Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
“Real Leather”....if i have to be told i think i’ll pass. YMMV
B
Even better is "genuine leather," a really misleading term. According to the Horween tannery home page under their list of leather types, it technically refers to a process whereby the under-scrapings of a hide are put into a pot and melted into a kind of sludge, then treated with various bonding agents, dried, and finally stamped to look like it has a grain (kind of like particle-board). Of course, nobody knows this. The term is often used on mall jackets, straps on bags, shoe soles, etc., and it's just vague enough that it can also be used for any cheap or second-rate hide. Look at how many dodgy-looking jackets n Ebay use the term. Ah, modern advertising!

Last edited:
Even better is "genuine leather," a really misleading term. According to the Horween tannery home page under their list of leather types, it technically refers to a process whereby the under-scrapings of a hide are put into a pot and melted into a kind of sludge, then treated with various bonding agents, dried, and finally stamped to look like it has a grain (kind of like particle-board). Of course, nobody knows this. The term is often used on mall jackets, straps on bags, shoe soles, etc., and it's just vague enough that it can also be used for any cheap or second-rate hide. Look at how many dodgy-looking jackets n Ebay use the term. Ah, modern advertising!

Ah yes, “bonded leather.” :(

My new favourite on Facebook spam adverts.....wait for it...…"Vegan Leather"....mostly from Chinese sources. I gotta give them props for creativity.

My new favourite on Facebook spam adverts.....wait for it...…"Vegan Leather"....mostly from Chinese sources. I gotta give them props for creativity.

I see that Stetson is making use of vegan sweatbands on lots of its hats in 2020. Too bad, but not surprising.

FEB5E2C3-52A1-4DC4-A8F1-08D7754F413B.jpeg

Whenever I get an unsolicited ad in my FB feed that states "Vegan Leather"....I always reply.....It is plastic FFS!. Vegan Leather is not a legit thing....it is plastic!...tell the truth!

Talking out of both sides of their mouths; it’s like saying “genuine“ and “artificial“ to describe the same item.

To each their own, but I’m an unreformed omnivore who has not problem with leather made from leather.

I find it amusing that out of all my good caps & hats. My Bailey litefelt Curtis never fails to get a compliment.

In the end, all that matters is that you like your hat(s). However, the The Fedora Lounge is focused on the “Golden Era,” so don’t expect many here to share your opinion on a wool fedora.

I too have a Lite Felt fedora...I haven’t worn it in years as it definitely isn’t what I want in a fedora. It also isn’t what people who are looking for vintage Felt hats are usually after. This thread was to help those new to the hunt steer clear of hats that don’t have the qualities and attributes that most of us are looking for.

Please don’t misunderstand me, I like and post hats that are of lower quality and that the majority of the regulars to the hat forum have zero interest in. I hope you continue sharing your hats with us. A couple years ago, I started a thread in defense of wool fedoras. I mostly still agree with what I wrote then. I also believe that an accessible and affordable “foot in the door” serves as a gateway to better hats, both vintage and contemporary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points