Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Search Of: The Great Hot Dog Stand

grundie

One of the Regulars
My wife's home town of Liverpool, NY has a nice hot dog stand called Heids. It's been going since 1917. The 1950s decor of the building is amazing.

I'll admit my knowledge of hot dogs stands is limited, but I rather like it.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Blackies

We were driving from Northeastern Pa/ Pocono mountains area back to Newport County RI, so since Blackie's was along the way, we stopped. My first-blush impression was 'Good, not great'. I did two wit mustard.

Kinney

New in Town
Adcurium said:
We were driving from Northeastern Pa/ Pocono mountains area back to Newport County RI, so since Blackie's was along the way, we stopped. My first-blush impression was 'Good, not great'. I did two wit mustard.

I've never had one with just the mustard - I've always slopped on the relish, which makes it for me. I suppose if you aren't a relish fan, or want one without, it's much the same as most hot dog stands.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Chicago Style Hot Dogs

Well, I personally Love PAM's Hot Dogs on the Loop In University City (St. Louis). Vienna Brand hot dogs and made JUST RIGHT! Great place to have a dog. Their Web page below:

http://www.pamscsd.com/

Wolfie's in St. Louis is ok too, but the atmosphere at Pam's is great.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

I had 2 Nathans (in the natural casing) hot dogs on white with sauerkraut mixed with grilled onions for lunch today. Beaver brand Deli Mustard and a dab of Heinz. Max the Wonderdog had a few little pieces of his namesake as a wiener dog. From one dog to another, "Hi!"

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
I know what you're thinking. Did he eat five hot dogs or six. And to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I lost track myself...

If you're ever in Kankakee, IL - might I suggest the following local favorite - Jaenickie's (pronounced Yawn-eh-kees). Great chili dogs and despite two locations, definitely not a chain.

jaenickes2.JPG

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

We (Wichita) have a new hot dog stand called Brats N Hots. It's pretty good and it's not expensive.

http://www.bratsnhots.com/

The lunch combo is $6.43 with tax and includes a bunch of different hot dogs, any 5 toppings, one side order, and a drink. It's difficult to beat that. The place is in a new strip mall (BOOOOO), but is clean and the food is well worth $6.50.

Later

davidraphael

Practically Family
For me, the best hot dogs (wienerle ('Little Viennas') or, sometimes, rotwuerst) are to be found in Germany and served with mittelscharfer senf (medium hot mustard).
After all, the Germans have been making and eating them for hundreds of years...

My favourite locations for this are :
a) at a butcher I know in a small bavarian village. A few locals gather in the back of his shop every friday morning for sausage and a beer
b) at Viehscheid - the day when all the cows come down the Alps after grazing all summer. Lots of sausage and, yes, more beer!

Outside of Germany, it's gotta be Pinks in LA

But, slightly off topic, the Brits still make the best sausages.... :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch