Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy hat post em up

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
This is the closest I have to an indy hat. PB indy custom...

An Indy fan would probably think of some line to do with you being named after the dog. Then, a real Indy fan would probably point out that Indiana was some kind of Alsatian. ;)

Nice hat, anyway.

RBH

Bartender
indycop said:
This is the closest I have to an indy hat. PB indy custom.

Johnny023.jpg

SWEET!
I really like the way that fedora looks !:eusa_clap
You did really good on the bash!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
An Indy fan would probably think of some line to do with you being named after the dog. Then, a real Indy fan would probably point out that Indiana was some kind of Alsatian. ;)

Nice hat, anyway.
Actually the dogs name is Colby Jack! No offense to FL colby jack! The lounge member not the dog...... Is anyone else confused?

fishmeok

Vendor
Just got my Fed Regular on Saturday. It's a 59, which may still be a bit big, but we'll see- I have foam packing in the sweatband and it already seems to be conforming to my head and shrinking a bit. I ordered it Monday, it was here Saturday, can't say enough good things about hatsdirect.com. This is the second bash, I had originally turned it about an inch then changed my mind and straightened it out. This hat has now officially made my other fedoras obsolete by nature of it's Imperial Australian Awsomeness. I'll be putting several up in the for sale section soon.
Cheers
Mark
With the "old" most worn fedora
DSCN1710.jpg
DSCN1714.jpg

DSCN1683.jpg
DSCN1684.jpg

DSCN1678.jpg

fatwoul

Practically Family
fishmeok said:
Just got my Fed Regular on Saturday. It's a 59, which may still be a bit big, but we'll see...

If you don't me asking, what size is your head, exactly? I'm 58.4, and I am considering a 59 Fed Reg, because my Fed Dlx was a 58. It fits great now that its shrunk, but after experimenting I discovered that the headband was capable of shrinking much further. I wonder if a 59 would shrink down to fit me, and if so, whether that would leave the slightly oversized crown with less taper.

So yeah - what size is your head, fishmeok?

fishmeok

Vendor
I think you and I are right on the edge- I'm 58.5 and I have at least .5 cm worth of stuffing under the band (fore and aft- the sides fit fine, my head must be more oval than I thought). It is getting smaller though, but how far it'll go I have no idea. Right now it's very comfortable, but I keep messing with the stuffing under the hat band, trying different thicknesses.

I think a good rainsoaking and re-drying on my head would really make this thing pop- I'll see how it settles in a week or so. If the 59 can shrink about 1 cm it will give me that slightly reverse taper- it seems like it's on it way.
Cheers
Mark

VegasMike

One of the Regulars
So I'm at work today, and a get a "Dr. Jones" comment, which doesn't bother me that much, considering i was dressed in khaki's and my hat, and at least it was a step up from "indy" :p

Anyhow, after that comment, I had to go down to the spa area, and there's a cute gal that works there, and all I could think of was shorty..."No time for love Dr. Jones!"

1261131455_9ed761bd01.jpg

fatwoul

Practically Family
fishmeok said:
I think you and I are right on the edge- I'm 58.5 and I have at least .5 cm worth of stuffing under the band (fore and aft- the sides fit fine, my head must be more oval than I thought). It is getting smaller though, but how far it'll go I have no idea. Right now it's very comfortable, but I keep messing with the stuffing under the hat band, trying different thicknesses.

I think a good rainsoaking and re-drying on my head would really make this thing pop- I'll see how it settles in a week or so. If the 59 can shrink about 1 cm it will give me that slightly reverse taper- it seems like it's on it way.
Cheers
Mark

I did experiment with this, with my current Fed - I soaked the headband and left it in a sunny conservatory for a day. When I got back to it, the hat was at least down to a 57, I'd say. I then gradually stretched it back up to exactly the size I wanted. Doing that helped to brings the sides in and straighten them up.

So yeah, I'd say you shouldn't be surprised if your 58 keeps shrinking if you wear it in a lot of storms, but if you wear it frequently, don't leave the band damp when you take it off, and leave it in normal rooms (not really hot ones), I doubt it will be a problem.

If you're really concerned about it, just do like I did and buy yourself a hat stretcher. I leave mine in every night to keep the hat the size I want, but come the cooler weather I won't bother with that unless I need to.

fishmeok

Vendor
They do shrink fast- I just pulled another piece of foam out and I've mainly been wearing it around the house. I think the 59 was a good choice.
Cheers
Mark

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Soon we're going to have to start a discussion of how close will the Adventurer bash to an Indy hat. I'm afraid the crown's going to be too short to work well, though.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Early reports are the felt is soft, though, so it ought to reshape. I'm tempted to emulate the Young Indy look you went for with your Fed.

fishmeok

Vendor
Fed size 59 one week later...

So I've had my 59 fed for about a week and it's gone from dropping straight down onto my ears to a perfect fit- the clincher was the lampshade trick- I wet the entire band and felt behind it and put the hat on my large drafting table light (incandescent). The inside circumference of the sweatband is now approx 57 measured with a tape. By the time it's on my head and sitting lightly approx 1 cm over my ears it floats comfortably with no feeling of tightness or binding. I can turn my head upside down without the hat falling off but it barely feels like it's there. I measured my head as a 58.5 and that holds up after re-measuring, but it's pretty difficult for a novice to get the tension right- I could make it a 57.5 if I really tightened the tape. I'd definitely get a 59 if you wear a 58. I included pics of with a ruler to show bash height- I tried to make the pinch as low as possible without getting much taper. I am still supremely happy with this hat...
The darker pics are more the true color- apparently my digital camera works better when the batteries are almost dead.
Cheers
Mark
DSCN1839.jpg
DSCN1845.jpg

DSCN1840.jpg
DSCN1847.jpg

DSCN1846.jpg

fatwoul

Practically Family
As to the tape measure, you should pull the tape to the tension that feels comfortable - that which would like in the hat you are buying.

You and I share headsize almost exactly (I am 58.4), although my headshape may differ significantly - I am a long oval. My 58 fits me great, although hatsdirect did ovalise it for me. Most people agree that Federations arrive oversized, and usually shrink over time, but some such as yourself have reported the hats soon shrinking too far and tapering quickly.

I wonder if a person's headshape can significantly affect these phenomena.

A normal oval hat, if worn by someone like me, with a long oval head, tends to show less taper - or even reverse taper. This is because, while the band of the hat is stretched longer (and so narrower) the felt higher up the crown remains the same width as it was. For this reason, I suspect that by asking hatsdirect to stretch my hat into LO shape, I may have inadvertently done the wrong thing in terms of taper, because the crown felt was stretched together with the band, so ended up just as narrow at the top as the base.

When I order my next Federation - possibly a mid-brown Fed Reg - I will not only order a 59, but may also not ask hatsdirect to stretch the hat into long oval for me.

Anyway, yours look Fed looks to be a good shape, fishmeok - long may it last. :)

fishmeok

Vendor
I must have an ovaled head as well- the slight taper in the pics disappears on my head- I think most of the taper came from trying to make the center dent and front pinch too low. This is where spending too much time on COW will mess one up. Too many different nitpicky variables for us hat nerds to obsess over. Either way I've been wearing it all day in 84 degree (F) weather and it just gets more comfortable...
Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael