Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones V

Edward

Bartender
The more I see of the goddaughter in these trailers, the more I'd be very happy to see her in a spin off series of her own, as long as the writing was good enough for it not to fall into being a lazy Tomb Raider substitute (which, if PW-B wrote it herself, it would certainly avoid). I don't share others' reservations about having someone else play Indy if they were well cast (so, obvs, not the fella from that Solo picture a few years ago), but I think an Indy expanded universe might be the 'safer' option for a couple of decades yet.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I just don't understand the concept of cross-gender characters.

Regardless of whatever actress is picked to 'replace' Indiana Jones, she and her character will never be Indiana Jones, not because of Harrison Ford, but because Indiana Jones is a man. There are just some things that can't be avoided, woke culture notwithstanding.

She may be an archaeologist and an adventurer but she will not be Indiana Jones. The movie will be about yet another character who does things that Indiana Jones might have done.

Personally, I'll have trouble with any future moviea bout Indiana Jones because I, like so many others, so closely associate HF with the role. A number of movie franchises have had multiple actors play the same role, either due to contractual issues, conflicting schedules, or simply an actor aging out. Some of them wotk, and some don't. We haven't gotten to that point yet with IJ. But PWB is not a direct character replacement.

Edward

Bartender
I just don't understand the concept of cross-gender characters.

Regardless of whatever actress is picked to 'replace' Indiana Jones, she and her character will never be Indiana Jones, not because of Harrison Ford, but because Indiana Jones is a man. There are just some things that can't be avoided, woke culture notwithstanding.

She may be an archaeologist and an adventurer but she will not be Indiana Jones. The movie will be about yet another character who does things that Indiana Jones might have done.

Personally, I'll have trouble with any future moviea bout Indiana Jones because I, like so many others, so closely associate HF with the role. A number of movie franchises have had multiple actors play the same role, either due to contractual issues, conflicting schedules, or simply an actor aging out. Some of them wotk, and some don't. We haven't gotten to that point yet with IJ. But PWB is not a direct character replacement.

If we were talking about a third actor to take on the role, it would indeed be different - as it is, anyone who did attempt to take it on would, in effect, be a Lazenby. Eeps. That poor bugger never had a chance. I'd very much like to see an expansion of the universe in which IJ exists, in much the same way as I very much enjoyed seeing another 007, a new recruit, working alongside the retired James Bond.

It'll be interesting to see if another actor ever does give it a go - as I've said before, I really can't imagine Disney paid what they did for the property not to carry it on. I suspect it would be easier to reboot the 'Young Indy' series, though - which might also sell better on their Disney Plus offering. (Which means I'll likely never see it unless they do create a disk, but hey ho.)

Harris HTM

One Too Many
So it begins in 5mins… and yes, this is a wested jacket.
IMG_0052.jpeg
IMG_0055.jpeg
IMG_0053.jpeg

Harris HTM

One Too Many
So, I watched the film yesterday. Unfortunately, as I was afraid, I got the same feeling I did when I first watched the 4th movie: that they should have left Indy alone. Though it is not a bad movie, the story line is totally implausible (I mean even more compared to the other films) with many gaps and stunts that make no sense. Harrison Ford is unfortunately too old to run, climb steep walls, scuba dive, punch Nazi's four times younger than him unconscious.
I'll stick to my motto that there are only 3 Indiana films (as there are only 2 Terminators and only 3 Star Wars). The rest are parodies.
And a lesson in history: there is no mechanism or disk known as "Antikythera". Antikythera is an island in Greece, in the coast of which early, previous century, pieces of the well known today mechanism were found. And in ancient Greece they spoke ancient Greek (and not modern), and they used Greek letters (and neither runes, nor Assyrian script). Pretty amateurish job from the producers / script writers, I mean the movie cost 300$ million, open a book or ask a bloody historian.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
So, I watched the film yesterday. Unfortunately, as I was afraid, I got the same feeling I did when I first watched the 4th movie: that they should have left Indy alone. Though it is not a bad movie, the story line is totally implausible (I mean even more compared to the other films) with many gaps and stunts that make no sense. Harrison Ford is unfortunately too old to run, climb steep walls, scuba dive, punch Nazi's four times younger than him unconscious. I'll stick to my motto that there are only 3 Indiana films (as there are only 2 Terminators and only 3 Star Wars). The rest are parodies.
Too bad. Oh well, what can you do.
And a lesson in history: there is no mechanism or disk known as "Antikythera". Antikythera is an island in Greece, in the coast of which early, previous century, pieces of the well known today mechanism were found. And in ancient Greece they spoke ancient Greek (and not modern), and they used Greek letters (and neither runes, nor Assyrian script). Pretty amateurish job from the producers / script writers, I mean the movie cost 300$ million, open a book or ask a bloody historian.
I remember in the Young Indy Jones series, when Indy is a kid accompanying his father to Greece, he has to remind his father than modern Greeks don't speak ancient Greek (which his father was using, and confusing the locals). It was a nice way to teach viewers a bit of history and reinforce that Indy is a practical person, whereas his father was a head-in-the-sky person.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CNN just reviewed it, and gave it pretty good marks.
Interestingly, they place it right in the middle of the pack, saying that Dial is better than both Chrystal Skull AND Temple of Doom. That’s a surprise.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/29/movies/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-review/index.html

I was never a big Temple of Doom fan (aside from the whole opening sequence that drops them in India. Oh, and the swinging bridge scene!), but I’m nonetheless surprised to see Dial placed in the Top Three. If it’s better than Chrystal Skull, that’s good enough for me. Consensus seems to be that it is. Yay!

Well, I’ll know soon enough. I’ve got my seat reserved for tomorrow at noon. Which reminds me, I’d better pull my outfit together.

Late addition/edit: USA Today also ranks Dial as better than Temple of Doom:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...6/30/indiana-jones-movies-ranked/70359902007/

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I have mixed feelings about this one. All our heroes have gotten old and sad, and it made it kinda depressing to watch. Added to that, there were a few details that felt like deliberate jabs at Crystal Skull, which I just felt did "Old Man Indy" better. At the same time, I can't deny it was fun. It felt very serial and pulpy, and I could definitely imagine Spielberg and Lucas having made this movie

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Saw it yesterday. I have been an Indiana Jones fan all my life. I went in feeling a little anxious, thanks to all the uneven opinions. No need. I thoroughly enjoyed Dial of Destiny. It was a rollicking adventure film and Ford did a great job. The plot was not too convoluted, the cinematography was reminiscent of the old films, and I loved all the travel and exotic locations. I was impressed with the de-aging in the first 20 minutes. It was realistic and not distracting at all. Helena was a complex Character and nicely done. The bad guys were chillingly bad. Cameo appearances by old friends were a delight. There was also a bit of heart and emotion in the film, which was done smoothly and in context. Most importantly, the movie was a lot of fun. Sure, I could nitpick a detail or two and lament the passage of years, but I won’t. I went in prepared to be underwhelmed, but —instead— was charmed by the movie. It was so much fun! I was not disappointed.

A15B9DF6-BA9E-49D1-9F98-6C377E8352C1.jpeg

Last edited:

Herb Roflcopter

One of the Regulars
I just got back from an 11:30 showing. I had to wait almost 30 minutes before the theater figured out that the movie wasn't running- the small crowd sat in total darkness wondering why they weren't even showing any trailers! However, they skipped the trailers (thank goodness) and went right to the movie.

I had a good time, although I did find myself tearing up once or twice (I'd rather not spoil anything) and the digital de-aging wasn't quite perfect, but worked well enough that I didn't care about a few flaws. One or two very minor questions about things that seemed to get wrapped up a little too conveniently, but again I'm not saying anything yet.

This movie is definitely made for the fans; there are numerous callbacks and references that will make zero sense to anyone who hasn't seen any of the films before.

One quibble that I mentioned earlier in the thread that isn't a spoiler but an sense of aesthetics- Ben Burtt did not do the sound design on this, so although there are numerous punches thrown throughout the film, they do not have the classic Indiana Jones punch sound effect. Crystal Skull did the brawling sound FX better.

Still, that's my personal taste and not a measure of the quality of the movie and the story.

RBH

Bartender
Saw it yesterday. I have been an Indiana Jones fan all my life. I went in feeling a little anxious, thanks to all the uneven opinions. No need. I thoroughly enjoyed Dial of Destiny. It was a rollicking adventure film and Ford did a great job. The plot was not too convoluted, the cinematography was reminiscent of the old films, and I loved all the travel and exotic locations. I was impressed with the de-aging in the first 20 minutes. It was realistic and not distracting at all. Helena was a complex Character and nicely done. The bad guys were chillingly bad. Cameo appearances by old friends were a delight. There was also a bit of heart and emotion in the film, which was done smoothly and in context. Most importantly, the movie was a lot of fun. Sure, I could nitpick a detail or two and lament the passage of years, but I won’t. I went in prepared to be underwhelmed, but —instead— was charmed by the movie. It was so much fun! I was not disappointed.

View attachment 529636

I agree.
I enjoyed it. Much more believable than ToD..... but then I thought Crystal Skull fit the time frame of the 50s very well.
I really loved the little 'winks' that were given to the other films.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
and the digital de-aging wasn't quite perfect, but worked well enough that I didn't care about a few flaws.
I don't think it will ever be perfect, but speaking as somebody who was blown away by the digital resurrection of Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher in "Rogue One," we've definitely come a long way with it. There was only two or three times when the illusion broke for me, which considering the time span of the flashback, is pretty good. In all, I couldn't tell when it was Ford's face plastered on Ford, or his stunt double (obvious stunt moments aside). I think what also helped was that Ford didn't really move like an 80yo man. When they de-aged Pesci and De Niro for "The Irishman" part of what broke the illusion for me was that Pesci and De Niro still hobbled like elderly men.

earl

A-List Customer
So, I watched the film yesterday. Unfortunately, as I was afraid, I got the same feeling I did when I first watched the 4th movie: that they should have left Indy alone. Though it is not a bad movie, the story line is totally implausible (I mean even more compared to the other films) with many gaps and stunts that make no sense. Harrison Ford is unfortunately too old to run, climb steep walls, scuba dive, punch Nazi's four times younger than him unconscious.
I'll stick to my motto that there are only 3 Indiana films (as there are only 2 Terminators and only 3 Star Wars). The rest are parodies.
It's called fiction for a reason.;) Saw it today and quite enjoyed it. Only Indie film I liked better was the first.

srq2002

Familiar Face
Actually, there is an ancient analogue computer known as the Antikythera. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Actually, there is an ancient analogue computer known as the Antikythera. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
yes, ofcourse, read my post better:
"pieces of the well known today mechanism were found".
The Antikythera does not refer to the mechanism, it is the name of the island. No one in the scientific/engineering world refers to it as the "Antikythera", but as the "Antikythera Mechanism".
Similarly to the Rosetta stone. No one refers to it as "the Rosetta", but as "the Rosetta stone"
Or to the New York cheesecake. At least here in Europe no one says "yesterday I ate 3 pieces of New York", we rather say "3 pieces of NY cheesecake".

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
I really enjoyed it. Some of the digital effects spoiled it as they weren't as good as they could have been. Some of the running sequences were very obvious. But I thought they did an admirable job on it. Had the right feel and comic relief. I enjoyed some of the Easter eggs they hid in there as well not just the cameos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo