Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In progress Painting

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman... Great work!! I am envious! I wish I had your talent!! I do wonder about something though. Mind you, I know nothing about lighting so I could be wrong here, but wouldn't the shadow casted by the post in front of the building be at the same angle as the shandows from the awnings? On the ground rather than on the building? [huh] If I am wrong (which I am sure I am) just blame it on the hair bleach and keep doing what you are doing. :)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The white has a lot of different shades of grey with a hint of blue. The gradations don't show in the photo as much as they do in real life.

With the post- that's the way it is in the photo I'm working from, so that's the way it is in the painting.

This is really only my third painting, so I'm still working on getting it all down.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
a tiny bit more work.

painting11-25-06.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Oh ok. :) I was just trying to picture the light source. Like I said, I know nothing about lights or heck even paintings so what do I know! hahahaha. And for this being only your 3rd painting! Wow! I think we have a natural on our hands. Bravo!

Dinerman said:
With the post- that's the way it is in the photo I'm working from, so that's the way it is in the painting.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Those are unbelievable first and second attempts. Your color and depth are extraordinary for a beginning painter.

If I may lend one bit of constructive criticism, about the only thing I would suggest is that you work on tightening up your line work a bit. I realize you are going for a very loose, Hopper-esque style that's purposely lacking in small detail, but when dealing with man-made structures like cars and buildings make sure the strait lines are as crisp and clean as possible even if the overall style is loose and painterly.

Check out aviation artist Robert Taylor's work sometime. He's an excellent contemporary example of an artist who's work deals with mechanical objects and is both very painterly yet highly crisp at the same time. It gives the illusion of detail when there is really none there.

Keep it up.

-MC

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
y'all are probably sick of seeing this by now- but here's some more progress. Background still has a ways to go, but there are no blank spots on the canvas now.

painting11-28-061.jpg

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Not sick of seeing it at all.

I know you are getting a lot of advice, but go with the flow, it's looking good.

If you don't have a sketchbook that you regularly work in I highly recommend it. Carry it everywhere, take notes, sketch a fireplug, look at shadows-all these things add up and will help with your painting skills.

Every little thing you draw will make you a better artist, it is very much a cumulative process.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
yep. I draw all the time (you should see my school notes, lol )
maybe I'll post some of my other art up here.
most of it's diners or other roadside stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace