Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Rememberance

Norumbega

One of the Regulars
You know.....I just wanted to recognize the passing of Delores Hope, wife of the funniest man I ever observed. His body of work, his timing, his sense of patriotism in doing all of those USO shows in Vietnam......and well, beside every great man, is a great woman, and Delores was that woman. She died today at 102.
My best wishes to them........they are now reunited! The passing of another figure from our Greatest Generation. We are all a little poorer today.

Thanks for posting. What a sweet pair they were. They lived down the street (at the time) from us in Toluca Lake, and every Halloween, gave out a ton of money and goodies to the kids - many of whom were literally brought over from all over LA due to the neighborhood and it's generous people.
They were a part of our past that was classy and wonderful. Bob Hope is one of my favorite actors - I'm not sure folks realize how dang funny he was.
RIP - hopefully, they're together now...

Steven180

One of the Regulars
Here, here. God bless her.

Had the honor of meeting Bob Hope at the reopening of the Statue of Liberty in 1985; have no doubt that his wife's sacrifice and support was exceptional in his great service.

M.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
She was a GREAT talent in her own right. For those interested, the Big Broadcast on WFUV FM and www.wfuv.org , next Sunday evening from 8 to 12 Eastern Time will do a tribute to her, including a number of songs by her.

scooter

Practically Family
I was lucky enough to see Mr. Hope at a USO show when I was a young Marine. He was indeed, a classy and caring fellow and a prince of a man. I knew nothing of Delores except that she was his wife. If he loved her, that's all I need to know, she must have been a hell of a woman!

Norumbega

One of the Regulars
Well said everyone.......what a wonderful generation of people, and as others have stated, what great talents and people filled with generosity. I'm so thankful that we have known them.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There was a great story that she told about meeting him. She was appearing in a Broadway show at the time, about 1933, and she met him somewhere. She thought he was was some "chorus boy". She came to the show he was in, "Roberta". She found out that he was the star, and at the time the hottest thing on Broadway.
Don't we all wish that Hollywood had had the sense to star him in the film, instead of the (admittedly wonderful) Fred Astaire? Ah, well.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
We have indeed lost another of one of the "greats". I do not recall, as I was very young, but my Parent's met Bob Hope in Palm Springs while on a vacation. He was a very kind person and yes, the talent. Sad for the lose, but as already made mention, his Wife is with him now.

rue

Rue, you said it best.

Kirk

:)

1146821grid-6x2.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
Mr. and Mrs. Hope were fixtures here in the Palm Springs area for many, many years. They gave a lot of time to local charities and causes, and will both be greatly missed. My grandfather spent a good deal of time with both, and always had complimentary things to say about them, which is saying a mouthful, as he dealt with many famous folks in the desert, and didn't always remember them fondly. They will both be remembered for a long time around here. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points