Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Store Displays.

Marty M.

Vendor
Dare to vest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carter said:
I WANT that three-piece! Who's line is that? There just aren't that many nice three-piece suits available these days.
This would look swell with my new AE Spectators!

Hi Carter, I like the way that vested Glen Plaid turned out also. That suit is a custom suit made out of Barberis 120's wool flannel fabric. I don't know off hand what that suit would retail at. My guess is about $1500.00 with the vest. Barberis is my favorite Italian Mill that I work with. I never have any problems with their fabrics. And they're less expensive then the other comparable Italian Mills. And that's a good thing because good Italian fabric isn't cheap.

There arn't many retailers that carry vested suits or just extra vests. We do, but we're a little more niched then most. Maybe if a few of the designers like Armani, Zegna and Hugo Boss :eek: told them that it was ok to sell vests they probably would lol . By the way, which Spectators did you get from AE?
My best,
Marty

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Marty M. said:
There arn't many retailers that carry vested suits or just extra vests. We do, but we're a little more niched then most. Maybe if a few of the designers like Armani, Zegna and Hugo Boss :eek: told them that it was ok to sell vests they probably would lol
Seems to this interested observer that the vest market these days is all either upmarket (think Polo-ey, tweedy and lapeled) or downmarket (catering either to the devotee of bargain-rack Italian or the retiree who hasn't dressed up since 1982).

carter

I'll Lock Up
By the way, which Spectators did you get from AE?

Marty, The A&E Spectators I purchased are the Ramsey. These are the same shoes as pictured on pg 45 of the summer issue of Classic Style magazine. I purchased the belt as well. I also purchased the AE belt shown on page 42 of the same issue. (Those shoes are the McClain BTW. There's a misprint under the photo to the right that says they are on pg 39.) This belt is a very close match for a pair of J&M woven oxfords (which I find to be much more comfortable than my Mezlan woven oxfords). I just received a pair of mahogany perforated captoe medallion oxfords by Alden. I'm well-stocked on shoes.
It's considerably easier to find good footwear than it is to find a vest. In your experience, is it possible to secure some additional yardage of suiting fabric and have a vest tailored to match a two-piece suit?
Could CS become the new Apparel Arts?

Dashing1

New in Town
Marty-

Outstanding!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The pics you post from your store are always a highlight for me on this site. I hope your musings bring you great business and that I can someday travel to your neck of the woods to become a MM customer.

Again, kudos!!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Fascinating comparison with the pix from the 1916 Buffalo store.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=21549
Maybe you're channeling Clement Kieffer, Jr.
Speaking of props in displays, does anyone remember the original (Geez, I can't remember the name. The stores had all safari gear decorations, then they got bought out by the GAP and turned into a super bland line of clothes. It'll come to me.) store in the West Village (it was a Pioneer super market before that)? Anyway they had a whole Jeep in the store as a prop. And the old Avirex store on lower Broadway had a whole SNJ-6 (Navy version of the T-6 Texan) WW II trainer airplane in their store. Whatever.
Your store looks like it's fun to just wander around in. Beautiful stuff.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes!

I just dashed to the computer the make an edit, but you beat me to it. Senior moment. The harder I tried to remember, the more it wouldn't come.
Anyhow, I wish there were a single store in Brooklyn as classy as that grand place in Minneapolis.

Marty M.

Vendor
It's all in the presentation.

dhermann1 said:
I just dashed to the computer the make an edit, but you beat me to it. Senior moment. The harder I tried to remember, the more it wouldn't come.
Anyhow, I wish there were a single store in Brooklyn as classy as that grand place in Minneapolis.

Thanks Dhermann. Grand place on a budget. Thanks for reminding me of those earlier pic's of Marc's. I would have loved to walked by those windows everyday. I'll get some great ideas from them.
I think that you can tell almost everything about the retailer by his displays. Both exterior and interior. To me, bad displays at a haberdashery is like going to an expensive restaurant and seeing that their restroom was an afterthought. Since most haberdashers carry the same merchandice, the only things that seperate them from their competitors is Service and Presentation. And honestly, most stores seem to suck at that also.
Marty

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Wow!......

Stunning display- as always!
In this day and age of the slapdash, its always refreshing to see a merchant who takes pride in his establishment!
Thanks for the post!

P.S.-
That's a stunning black with blue pinstriped suit. One of those bold patterns that looks great together.

StanleyVanBuren

Always love seeing these displays.

What really strikes me the most, at least this time, is the borderline-insane amount of attention to detail. "Impressive" does not begin to describe it.

And of course, the fishing lures. lol

carter

I'll Lock Up
You are thinking of Banana Republic.

Speaking of Banana Republic (pre-Gap buy-out), remember the music? It was all 30's and 40's. It was supplied on cassette by AEI (remember them?) out of Seattle. I bought an Eisenhower Jacket from the Galleria store in Dallas about 25 years ago. No idea where it is now. I believe my ex gave it to her step-sister. :(
BTW, anyone remember Abercrombie & Fitch when you really could get outfitted for a safari there? How about their Manhatten store?

Marty M.

Vendor
Two thumbs up.

carter said:
Marty, In your experience, is it possible to secure some additional yardage of suiting fabric and have a vest tailored to match a two-piece suit?
Could CS become the new Apparel Arts?

Carter, A big yes on both. A vest shouldn't take more then a yard of extra fabric. Unless you're using the same fabric for the back of the vest. This is based on fabric that is 60" in width. If you're a big guy, making a double breasted vest or making the vest out of a plaid fabric, you'll have to have more then one yard.
I do see a bright future for Classic Style Magazine. MK and his group are aggressively heading in the right direction. And while his competitors may have deeper pockets, they have a crap product.
Much Success,
Marty

Marty M.

Vendor
Dagwood said:
Marty -

Glad to see you posting again. Great display as always!! See you got the new A-E shoes and, apparently, have taken sides in the Astaire/Grant debate. :)

Well done!

You know Dagwood, I never actually thought about the Astaire/Grant style thing. Even though Cary Grant had an impeccable and ellegant style, Astaire wrote the book on personal style. I always learn something new when I look at a picture of Astaire. Who else could wear a double breasted suit, button down collar, collar bar and tie bar? Astaire and only Astaire. Thanks for the kind words.
Marty

carter

I'll Lock Up
A vest shouldn't take more then a yard of extra fabric. Unless you're using the same fabric for the back of the vest. This is based on fabric that is 60" in width. If you're a big guy, making a double breasted vest or making the vest out of a plaid fabric, you'll have to have more then one yard.

Thanks Marty. So I should ask the merchant if it is possible to buy and extra yard (or 2 since I'm a 50 Reg) of the suiting fabric?
Should the fabric on the back of the vest match the jacket lining?
Carter

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marty M. said:
You know Dagwood, I never actually thought about the Astaire/Grant style thing. Even though Cary Grant had an impeccable and ellegant style, Astaire wrote the book on personal style. I always learn something new when I look at a picture of Astaire. Who else could wear a double breasted suit, button down collar, collar bar and tie bar? Astaire and only Astaire. Thanks for the kind words.
Marty

Not wanting to import that debate here (but, too late!), I think probably only Astaire should wear it. Grant probably wore more accessible ensembles on the whole. He just did it better than anyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80