Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy hat post em up

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well, I never set out to have an Indiana Jones hat (I like the movies well enough but I've been into fedoras before during and after those phases) but it turns out that this one is, I suppose, the closest to the mark. I wear it when I need to do major demolition and remodeling in a house. It's a thick, tough Stetson Royal DeLuxe. Because of all the sweat-ins, this hat fits like a custom.

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Tone

A-List Customer
I had no idea the Stetson Royal Deluxe came with a dimensional brim. That is good to know. Might have to pick one up someday.

That felt looks nice and sturdy and I can't help but think how much the felt and the way you've got the crown remind of the AkAd.

1632e_lg6.jpg

Either way, it's a good looking, beat up, well-worn hat.

RBH

Bartender
HarpPlayerGene said:
Well, I never set out to have an Indiana Jones hat (I like the movies well enough but I've been into fedoras before during and after those phases) but it turns out that this one is, I suppose, the closest to the mark. I wear it when I need to do major demolition and remodeling in a house. It's a thick, tough Stetson Royal DeLuxe. Because of all the sweat-ins, this hat fits like a custom.

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg
I like it!!!:eusa_clap

Sargon

Familiar Face
Funny how many archaeologists there are around here! I worked as a field archaeologist for 5 years all up and down the east coast. I started off with a baseball cap. When I realized how useless that was I went and hung a bandana off the back of it to shade my neck. This french foreign legion looks wasn't cutting the mustard so in shopping around town I found a canvas slouch hat that you could pin the brim up on both sides if you wanted. Wish I knew who made it now as it is long gone. I pretty much wore it everywhere. When the mosquitoes were real bad I would light a stick of incense and stick it in the brim to keep them at bay. Bug juice just sweats off too fast. I gave up the life 15 years ago when I realized I was paying rent for an apartment I never lived in.

Tone

A-List Customer
Those canvas hats are great (snap on each side), Sargon. I was wondering where to find them myself when I came across this touristy outlet a few months back and the guy was selling a whole bunch of them. Bought one, of course.

Found another Indy type pic. Christys - AKA "HJ's stronger felt"

christysadventurer2.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Tone said:
Those canvas hats are great (snap on each side), Sargon. I was wondering where to find them myself when I came across this touristy outlet a few months back and the guy was selling a whole bunch of them. Bought one, of course.
Tilley T3 is a good choice for a canvas hat with side snapping brim. More costly than most cloth hats, but for the good reason that it is so fantastic. My first proper brimmed hat, before I went for a fedora due to it's versatility in being both formal and casual.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Not to go too off topic but I concur with avedwards on the Tilley. I've got one and the snap brims are great. Use mine mostly for hiking but I'm thinking these days I'll have no choice but to go Indy with one of my Feds soon :)

kiltie

Practically Family
Tone said:

Found another Indy type pic. Christys - AKA "HJ's stronger felt"

christysadventurer2.jpg

Wow, Tone! Long time no post... How recent is that pic of your Christys'? It looks darn good.
I pulled mine out for round two of summer digging around the lake ( about a week ago ). Here's a series of pics from the drive and the day, as it went:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0180.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0181.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0187-1.jpg

Just for good measure, here's some of what I did wearing the Christys', and what I found:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0207.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0206.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0212.jpg

That hat is really doing it's job well. I took the liner out, and it's a perfect weight. I finally pulled off the kid gloves a while back and have abused the heck out of it ( professional reblock, followed by kitchen reblock [ using a rolled up towel and an iron :eek: ], rolling it up, etc, etc...). I picked up an Adventurebilt beaver second hand a little while back -

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/HPIM2780.jpg

-and while it's a great hat, it may be just a tad on the heavy side. Couple that with the wait time I'd be in for for any sort of a refurb, and I'm just too skittish at this point to use the AB for anything more than going out. These Christys', though... Man, mine's been worth every penny of the hundred dollars be it in actual use, experimenting, whatever. Great hat!

HPGene - That Stetson is REALLY cool!

Tone

A-List Customer
Kiltie said:

Hey, you found a quarter! :D

Good point about the Christys weight. Summer's kicking into high gear over here so I'll probably pop mine back on for the really hot days. I do like its light weight.

Great that you're still wearing it for summers - after "all" it's been through.

Thanks. This one's still doing well.

christysadventurer2year.jpg

*Server overload causing lag on the first pic - re-uploaded.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Nice to see you around again Tone. That Christys is looking good. :eusa_clap

Here are a couple of my Camptowns.

The Legend
100_3322.jpg

The Fieldmaster
100_2119.jpg

And my reblocked Metropolitan renamed the "Penman/Camptown 'Fellow Traveler'
100_3990.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Tone

A-List Customer
Thanks, DanielJ. That Camptown Fieldmaster looked great! :eusa_clap Did you end up trimming the brim? Looks like it's holding up VERY well through the ages.

Christys-wise, yes. It's a great inexpensive hat for getting the film version out of one's system. One of the few left that look - to me - to give a few variations on that hat without going "overboard". :D
pdvd026c.jpg

Dixon! That's Awesome! :eusa_clap

Here's one that I guarantee never got close to 25 years of wear. lol
14132435.jpg

Come to think of it, that wasn't a bad Temple of Doom type crease back then - albeit gray.

25 years, though. Fantastic! Do tell. What hat is that? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

jpbales

Practically Family
Carbon Gray Fed IV

One of the reasons why I got the Carbon Gray Fed IV was because it looked quite similar to the gray Indy hat. Though some would argue it should look lighter gray (like moonstone), it looks about like carbon gray to me in the film [huh] When I first watched the movies I didn't even notice he had a different hat.

gray41vi-vi.jpg

n583648597_1432132_7187.jpg

FederationSideAngle.jpg

Of course, the dimensions are smaller too- but perhaps they fit me better that way anyhow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy