Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In progress Painting

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I did some work on thie painting over the weekend. It's a little place accross the street from La Posada in Winslow, AZ.

Sky needs to be repainted, and most of the background is either on the first coat or is unfinished, but it gives an idea.

what do you think?

Painting3.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman, are you familiar with Hopper's work? (esp. the gas pump "Gas" 1940, Oil on Canvas).

I think you have that kind of feel.

Well done. I have to remind myself that you are a young man, your diaries are great.

:eusa_clap

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
well- I'm still learning.
Art at school is a joke (though I'm getting work together so I can take AP art next year).
My art teacher went out of business, so no more help from her.
I'm kind of making it up as I go along, with some very helpful pointers via email from John Baeder.

Painting is my way of relieving all the stress I build up at school.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hopper

I'll second comparison to Hopper. Reminiscent of his period locale,
tone, and societal isolation--your diner stands solitaire, bathed in
sunlight--a contrast to Hopper's Night Hawks, but of a similar
vein. Great work. :eusa_clap

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Dinerman~ great job!! I recently bought some watercolors just to fool around and amuse myself... after looking at your stuff I can see that I need to practice!:p

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
well- I'm still learning.
Art at school is a joke (though I'm getting work together so I can take AP art next year).
My art teacher went out of business, so no more help from her.
I'm kind of making it up as I go along, with some very helpful pointers via email from John Baeder.

Painting is my way of relieving all the stress I build up at school.

Art class was a bad joke in my school too. The teachers seemed to just assume that students already knew how to draw. We were expected to carry out our assignments without any solid base of drawing knowledge. Like being expected to run without first knowing how to walk.
However, I did eventually learn a lot by simply practicing, reading, and studying the work of the old masters.
One book in particular that really helped me was, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain", by Betty Edwards. Excellent book that could teach anyone how to draw far beyond their current capabilities.
Talent, I think, is nothing more than the overwhelming desire to learn to do something, and do it well.
And art is literally 1 percent inspiration, and 99 percent perspiration.
I think you have a great grasp of both of those concepts, as it shows in your work. Keep it up. :eusa_clap

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Some words of advice...

Gread foundation. Good start. Dont get overwrought in the details just yet, like hte words on the signs in the window or the flag in the bkg. Those are the accent points of interest in the piece, save those for last.

How are you going to handel the 'white' of the building? What types of colors are in its shaddows? For an expert take on colored shaddows I recommend Degas.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace