Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inauguration top hat

univibe88

One Too Many
I have read here about how JFK did in fact wear the "traditional" top hat to his inauguration, despite keeping it his lap most of the time.

Has this tradition lived on past Kennedy? Have presidents after JFK worn a top hat? Can we expect the president elect in Jan 2009 to be wearing a top hat?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Well, I know Johnson didn't.

LBJ_oath.jpg

He probably would have, though, if given the chance.

-Dave

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm not finding a picture, but LBJ did wear one the second time out.

With quick Googling:

Nixon didn't.
Ford didn't get a proper inaugural.
Carter didn't.
Reagan - by that time hats in general were thoroughly gone from the male wardrobe.
Bush 1 - no.
Clinton - no.
Bush 2 - no.

So it's a chance for whomever to revive it in 09, if they chose. It would certainly be interesting.

univibe88

One Too Many
Unfortunately the tradition seems to be lost and I don't think it will even cross the mind of whoever is elected.

But I agree, it would be cool if he did. I know if anyone here were to be elected the tradition would live on!

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
Kennedy wore the top hat because he was wearing a morning coat; formal daywear. The topper is (or was) considered an obligatory part of this.

Unfortunately, after him, the tradition lapsed. Johnson entered office without an inauguration his first term, and by the second, he probably felt it too formal. The only other president to wear formalwear (and not merely a suit) for his inauguration has been Reagan, who wore a stroller jacket. Regrettably, he did not spring for the full morning coat + top hat.

Kennedy was actually reviving the tradition... FDR had, of course, worn toppers, but Truman and Eisenhower thought it was outdated and too formal for the "democratic American people." They wore homburgs instead. (This is, actually, partially understandable when you look at their backgrounds -FDR and Kennedy were Easterners of high social standing, while Harry Truman was from Missouri and Eisenhower was from Kansas -two states not known for formality of dress and manner, to say the least.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
DominusTecum said:
Harry Truman was from Missouri and Eisenhower was from Kansas -two states not known for formality of dress and manner, to say the least.
Actually, Truman was a former haberdasher and one of our better dressed presidents. Flusser uses a few pictures of him in Dressing The Man.

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
Yes, he was better dressed... but not in a topper (unless I've completely lost my memory, which is possible.) As I recall, he failed as a haberdasher. :p

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Incredible photo...

This is an iconic photo...

Note the secretary's thumb holding LBJ's hand against the Bible.

Before his death, Jack Valenti (back left) spoke of Mrs. Kennedy's poise, amidst her trauma, with her husband's remains flecked on her suit.

This photo is the epitome of American democracy.

David Conwill said:
Well, I know Johnson didn't.

LBJ_oath.jpg

He probably would have, though, if given the chance.

-Dave

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
:eek:fftopic:

Actually, that's not a bible, it's a Roman Catholic handmissal. It's an interesting bit of trivia: Johnson (not JFK) was the only president to be sworn in on one... as you can see from the photograph, he was sworn into office right there on Air Force 1, and they needed a text for the swearing in. All that was at hand was a (new, I believe) hand-missal that Jackie Kennedy happened to have with her at the time of all this, and seeing as it has gospel texts in it, it was judged satisfactory.

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
I'm liking that guy's "conservative politics bow tie" look, in the center of the pic, behind Johnson. Also, it's interesting to note that Johnson is wearing a 3-button suit, so presumably he didn't share his running mate's famed fondness for the 2-button variety.

Ben

One of the Regulars
Bow Tie Guy

Is that Air Force One? I seem to recall that Johnson was not on that trip.

The reason I ask is I think the guy in the bow tie might be Ben Bradley, the editor of the Washington Post. Who, as I recall, was in Washington and part of the group that met the Kennedys at the airport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore