Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inappropriate-ness

HepKitty

One Too Many
Veronica said:
Exactly ^^. My favorite answer too.
Now, I am having fun of it.
But I remember a very heartbreaking moment when I was taking the plane to go on "holidays": I had been through a TA the week before and de facto lost my first baby. We were flying away to try to change our minds and heal...
When the pretty stewardess came back to our sits, and looking at my stomach, asked me in front of everybody if I was "The Pregnant Passenger on this flight"...
I think I may have burnt few brain cells because I mubled something weird.
Never felt so alone and mortified.

I'm so sorry that happened to you, it must have been awful. I'm sure I would have had a hard time not smacking the flight attendant

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I get this a lot, and always have (I put my weight on the tummy first and it's the last to go).

My standard response to "are you pregnant?" is, "No, I'm just fat."

They always look REALLY embarrassed as being fat is the Great Sin in the USA - funny, considering how we are the fattest country overall.

I enjoy their discomfiture. If I am feeling particularly bitchy, I will also inform them that I am sterile and have never been pregnant, then watch them squirm!

It doesn't actually bother me that I am sterile but they always think it must, after all aren't ALL women supposed to have babies?

What business is it of anyone elses what shape I am or whether or not I procreate?

HepKitty

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
I get this a lot, and always have (I put my weight on the tummy first and it's the last to go).

They always look REALLY embarrassed as being fat is the Great Sin in the USA - funny, considering how we are the fattest country overall.

I enjoy their discomfiture. If I am feeling particularly bitchy, I will also inform them that I am sterile and have never been pregnant, then watch them squirm!

It doesn't actually bother me that I am sterile but they always think it must, after all aren't ALL women supposed to have babies?

What business is it of anyone elses what shape I am or whether or not I procreate?

haha I can imagine the looks on their faces. society is weird. women are expected to be married and have babies, and what kind of freak are you if you don't... it's a sad attitude to have

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Pregnancy was dealt with delicately even in radio serials -- they didn't even use the word "expecting" to denote a pregnancy. The tip off that a baby was on the way was when references started to be made to a character's "condition" -- as in, "You shouldn't do that *in your condition.*"

A bit much, perhaps, but I'd still prefer it to random belly-thumping from strangers on the street.

My sister is pregnant at the moment and is milking it, mostly for comic effect. She groans when getting up or sitting down, holds her back and sticks her tummy out further and says she couldn't possibly do X,Y or Z in "her condition", hilarious. My mum remembers people calling talking about "her condition" in the 70s!!! I think it was a particularly Irish/catholic thing, god forbid they talk about how the woman came to be in "the condition", they were all immaculate conceptions in those days apparently!

Miss_Becky

Familiar Face
"What business is it of anyone elses what shape I am or whether or not I procreate?"

AMEN Sister!

Also, I get frustrated when I hear the word "sterile" to describe a woman who cannot have children. It just sounds so harsh, as if she is a robot or something that is not "alive". Just because her body's chemistry is so that it isn't made to make or carry a child, doesn't mean her body is useless..Sorry, that is the feeling I get when I hear that word.

If anything the people not procreating are doing a great service to the planet Earth and Mother Nature. So blah to all the 'haters' ! ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
TimeWarpWife said:
I believe I Love Lucy was the, or one of the, first TV shows to actually show a pregnant woman. But, it certainly wasn't referred to as "pregnant", but expecting.

As far as I can recall, the tv show The Flintstones was the first to actively write a pregnancy so visibly into their story line.

The Flinstones was a prime time TV show when it started. In the early 60s Wilma having Pebbles was a HUGE deal. Remember her little maternity outfit, so cute :) Thats a completely new character design for her, mid season. Thats a big deal. They were also one of the first couples in prime time to sleep in one large bed.

Im trying to find a pick of pregnant Wilma.

I remember when I Love Lucy started, Miss Ball was pregnant, but was that written into the show, or was she just pregnant in real life? I actually hate it when TV shows write real life pregnancies of actresses into the show. It sucks.

LD

Miss_Becky

Familiar Face
there aren't a lot of pictures/stills of Wilma pregnant, but I did find this episode clip.
She is wearing what I think is a cute little maternity skirt and top...and she does look a little fuller in the face. I love it, she is a cutie! I also found a photo to compare the "expecting" look to lol
animated-sexy-animation-characters---fred-wilma-flintstone-flintstones-10387331.jpg

she is in the first 50 seconds of the clip -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIwgSn71c3Q

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
TimeWarpWife said:
I believe I Love Lucy was the, or one of the, first TV shows to actually show a pregnant woman. But, it certainly wasn't referred to as "pregnant", but expecting. There was also a time when pregnant women were discouraged from appearing in public once they started showing. I made the blunder once of asking a woman if she was pregnant and she wasn't, I'll never make that embarrassing mistake again.

My mother told me that when she had my sister she had to quit working when she started to show that was in 1967. By the time I was born she could work during her pregnancy.

Although now they force us at least at my job (teacher) to work up to the end. I left work with my last one to drive myself to the hospital to have my second son the other was born during winter break otherwise I would have had to return to work after the break to work. I think we should be able to leave work paid when we hit the 8month mark personally. I was miserable being at work trying to do my job in my beached whale persona.

As for choosing to have or not to have children all should be free to make that choice w/out criticism, it is a choice!!!! If everyone was having 5 we would have a huge over population problem. Some on the lounge said in one of the threads I don't remember which one that "having kids now is like buying a boat you have to decide if you can afford the payments" I thought that was a very truthful statement. There are just as many benefits to not having kids as there are to having them they are just different.
Ok off my soap box now.

PrairieSunrise

Familiar Face
CherryWry said:
On the flip side, my cousin knew she wanted three kids by the time she was 30, and when she was pregnant with her third child people would say, "You're having another one? So soon?"

Hear, hear! My parents had a large family and my Mom got far to many "You DO know what causes that? Right?" from folks.

It's just as rude to comment on the unusually large number of children as it is to comment on the lack of them.

A dear friend just buried her fourth child, second daughter who was still born. A thoughtless stranger made a comment to her the other day about "having the perfect family, now that she has her little girl". (Her first two are boys).... lucky for that stranger, my friend is very polite, but it really tore her up.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
Grrrrrr

Uhg yes add me to the club of being asked if im preagnant when I wasn't. Once by my aunt and a few years later by a male co-worker (I think I called im a ass....) He was like "well I was just thinking to say good for your hour having a baby" yeah that would of been IF I were preagnant, but yeah I was upset about it.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:

Bwahhhahaaaa!!
That's great...It made me picture you saying that in an 'Elizabeth Taylor' voice!!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Puzzicato said:
A couple of my childfree friends and I have reclaimed "Deliberately barren" after it was used in a derogatory way about the current (maybe) Australian Prime Minister. Deliberately barren and proud!

Also, talking of Australia, 'I think I'm barren, Sharon' is one of the best lines ever in Kath and Kim lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner