Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy Hat, Cowboy, Fedora or Quatermain ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatintheHat

Suspended
Yea, I thought it was Quartermain too. :D

I think that the original Indy hat was based on those 3.

What was HJ thinkin?

What do you think?

Markus

KatintheHat

Suspended
OK... no bites.

I'll bite.

Let me expound my theory.

Indiana Jones was a character created to represent all the cliffhanger heros. I used to watch these things on Saturdays as a child. Reruns in my youth but most were Tarzan or Cowboy stuff. Our price of admission was 6 Royal Crown bottle caps.

Anyways, I see Indiana Jones as a composite character, and his garb composite too. 70+ years ago Exploerers of the dark continent and cowboys ruled the movie matinee. Real men wore hats. at the time. They were called fedoras.

Most of us here (at the Lounge) try our best to shape our hats in otherwise fashion than that of Indiana Jones but... We are all influenced by it.

We all owe the Indy fad for bringing hats back. To do otherwise is denial.

Embrace it,

Markus

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I want to participate, but I have no idea what this thread is about.

Here's what I've got so far.
Indy=hero composite+influence on hat wearing.
That sounds good to me.

What else? [huh]

KatintheHat

Suspended
I forgot to mention Stewart Granger in "King Solomon's Mines"

What I'm talking about is what led to the Indiana Jones films.

And whether we like it or not. Hats in general would not have seen such a resurgance had it not been for the Indy movies.

I see the Indy hat as a composite of the standard Bogart fedora, the Quatermain safari, and the John Wayne (among a million others) cowboy hat.

A true Indy hat encompasses all those attributes IMO. :D

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Agreed as to that point.
I'm pretty sure that the rest of this is the result of drinking and posting.
:confused: :beer: :confused:

KatintheHat said:
IAnd whether we like it or not. Hats in general would not have seen such a resurgance had it not been for the Indy movies.

KatintheHat

Suspended
The Indiana Jones movies and character are a takeoff of the old cliffhanger serials of the 1930's and 40's. I would have thought that as being common knowlege.

Today I guess you could equate it to a movie sequel (extreme cliffhanger) or a Television episode ending in, "To be Continued."

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I see the Indy fedora as combining the rugged versatility of the cowboy hat with the class and sophistication of the fedora. It's a stylish hybrid.

I also think it would go nicely with cowboy boots.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MisterGrey said:
I see the Indy fedora as combining the rugged versatility of the cowboy hat with the class and sophistication of the fedora. It's a stylish hybrid.

Thanks MG. I thought so too. Thanks for taking the time to answer:)

KatintheHat

Suspended
Don't forget Stewart Granger.

Honestly though, a member here just carved a quarter inch off of his Federation because people in NYC thought it was a cowboy hat. :D

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KatintheHat said:
Don't forget Stewart Granger.

Honestly though, a member here just carved a quarter inch off of his Federation because people in NYC thought it was a cowboy hat. :D

Saw that hat... looks sharp

This all speaks to rugged individualism. I wore my fed in NYC, my home town, fit right in. As a matter of fact, my cowboy hats do not have the durability of the Fed.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
KatintheHat said:
I forgot to mention Stewart Granger in "King Solomon's Mines"

What I'm talking about is what led to the Indiana Jones films.

And whether we like it or not. Hats in general would not have seen such a resurgance had it not been for the Indy movies.

I see the Indy hat as a composite of the standard Bogart fedora, the Quatermain safari, and the John Wayne (among a million others) cowboy hat.

A true Indy hat encompasses all those attributes IMO. :D
I think you are correct. I just got into hats three months ago and was reading up on the Indy hats and I noticed the same thing. A few weeks ago I'd told my wife that I thought the Indy hat and bash was part safari, part fedora, and part cowboy. The safari part is the downturned brim front and back; the cowboy part is the curled sides and the dimensional brim. The dimensional brim makes it look a little bit cowboy in profile because the brim's front and back overhang indicates a wide brim. Turned full face, however, the brim looks narrower like a fedora, but the side curl makes it look a bit cowboyish. And the fedora part is that that's the kind of hat it is underneath it all.

Now I understand why Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford couldn't find a hat that fulfilled their vision, had to start with an open crown Herbert Johnson Poet, and then trimmed the brim and bashed the crown to get the composite they were looking for.

Good topic, BTW.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Yohanes said:
How about Richard Chamberlain's version of Quatermain? lol lol
Take a tawny fawn Akubra Safari, make the pinches deeper, put a leopard pattern puggaree on, and you've got it!

alllan1.png
safari.jpg

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
MisterGrey said:

I have two Akubra Federations, a std. in tawny fawn and a Deluxe in moonstone. I most often wear them with one of my two pairs of low-heeled, round-toe Nocona ranchers which look similar to these:

1413210.jpg
1252111.jpg

And they go great together, whether I'm wearing blue jeans or khaki pants.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
KatintheHat said:
I have often wondered if HJ just didn't take a cowboy hat, cut it down, and do a bedora center crease to create the Indy hat.
It's my understanding that the hat used for the first film started out as the Herbert Johnson Poet, an early fedora design from 1890:

prodimage-4785.jpg
indiana-jones-hj-openB150.jpg

Also, there's a discussion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy