Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Remembrance

Hondo

One Too Many
WilsonSelby2005.jpg

Were loosing many vets from an era that means much to me and I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m sure to others.
Although I never knew him, it tough to take I mean death, I just flipped the paper this morning and read ?¢‚Ǩ?ìdeath notice?¢‚Ǩ? quite an interesting guy, there are many like him no longer with us.
Rest in Peace.

WILSON, Marne Selby
Aug 18, 1918-Aug 19, 2005
The son of William Wilson and Virla Rue, he was born and raised in Sacramento. He graduated from Sacramento High School then went off to college at Washington State. When World War II broke out he joined the Army Air Force and began pilot training. He arrived in England in August of 1943 as a 2nd Lieutenant assigned to the 96th bomb group to fly B-17s. On his third mission he became one of the only pilots to attempt to dogfight a Focke-Wulf 190 fighter with a B-17 and survive, stating, "If he was going to get us, I was going to take him with me." His ability and reputation as a pilot soon led to a series of rapid promotions which gave him the rank of Major within six months. He was designated as a lead pilot for the 8th Air Force and commanded groups of up to 70 B-17s on missions deep into the heart of Germany. He survived 35 missions and came back on two occasions with a badly shot up aircraft and wounded on board. When the war ended, he returned to Sacramento and started working for his father in the family furniture business at 1309 J Street. In 1964 he moved the store to 2333 Arden Way and transformed Wilson's Furniture into one of the largest and most successful contemporary furniture stores on the West Coast. In 1982 he retired to Palm Springs and spent the last years of his life volunteering at the Palm Springs Air Museum, taking care of the B-17. He always denied being a "hero" and was quick to give all the credit for being heroes to the men he served with and the ones who didn't come home. Flying B-17s was what he described as being the greatest experience of his life. He is survived by his loving wife Jo Anne, and his children, Brent Wilson, Steven Sheets and Cindy Sheets of Sacramento, Mark Wilson of San Leandro and Kevin Wilson of Cameron Park. A private service was held in Palm Springs. Donations may be made in his name to the Palm Springs Air Museum.
Published in the Sacramento Bee on 9/27/2005.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Flitcraft said:
Amen, Brother Mycroft!

Thanks, I mean I recomend EVERYONE should talk to these guys, one guy who works at my golf course was a Marine Sniper on Iwo Jima and he told me all about the 1903 Springfield, how he saw the first atomic bomb test in New Mexico (I think it was there), and also about Colt .45's and why normal soliders were just ok shots. I mean these guys are cool. He also talk to me about hats. Man, I came to play golf and ended up with a hisotry lession, it is awsome.

varga49

One of the Regulars
Mycroft said:
No problem, just talk to any Vet and listen to whatever they say for an hour and respect and reflect. :)
..Being a Vet myself, and having seen my son through two tours of Iraq, I make sure all the vets I meet, new and old alike, know that their sacrifice is appreciated!

Mycroft

One Too Many
varga49 said:
..Being a Vet myself, and having seen my son through two tours of Iraq, I make sure all the vets I meet, new and old alike, know that their sacrifice is appreciated!

Very cool my firend, and I am listing with all ears to learn.

Hondo

One Too Many
We lost another, Rest in Peace...

Robert Hanson, last Memphis Belle crew member, dies
This story was published Tuesday, October 4th, 2005

The Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Robert Hanson, a native of Walla Walla, Wash., and the last surviving crew member of the famed Memphis Belle B-17 bomber that flew combat missions over Europe during World War II, died of congestive heart failure. He was 85.

Hanson and his wife had moved from Arizona to Albuquerque recently to be close to their daughter. Hanson, who had suffered from heart problems for some time, died Saturday, family members said.

He was the radio operator on the Memphis Belle, which flew 25 combat missions over Germany and France while escaping some close calls. Hanson told his family stories about a chase involving several German planes, the bomber's tail being shot off and a nose dive that left the crew wondering if they should use their parachutes.

"It's the end of an era. There's no one left," Hanson's daughter, Mary Black, said Monday evening.

Hanson's family remembers him as a caring father and grandfather who was known for his sense of humor. Friends say he was fond of ending his phone conversations with "dit, dit, dit, dah, dit, dah" - the same way radio operators signed off using Morse code.

Hanson was a Walla Walla native, joined the military in 1941 and was assigned to the crew of the Memphis Belle. The bomber flew to England in September 1942 and departed on its first mission in November.

Army records show the plane flew 148 hours and dropped more than 60 tons of bombs.

During its missions, the Belle was hit by flak, cannon shells and machine gun bullets. The plane's major parts were replaced at least once, and four crew members died during combat.

Family members said Hanson came close once.

He was writing in a log book one day and had to sneeze. As his head moved, a bullet missed him and put a hole through the book.

"He would always say, 'When it's your time, it's your time,'" his daughter said. "They had a lot of close calls."

Jason Black said he remembers stories about his grandfather not knowing if the crew would make it back from a mission.

"They were always thankful once they saw the coast," he said.

Hanson put the name of his sweetheart, Irene, next to the window where he sat just in case someone needed to know who to contact if he didn't make it, his grandson said. Hanson and Irene were married for 63 years and had three children.

Hanson is survived by his wife, 88-year-old Irene; daughter Mary Black of Albuquerque; son Rick Hanson of Spokane, Wash.; and six grandchildren.

A memorial service was planned for Wednesday afternoon at French Mortuary in northeast Albuquerque. Family members said Hanson would be flanked by photos of his days aboard the Belle, his bomber jacket and the famous log book.

Hanson and the crew finished their 25th mission on May 17, 1943. He went on to work as a salesman for Nalley Fine Foods in Walla Walla, Wash., and became a regional manager. He later worked for a candy company in Spokane, Wash.

Hanson's family said he enjoyed spending time with his grandchildren, and when he was able he toured the country speaking about his experiences aboard the Belle.

The Boeing Flying Fortress, which was named for the commander's Memphis, Tenn., sweetheart at the time, has been partially dismantled and on limited display in a Memphis-area hangar since March 2003.

Efforts to build a permanent museum in Memphis fell apart last year, and the Air Force announced in August it was moving the plane to the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. Workers began preparing the plane for the move last week.

The adventures of the Belle were brought back to life by a 1990 film, "Memphis Belle," that told a fictionalized version of the bomber's final mission.

MDFrench

A-List Customer
As someone who has been very closely connected with the Memphis Belle my whole life, I have to dispute a grevious error with the Associated Press' article on the combat history of the plane.

It states that four crew members died in combat. I don't know where they got their information, but according to all of the multiple sources I have at my disposal, including a close relationship with pilot Bob Morgan before he died, all ten members of the Belle crew survived and I believe tail-gunner Quinlan was the only one wounded in combat. The Belle was a very lucky airplane by all accounts.

The AP needs to get better fact checkers.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy