesn't smell repellent to humans. I use about 3-4 per container.

915bYcC3oyL._AC_SY450_.jpg

For extra protection, you can put the sweaters in resealable poly bags. They make large ziploc type bags that you can get from Grainger Industrial Supply or Uline. Some of these bags are gusseted, which helps with bulkier sweaters. A size of around 14"x20" should be adequate to store 1 folded chunky sweater.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-2837/Reclosable-Poly-Bags/14-x-20-2-Mil-Reclosable-Bags

I throw in a desiccant pack to make sure the air inside isn't humid enough for mold to form.

Edward

Bartender
You can get large plastic containers like this from places like Home Depot, Lowes, even Target. Various companies make them in different sizes, including sizes that will fit under most beds. They store away nicely in a closet.

View attachment 368884

A good box lid will snap on securely enough that probably you won't see a lot of insects getting into it.

Toss in a few cedar sachets for natural moth repellent that doesn't smell repellent to humans. I use about 3-4 per container.

View attachment 368885

For extra protection, you can put the sweaters in resealable poly bags. They make large ziploc type bags that you can get from Grainger Industrial Supply or Uline. Some of these bags are gusseted, which helps with bulkier sweaters. A size of around 14"x20" should be adequate to store 1 folded chunky sweater.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-2837/Reclosable-Poly-Bags/14-x-20-2-Mil-Reclosable-Bags

I throw in a desiccant pack to make sure the air inside isn't humid enough for mold to form.

The cedar is interesting - I suspect the airtight bit is the key. I've had stuff mothed hanging in the wardrobe. There are, however, a few places locally I can still find traditional mothballs - those and an airtight box might be the killer app. I actually rather like the smell of naphthalene, so no worries there!

mtrlr

One of the Regulars

View attachment 186435

Hi, this looks really good on you.

May I ask how tall are you? Also, may I ask you the measurement for shoulder width and P2P on you L size sweater? Shoulder width is not on their size chart, and I'm trying to understand if their chest size has considered the thickness of the sweater. I'm between 39'' and 40'' chest, their M seems to be running a bit small, but L seems like one size too large for me. Dilemma of buying clothes online and across ocean, when you can't try on and shipping fee costs an arm and a leg.

Thanks a lot.

Powerband

Practically Family
Not as bad as a watch problem. (But I’ll admit I don’t have to worry about moths.)

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Hi, this looks really good on you.

May I ask how tall are you? Also, may I ask you the measurement for shoulder width and P2P on you L size sweater? Shoulder width is not on their size chart, and I'm trying to understand if their chest size has considered the thickness of the sweater. I'm between 39'' and 40'' chest, their M seems to be running a bit small, but L seems like one size too large for me. Dilemma of buying clothes online and across ocean, when you can't try on and shipping fee costs an arm and a leg.

Thanks a lot.
Hi, I'm 180cm tall. The sweater has a P2P of 24 inches and shoulders of 19, it's a large. Seems like a standard 44!

mtrlr

One of the Regulars
Hi, I'm 180cm tall. The sweater has a P2P of 24 inches and shoulders of 19, it's a large. Seems like a standard 44!
Thanks for that information. Even though I'm a 40'' chest, I also went with size L, as this was recommended by Arthur Beale's folks as well.

Just received it today, fits great because of the 19'' shoulder. The sleeves seem a bit curiously short though, and I have to pull quite a bit to have my thumbs in the thumb hole. Hope it will stretch a bit with wear. Overall, super nice jumper, very heavy too :)

The weather had been warming up a bit in the last few days, waiting for the next wave of cold, LOL.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Thanks for that information. Even though I'm a 40'' chest, I also went with size L, as this was recommended by Arthur Beale's folks as well.

Just received it today, fits great because of the 19'' shoulder. The sleeves seem a bit curiously short though, and I have to pull quite a bit to have my thumbs in the thumb hole. Hope it will stretch a bit with wear. Overall, super nice jumper, very heavy too :)

The weather had been warming up a bit in the last few days, waiting for the next wave of cold, LOL.
Glad you like it. The sleeves are fine on mine curiously enough, I have to pull the sleeves down to use the thumb hole, it must be variation between batches. It’s a proper heavy jumper, but then it comes from a ship’s chandler. I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points