Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Cynics abound in and around town but Jones and the Dial of Destiny will hit the spot I'm certain.
I only wish I had a Jonsey Yank leather oil pull to wear with my fedora and guts enough to wear it to MickeyDees.

By end June, I'd die in an Indy jacket..... otherwise I'd certainly wear it out. But then once you've been on the tube in full Frank'n'Furter drag, anything else is a dawdle.

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
I've been avoiding the detail of the reviews here. The general vibe of the UK reviews is the predictable negative snark, which reveals nothing other than reconfirming the the critics here wanted to hate it going in. I think I'll wait beyond that until I see it for myself.
I've been rewatching the trailers and my YouTube feed wants to send me a whole thunderin' herd of videos of bloggers hollering about how bad it is. (I suspect most of them haven't even seen the film yet.) It's an easy thing to not click on them, so I'm with you.

Also, I have a friend who won't watch the tuk tuk chase- he has seen one of the trailers, and doesn't want to see anything else. He wants to go in having seen or heard as little as possible.

I don't have his willpower. :)

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I've decided to hunt down a leather oil pull like Indy's. Next, sometime summertime I will waltz around local scene
wearing fedora and jacket, stop in at MickeyD's and STARBUCKS standing amidst kids answer any and all Jonesy including Dial of Destiny complete review with whys n' wherefores as to why I am absolutely right and the critics all wrong. Then, I collect a complete film box set for a late summer Indy marathon. Stock up kitchen, fridge, drinks cabinet.
Explain all to GF and lock flat. She thinks I'm nuts anyway. I will wear my leather jacket and fedora for a non stop marathon taking copious notes for later review. This is it. Dial is the finale.

Edward

Bartender
I've been rewatching the trailers and my YouTube feed wants to send me a whole thunderin' herd of videos of bloggers hollering about how bad it is. (I suspect most of them haven't even seen the film yet.) It's an easy thing to not click on them, so I'm with you.

Also, I have a friend who won't watch the tuk tuk chase- he has seen one of the trailers, and doesn't want to see anything else. He wants to go in having seen or heard as little as possible.

I'm hopeful. Admittedly, I liked Crystal Skull. Sure, it's not perfect, but many of the criticisms levied at it don't stand up if the critic is also going to laud the original films by comparison. For me, it's on a par with Temple. I've always called Temple the weakest of the original three films, but even so when I watch it over again, somehow it's always better than I remember it being. Perhaps I over-compensate for the threat of nostalgia in my memory: Temple was the first of the films I saw. I'd never even heard of Indiana Jones when a friend's family took us to see Temple in the cinema the Summer before I turned ten, so it really was all new to me at that point.

If Dial is on a par between those two, I'll be happy enough. I've heard a lot of criticisms comparing it to The Force Awakens; if it manages that, I'll be perfectly happy.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm hopeful. Admittedly, I liked Crystal Skull. Sure, it's not perfect, but many of the criticisms levied at it don't stand up if the critic is also going to laud the original films by comparison. For me, it's on a par with Temple. I've always called Temple the weakest of the original three films, but even so when I watch it over again, somehow it's always better than I remember it being. Perhaps I over-compensate for the threat of nostalgia in my memory: Temple was the first of the films I saw. I'd never even heard of Indiana Jones when a friend's family took us to see Temple in the cinema the Summer before I turned ten, so it really was all new to me at that point.

If Dial is on a par between those two, I'll be happy enough. I've heard a lot of criticisms comparing it to The Force Awakens; if it manages that, I'll be perfectly happy.

I could not have said it better.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I must acquire a bullwhip too. I'll then practice out back and just say to any passer byes that I'm fly cast practicing.
Since I habitually cast fly with underhand rather than over movement. But I won't take it to Starbucks or Mickey Dees.

Edward

Bartender

I'm holding off from the leaked footage, but inhaling every trailer that comes my way! I'm trying not to get too wound up until I see the film (though as noted unlike many I wasn't disappointed with Skull), but I've honestly seen nothing yet that suggests it could be as bad as a lot of people want it to be.

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
I must acquire a bullwhip too. I'll then practice out back and just say to any passer byes that I'm fly cast practicing.
Since I habitually cast fly with underhand rather than over movement. But I won't take it to Starbucks or Mickey Dees.
I recommend Etsy.com you can find something reasonably priced there. Years ago there were other vendors I would recommend, but I know their prices are exorbitant. I bought a 10' bullwhip twenty years ago and it cost me $350. Now? It would hurt my wallet to even look at what they cost!

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I recommend Etsy.com you can find something reasonably priced there. Years ago there were other vendors I would recommend, but I know their prices are exorbitant. I bought a 10' bullwhip twenty years ago and it cost me $350. Now? It would hurt my wallet to even look at what they cost!

AHHgghh the cost! I was thinking out loud.
Years ago while on business in Chicago a British consulate tour included a market visit where I spied an Indy bullwhip
quite reasonably priced. A second hand whip well-worn and used by a 1930s stockyards man so the story, wanted to take offer but passed. Regret this every time I watch Indy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21