Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In praise of the meatball sandwich!

rumblefish

One Too Many
Every time I'm in the Connoisseur and I see this thread, I get a craving. And so, I made one for lunch today. 2 1/2 inch meatballs cut in half, minimal sauce, and a little Locatelli. I don't think I've had one since high school- from the cafeteria.:eek:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A friend of mine has been praising the meatball sandwich at Subway for the last few months. I'm not a big Subway fan (been there maybe three times) but I relented and gave them a shot. It was surprisingly good, though lowered expectations and the reasonable ($5) price may have impacted my appraisal.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Only in NYC......

...................a recently opened restaurant specializing in the meatball.

20100316-meatballshop-intro.jpg

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
A friend of mine has been praising the meatball sandwich at Subway for the last few months. I'm not a big Subway fan (been there maybe three times) but I relented and gave them a shot. It was surprisingly good, though lowered expectations and the reasonable ($5) price may have impacted my appraisal.

The meatballs and sauce are good, but the bread lets them down! I want a sandwich with robust enough bread to keep my fingers relatively clean.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I agree, that a good meatball sandwich, belongs in the connoisseur section. Probably the reason that it get's overlooked, it that there are so many, but so few rise to the, 'tell your friends' level. I'm more often than not, disappointed.

Subway? I do eat at Subway once in a while, and I do like their subs. But I avoid the meatball at all cost. They nuke it to melt the cheese, and the bread ends up being the consistency of Play Dough. I avoid all of Subway's hot subs, for the same reason. They started doing that when they were loosing business to Quizno's. Somewhere along the line, some bureaucrat at Subway felt that nuking the subs to make them warm, was the same as Quizno's toaster oven. Hey, the people want hot subs, right? Give them what they want.

Well, it's NOT the same thing. :rolleyes:

Actually, the way to get a structurally-sound meatball sub is how Subway used to cut 'em: whack out a trough on top so the rest of the bread forms a kind of U-channel.

Around here, most of the local Subways I've hit keep the meatballs hot enough to melt the cheese on their own, but I usually get mine toasted anyway.

----------------
Now playing: James Hannigan, Frank Klepacki & Timothy Michael Wynn - RA3 Theme - Soviet March
via FoxyTunes

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I don't have it w/ cheese but I don't generally buy it from Subway either, I only really trust subway with cold hoagies and then only when I can't find a mom and pop place which is pretty rarely.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
I'll never forget my first meatball sub.

I was young (about 8-12 years old) and we were at Walt Disney World (my father worked there). It was lunch time and so we went to one fo the restaurants in Tomorrowland at the time. I ordered a meatball sub (it was bout $6 for just the sub) my father was kinda upset at the price and told me I had better eat it all. Needless to say I was done with it before the rest of the family was half done eating. I have loved them ever since. (just had some last night for dinner actually).

Best served with marinara sauce and provolone cheese.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic