Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Edward

Bartender
Here is what I found....

Who made the hats for Indiana Jones 5?

''The hat was designed by Anthony Powell and Joanna Johnston, the film's costume designers, based on Deborah Nadoolman Landis' original hat design for Raiders of the Lost Ark, and made by Herbert Johnson Hatters in London.''

I'm also curious about the rest of it. I noticed last week that Wested are already offering on their website a Dial jacket and shirt. The shirt is similar to the original, but plainer: only the chest pockets have the pleat:

1673264191971.png

Wested's traditional Indy shirt for comparison:

1673264233395.png

The jacket looks interesting - more like their Raiders model than the Crusade / Skull jacket:

1673264354369.png

https://wested.com/en-us/products/the-indy-destiny-jacket

No idea whether they are just ahead of the game or they have some connection to the production. It'd be nice if they did make the film jacket, but I rather expect suppliers for this project will have been dictated much more by finances than any sort of sentimentality.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
One minor quibble about the trailer is the shot where Indy picks up his hat off the table- I know it looks dramatic, but it pains me to see the hat resting on its brim (which will distort it) and that it was picked up by the pinch (which will flex the felt and shorten the lifespan of the hat)

I suppose it's my personal axe to grind, as the times I've been to some social events and put my hat down with everyone's coats, and later I find it right-side up, which means someone messed with it (and probably tried it on, too.)

Again, context.

1. Hats weren't worshipped items (yet), even as recently as 1969. If not still as popular as they were in the '30s and '40s, in the late '60s, many men still wore hats, more often those donning a suit, although mostly short-brimmed they were, two inches being the norm at that time. Hats were a regular part of the wardrobe, and usually tossed around, or not, like any other article of clothing.

2. With everything that Dr. Jones puts his hat(s) through, putting it down on a table right side up was the least of his hat concerns, I am sure. ;)

Last edited:

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
Again, context.

1. Hats weren't worshipped items (yet), even as recently as 1969. If not still as popular as they were in the '30s and '40s, in the late '60s, many men still wore hats, more often those donning a suit, although mostly short-brimmed they were, two inches being the norm at that time. Hats were a regular part of the wardrobe, and usually tossed around, or not, like any other article of clothing.

2. With everything that Dr. Jones puts his hat(s) through, putting it down a table right side up was the least of his hat concerns, I am sure. ;)

That's an angle I had not considered, a valid point nonetheless. :)

Still, I need to worry about people who insist on picking up my hat the wrong way because that's how they've seen it done in the movies. :)

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
I'm also curious about the rest of it. I noticed last week that Wested are already offering on their website a Dial jacket and shirt. The shirt is similar to the original, but plainer: only the chest pockets have the pleat:

View attachment 479449

Oh, I really don't care for that style- I had several LL Bean shirts that looked almost identical to that and they were decent shirts- but I really like those pleats that run down the front of it. That always caught my eye whenever I saw pictures of Ford in costume without the jacket. It makes the shirt stand out, and this version does not separate itself from the masses.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
That's an angle I had not considered, a valid point nonetheless. :)

Still, I need to worry about people who insist on picking up my hat the wrong way because that's how they've seen it done in the movies. :)

Yes to that. Actually, I'd prefer people keeping their hands to themselves. Didn't their mommas teach them not to touch other peoples' stuff?

Edward

Bartender
Oh, I really don't care for that style- I had several LL Bean shirts that looked almost identical to that and they were decent shirts- but I really like those pleats that run down the front of it. That always caught my eye whenever I saw pictures of Ford in costume without the jacket. It makes the shirt stand out, and this version does not separate itself from the masses.

Of the two, undoubtedly the original is the more striking. That said, the change makes sense to me. Indy is a man standing on the border between his world (in time) and ours. He's still wearing the kind of adventuring clothing that he wore in his heyday, but like everyone else, he's limited to what's available. This is "his" shirt, but it's his shirt as was available in 1969, rather than the design he wore thirty years previously. That's how I read it, anyhow. Given that they're working with Deborah Landis and the kind of money that is being thrown into this production, it will definitely have been a clear choice, rather than "well this is the closest we could find" in reality.

I also, as I type, begin to wonder whether this also plays to story-telling mechanics in a more practical way. It has already been hinted that we'll see a bullet damage the jacket in a flashback, and then the jacket in 1969 carrying the repair that followed. I wonder if we'll see a mix of 1940s and 1969 shots intercut in a manner where details such as the different shirt will help to give an immediate visual signifier 'where' in time we are.

Yes to that. Actually, I'd prefer people keeping their hands to themselves. Didn't their mommas teach them not to touch other peoples' stuff?

If I had a fiver for every drunk girl that thought my hat was fancy dress for anyone who wanted to try on..... Well, I'd not be any richer, because I'd have a very large collection of expensive, custom hats that I was worrying about drunk girls trying to try on as if they were fancy dress novelties.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
'Birds of a feather flock together.' Seriously though, youngsters oft in certain spots-Starbucks for example-will say something about my fedora and I like to pitch Jones at such sensing their interest. Indy is streets above the transformer genre . And if they like fedoras....

Last edited:

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
Of the two, undoubtedly the original is the more striking. That said, the change makes sense to me. Indy is a man standing on the border between his world (in time) and ours. He's still wearing the kind of adventuring clothing that he wore in his heyday, but like everyone else, he's limited to what's available. This is "his" shirt, but it's his shirt as was available in 1969, rather than the design he wore thirty years previously. That's how I read it, anyhow. Given that they're working with Deborah Landis and the kind of money that is being thrown into this production, it will definitely have been a clear choice, rather than "well this is the closest we could find" in reality.

This makes sense. Actually, I recall a similar online conversation about Indy's clothes when Crystal Skull was coming out- would Indy still be wearing a style 20 years out of date, or would he be wearing 1950's era gear?

Also, on a relatable note I'm having trouble finding decent pants in the style I used to wear for decades. I suppose if I had money, I'd just have them tailor-made, but I don't have money... so it's a mostly fruitless search on Ebay for them. :)

Edward

Bartender
This makes sense. Actually, I recall a similar online conversation about Indy's clothes when Crystal Skull was coming out- would Indy still be wearing a style 20 years out of date, or would he be wearing 1950's era gear?

It's interesting seeing how they balance that aspect of believability against maintaining the iconic look of the character. I remember theorising how Indy might build a version of his adventuring gear, post WW2, with an A2, US Army service shoes, and the likes. It would make sense in theory, but I can't imagine much of the audience being prepared to accept it. I suppose that's both the magic and the curse of Hollywoodland.

Also, on a relatable note I'm having trouble finding decent pants in the style I used to wear for decades. I suppose if I had money, I'd just have them tailor-made, but I don't have money... so it's a mostly fruitless search on Ebay for them. :)

I find the same. I'm all on board with "buy less and buy better", but for all that I can't afford to buy a single pair of trousers at GBP200 and wear them to death within a year; what I need are three pairs for work that I can rotate.... which inevitably means compromise. I've worn Dickies 874s in recent years - though those aren't necessarily cheap over here (Dickies in the UK sells as a lifestyle brand rather than basic workwear). Some of the best trousers I've had with a 30s/40s look have been WW2 era repro milspec, though that does somewhat limit the colour palette. Summer issue US Army chinos from WPG have served me well in the past; this year, I'm inclined to pick up a few pairs and machine-dye them to get other colours. RAF repop trousers offer a blue option for the Winter. The Axis forces had some nice greys and blacks, but they did rather ruin them for civilian wear with a lot of buckles at ankles and such details, darn them. I did in the past have a pair of Danish Civil Defence trousers that were a sort of grey flannel-type cloth. Lovely things, cost me about a tenner, but they are impossible to find nowadays.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I caught an older Indy tele show eons ago when a look at New York's stock xchge and the character had aged
considerably.Must have been eighty plus with I faintly recall perhaps an eye patch. Distinguished elder statesman talking to a young reporter or some such about Russia in 1917. Absolutely wonderful. Indy is a figure I never want to bid adieu so speak, adore man and moment and I learn much from him. All of which and more is why I cannot resist pitching out to kids when occasion shows. I'd much rather they watch Indy instead of the stuff sold present day.

Edward

Bartender
I caught an older Indy tele show eons ago when a look at New York's stock xchge and the character had aged
considerably.Must have been eighty plus with I faintly recall perhaps an eye patch. Distinguished elder statesman talking to a young reporter or some such about Russia in 1917. Absolutely wonderful. Indy is a figure I never want to bid adieu so speak, adore man and moment and I learn much from him. All of which and more is why I cannot resist pitching out to kids when occasion shows. I'd much rather they watch Indy instead of the stuff sold present day.

That would have been the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles which ran 1992-1993 originally. Pretty good TV show (at least I thought so at the time; I've never revisited) giving Indy a whole lot of childhood adventures while travelling with his parents. If memory serves, the first clutch of episodes feature him as a very young child, a little younger than Short Round, with later episodes being late teens and - I think - 21 by the very end. There was a sort of narrator character played by..... George something?.... (George Hall, according to the interwebs), who was Old Indy in "the present day", dressed recognisably as Indian Jones, with an eyepatch. The latter adventures showed Indy wearing a brown fedora - presumably the one he acquires in his River Phoenix incarnation in Crusade. The older kid was talked up via internet rumour at one point as a potential replacement for Ford in a new film series, but he's now in his late fifties, and I rather suspect that they'd want someone younger if they were going to do that.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Yes, that is the show which certainly merits revisit. Ford is now at his zenith for credible swashbuckler Indiana,
too long the tooth I fear and time to give the ghost up. I stopped at Starbucks the other day and had a brief chat with kids whom definitely note adult wear. Again the hat. Another toss at Jones and a pitch Bard for Branagh's Henry. Showing mid life tear but I feel obligation with Indy and Kev's effort.

Who?

Practically Family
If I had a fiver for every drunk girl that thought my hat was fancy dress for anyone who wanted to try on..... Well, I'd not be any richer, because I'd have a very large collection of expensive, custom hats that I was worrying about drunk girls trying to try on as if they were fancy dress novelties.
You need to move to a better class of drinking establishment.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, that is the show which certainly merits revisit. Ford is now at his zenith for credible swashbuckler Indiana,
too long the tooth I fear and time to give the ghost up. I stopped at Starbucks the other day and had a brief chat with kids whom definitely note adult wear. Again the hat. Another toss at Jones and a pitch Bard for Branagh's Henry. Showing mid life tear but I feel obligation with Indy and Kev's effort.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Disney didn't redux this, or at least fill in the gaps, as it were. Conceptually I'm not so keen on another series of child-Indy, but a series set in the later 20s with Indy as a young man first working with Abner Ravenwood, fleshing out as a sort of prequel to Raiders could be fun. Then there's huge potential for Indy's War, 1939-45: Indy as US agent - the pre-war (for the US; first half for Europe) phase, and the post-Pearl Harbour phase; Indy races around trying to prevent the Nazis acquiring and using occult artefacts to their military advantage.... there has to be a lot of road for that to run on. I suspect this sort of thing is the most likely way forward Disney will take - not least as they have their own streaming platform on it. I just hope they also release it on disk.

You need to move to a better class of drinking establishment.

Oh, I did - long ago and for exactly this reason. Actually, I mostly just don't go out any more. The problem is always humans in the wild: Sartre wasn't far wrong.

Edward

Bartender
It’s at least a rumor that the Disney series will be about Abner Ravenwood. Didn’t Abner die in 1936? Sounds like an unlikely hook for the relaunch of a franchise; that the lead character/hero has an Appointment in Samarra.

https://screenrant.com/indiana-jones-show-steven-spielberg-role-size/

Interesting idea, though. I wonder if this is in part inspired by the success of shows like Gotham and Pennyworth - and perhaps also Better Call Saul which have acted as prequels to the original by dealing with the history of secondary characters in the franchise. All of those have been rather good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider