Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I, too, will watch that trailer several more times. It does look promising. Also, in my case, it is very relevant. I recently retired and several good friends are retiring in the months to come. When Raiders first came out we were all very young, hopeful, and bound for adventures of our own. It strikes me that Indy’s retirement in Dial is perfectly timed to match the retirement of his original fan base. (I remember skipping a college class for the premiere of Temple of Doom.) If handled well, this final Indiana Jones adventure could be extremely well loved by those of us who have been along for the ride from the very beginning.

Am planning to be there on day one when it opens in Oahu. Am already planning my outfit. A leather jacket won’t work during summer in Hawaii. Will probably go with my safari jacket and my brown Fedora. ;)

Tiki Tom

This is the first trailer I've seen that gives a sense of plot. It looks superb. I'm still hoping they don't dabble in *actual* time travel, but thus far this looks really solid to me.

I share your hope. However, that one scene —where Indy and his God Daughter are parachuting from a WWII German bomber— has me wondering.

Tiki Tom

“Okay, okay,” you say, “I know about the Antikythera Mechanism and know that it was used to calculate the movement of the planets. …But how the heck does anyone make the (preposterous) jump to the conclusion that it was a time machine?”

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
“Okay, okay,” you say, “I know about the Antikythera Mechanism and know that it was used to calculate the movement of the planets. …But how the heck does anyone make the (preposterous) jump to the conclusion that it was a time machine?”

Some people take an inch and claim a mile. Although an ancient mechanism for astronomic purpose,
it's truly marvelous, a forerunner to sextant and latitude calculate. You might be interested in Fibonacci and his 'Golden Mean' mathematical retracement off Elliot Wave projection.

You know the answer as well as the rest of us. A lot of these so-called "Conspiracy Theory" people get so carried away in their own minds that they convince themselves the latest whatever-it-is discovery is what THEY want it to be--time machine, proof of vampires, wormhole to the land of Oz, etc.--and stop listening to anything that proves them wrong.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Holy shitake mushrooms, what's with the full page ads here now? Yeesh.

The scene^ was, unfortunately, what I have come to expect from IJ movies since CS. It's trying too hard to be like a Marvel Universe film in its pacing.

There are so many things wrong in the details.

Everything is too fast. No one can have conversations like that when several vehicles are moving that fast that close. The three-wheelers would never stand up to that type of abuse for that long. The non-chalance of jumping from one vehicle to another is completely unbelievable. And no one (good guys) gets hurt. At all.

Now before you tell me that it's an action film and all that, suspension of disbelief depends on context. In a superhero film it's easy to do because the entire concept is not real. But IJ films are about a human being, and now an 80 year old human being, and adding that I can't get around how false it all feels. It doesn't pull me in and make think 'ohmygod!' because it's real people just too far out from reality.

And the CGI doesn't help. Practical effects, no matter how well executed, don't push past what can be achieved in real life. And you know you're looking at real life, no matter how carefully constructed the scenes are.

Edward

Bartender
You know the answer as well as the rest of us. A lot of these so-called "Conspiracy Theory" people get so carried away in their own minds that they convince themselves the latest whatever-it-is discovery is what THEY want it to be--time machine, proof of vampires, wormhole to the land of Oz, etc.--and stop listening to anything that proves them wrong.

My wife likes to lull herself to sleep with a show called Ancient Aliens. It's basically an entire show built around the premise that ancient peoples couldn't possibly have done anything of note, therefore it was aliens. Where it gets really funny is when they bend over backwards to disprove the idea of 'God' as an evidence-free fantasy by explaining everything supernatural with aliens, based on a level of conjecture and lack of evidence that is, if anything, even more of a leap of faith than any existing organised religion.

Holy shitake mushrooms, what's with the full page ads here now? Yeesh.

The scene^ was, unfortunately, what I have come to expect from IJ movies since CS. It's trying too hard to be like a Marvel Universe film in its pacing.

There are so many things wrong in the details.

Everything is too fast. No one can have conversations like that when several vehicles are moving that fast that close. The three-wheelers would never stand up to that type of abuse for that long. The non-chalance of jumping from one vehicle to another is completely unbelievable. And no one (good guys) gets hurt. At all.

Now before you tell me that it's an action film and all that, suspension of disbelief depends on context. In a superhero film it's easy to do because the entire concept is not real. But IJ films are about a human being, and now an 80 year old human being, and adding that I can't get around how false it all feels. It doesn't pull me in and make think 'ohmygod!' because it's real people just too far out from reality.

And the CGI doesn't help. Practical effects, no matter how well executed, don't push past what can be achieved in real life. And you know you're looking at real life, no matter how carefully constructed the scenes are.

Well, that trip down the steps couldn't have been too kind to his 80-year old bladder, that's for sure.

Topper

Vendor
So who else watched the Trailer at abount 1.13 jaw droped as you see either Indiana wearing hat backwards ( when it turns head driving) .... or more likely they flipped the shot in editing so the Bow apppears on the right side of the hat !

Topper

Vendor
So who else watched the Trailer at abount 1.13 jaw droped as you see either Indiana wearing hat backwards ( when it turns head driving) .... or more likely they flipped the shot in editing so the Bow apppears on the right side of the hat !
For those who missed it

Attachments

• 20230408_194725.jpg
    20230408_194725.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
There's a picture from the film that's floating around:
KNqqrMM.jpg

I notice Indy's wearing a wedding ring, but as Marion isn't featured in the trailers or on the poster art (I don't think Karen Allen is listed in the imdb credits, either) I have a feeling something bad has happened leading up to the events of Dial of Destiny.

I sense a bit of heartache coming with this film. I'm not exactly complaining- if it's appropriate to the story, then it doesn't matter. I just get bummed when characters get killed offscreen because they have no place in the next movie.

(This is all conjecture; perhaps Marion does show up as a cameo somewhere.)

Tiki Tom

I notice Indy's wearing a wedding ring, but as Marion isn't featured in the trailers or on the poster art (I don't think Karen Allen is listed in the imdb credits, either) I have a feeling something bad has happened leading up to the events of Dial of Destiny.

I sense a bit of heartache coming with this film. I'm not exactly complaining- if it's appropriate to the story, then it doesn't matter. I just get bummed when characters get killed offscreen because they have no place in the next movie.

(This is all conjecture; perhaps Marion does show up as a cameo somewhere.)

I have a feeling that the Indiana Jones character will be highly relatable to many of us geezers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner