Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A good review that is fun to read. This guy thinks highly of Dial of Destiny. (Contains No spoilers about the ending.)

https://movieweb.com/indiana-jones-5-dial-of-destiny-review/

Elsewhere, I have read a complete spoiler of what the ending contains Which I won’t repeat or link here. Am happy to read that this guy thinks that they stick the ending and do a good job with it. Am really looking forward to this.

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
A good review that is fun to read. This guy thinks highly of Dial of Destiny. (Contains No spoilers about the ending.)

https://movieweb.com/indiana-jones-5-dial-of-destiny-review/

Elsewhere, I have read a complete spoiler of what the ending contains Which I won’t repeat or link here. Am happy to read that this guy thinks that they stick the ending and do a good job with it. Am really looking forward to this.
I stumbled across a board that had spoilers, and quickly exited. The temptation to go back and read just a little bit keeps gnawing at me, so thank you for posting that review. It will help me get through the next two and a half weeks. :)

Right now, I plan to see it twice in the same weekend if I can manage it.

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
Getting close now!
Who wants to post photos of ourselves, in our hats, etc, on opening day? In front of the poster in the theater, or wherever.
I don't think I'll wear any Indy-related gear to the theater, but at work the management said there would be a day where we can wear anything "Marvel, DC or anything we want to support" as long as it doesn't violate our uniform code, so I might wear my fedora that day next week. The security guards would probably frown on me carrying my bullwhip, so I'll leave that item at home. :)

I don't think I'll wear any Indy-related gear to the theater...
If we were still experiencing winter weather in this part of the world I might consider wearing my jacket. But we aren't. It's now June, and temperatures for the next two weeks are predicted to be in the upper-70s to upper-80s. So, yeah, I think the leather and fur felts will stay at home for the foreseeable future, and...well, depending on my mood, I might just wear a ball cap to the theater. Y'know, rub a few people the wrong way, leave it on throughout the showing...might be fun! ;)

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Booked my ticket for June 28. Although I'm pretty sure the feeling will be exactly the same as after I saw the 4th movie: that there are only three Indy movies and any rest is a satirical spin-off.

Booked my ticket for June 28. Although I'm pretty sure the feeling will be exactly the same as after I saw the 4th movie: that there are only three Indy movies and any rest is a satirical spin-off.

I've forgotten what they call it, but there appears to be a "syndrome" with some American movie franchises in which every other movie is good, and the others not so much. In this case, Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull, being the even numbered sequels, suffer from this syndrome while Raiders, The Last Crusade, and, possibly, Dial of Destiny are considered to be the better movies. I suppose we'll see if this holds water with this franchise.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I've forgotten what they call it, but there appears to be a "syndrome" with some American movie franchises in which every other movie is good, and the others not so much. In this case, Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull, being the even numbered sequels, suffer from this syndrome while Raiders, The Last Crusade, and, possibly, Dial of Destiny are considered to be the better movies. I suppose we'll see if this holds water with this franchise.
hmmm, I don't think I agree!
Godfather I and II being masterpieces (not that the third movie is bad, but nowhere close to the first two).
Same with Terminator I and II being excellent films in their genre, while the third was a total waste of my money and time back in 2003!

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Godfather I and II being masterpieces (not that the third movie is bad, but nowhere close to the first two).
Same with Terminator I and II being excellent films in their genre, while the third was a total waste of my money and time back in 2003!
Same with Return of the Jedi being considered the weakest of the original trilogy, Alien 3 having the most troubled production of all the Alien movies, Jurassic Park 3 being the most rushed of the first three movies (mostly because Kathleen Kennedy wanted to keep to schedule even after Joe Johnson threw the script away), Prisoner of Azkaban being considered the weakest of the Harry Potter movies (mostly due to the troubled preproduction in needing to find a replacement for Richard Harris and the director wanting to redesign everything), and so on. It's strange how third films in trilogies have this tendency to have troubled productions or poor receptions. There are a few notable examples, however, including Last Crusade of course.

In other news, it appears that Herbert Johnson is offering limited productions of the Dial of Destiny hat! https://herbertjohnson.co.uk/products/destiny-poet-nutmeg-rabbit

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
In other news, it appears that Herbert Johnson is offering limited productions of the Dial of Destiny hat! https://herbertjohnson.co.uk/products/destiny-poet-nutmeg-rabbit

"This Destiny Poet hat is the original Herbert Johnson Indiana Jones hat as seen in the upcoming ‘Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny’. Styled exactly as if Indiana had bought the hat from us in 1969, when the film is set, this iconic style represents the conclusion of a legendary franchise that has inspired fans for over 40 years.

"Crafted from our Nutmeg fine rabbit fur felt with a sable brown ribbon. Reminiscent of the 1960s style, these timeless hats are completely handcrafted to order for each client by the highly skilled hatters at Herbert Johnson."

Any takers on explaining what I have bolded? The quote is from the HJ website for this hat. I find these statements lacking accuracy, and misleading.

I am not a fan of advertising hyperbole.

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
Yeah, when I think of 1960's-style fedoras, that hat would not come to mind. It IS a nice hat, but doesn't seem like a hat of that period at all.

Edward

Bartender

Funny thing.... I liked T2 well enough at the time, but rewatching it some years later, I found it dumb, full of plotholes, I hated the kids, and felt the whole thing had dated very badly indeed.

Same with Return of the Jedi being considered the weakest of the original trilogy, Alien 3 having the most troubled production of all the Alien movies, Jurassic Park 3 being the most rushed of the first three movies (mostly because Kathleen Kennedy wanted to keep to schedule even after Joe Johnson threw the script away), Prisoner of Azkaban being considered the weakest of the Harry Potter movies (mostly due to the troubled preproduction in needing to find a replacement for Richard Harris and the director wanting to redesign everything), and so on. It's strange how third films in trilogies have this tendency to have troubled productions or poor receptions. There are a few notable examples, however, including Last Crusade of course.

Aliens for me was among the weakest of the franchise. It's a good action picture, but lacking in the creeping tension and gothic horror I enjoyed far more in the original, and to which the third felt more of a return.

Yeah, when I think of 1960's-style fedoras, that hat would not come to mind. It IS a nice hat, but doesn't seem like a hat of that period at all.

I think there's clearly a fair degree of advertising speak in there,.... though what they may be trying to communicate (badly) is what I'd have been doing had I designed the costume for the film. Not putting him in the hip, swinging styles of 1969 because he's a seventy year old man who is to some extent left behind in time, belongs to an earlier era. He was literally - if only just - born in the 19th century according to canon. The way he should be dressed in 1969 is in vaguely late forties styles, the way a man that age would gravitate to what he'd worn for years - and where there would have been "old-fashioned" menswear shops selling "classic" menswear to men of that age. I remember men around that age even in the eighties still dressing like it was the fifties, and they were buying those clothes new. Those places only really started to disappear as their market literally died out. I see Indy in 1969 when he needs new bits going to a place like that and buying the closest now available to what he wore back then. Might not be exactly a match for what he wore in 1957, but close enough "to do" for a man who wants something in the same vein but doesn't necessarily demand an exact match.

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
One more trailer with some footage we haven't seen yet:

There's a scene with bugs; a nod to Temple of Doom, I'll wager. :)

Oh, and I managed to wear my fedora to work last Friday since the theme was Marvel, DC, or whatever- I did get compliments; apparently some of the other employees were sick of seeing everyone else wearing Captain America T-shirts. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran