Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy IV (beware... spoiler pics)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ever feel you read 'too much' into something?

Edward said:
for UK FL'ers: maybe it's a Numberwang?

I suspend belief when I go to a movie like this, because it's a fantasy adventure movie, like a fairy tale of knights slaying dragons and saving maidens. And if you 'really' wanted to be serious about it then you'd easily pick lots of holes, as it's not a historical film. But what's the fun in that? Just sit and watch and enjoy at a very base level.

Uber fans will always read more into things that were never there or meant to be there in the first place, and that's a reflection of how 'into it' they are and how much they enjoy it.

But there is a danger of reading just 'too much' into something, when it was never designed to be scratched any deeper than the surface and just enjoyed at face value :)

Edward

Bartender
PADDY said:
But there is a danger of reading just 'too much' into something, when it was never designed to be scratched any deeper than the surface and just enjoyed at face value :)

Oh, absolutely. I mean, reading way too much into things is a lot of fun sometimes - you know, Wizard of Oz as a comment on the Cold War, Rocky Horror Picture Show as an alternative reading of the life of Christ and fundamental tenets of Christianity (I kid you not, I've seen this theory pushed for real in some quarters :eek: ), and on it goes. It can be a bit of fun as long as it doesn't get out of hand.... it's when people get too precious about what is, at the end of the day, only entertainment that it can go a bit silly. and this coming from someone who believes Star Wars died the day Greedo shot first.... lol

Girl Friday:

It's an occulational hazard, I guess. A friend who ten years after graduating went back to do her nursing degree told me that when she went to see Craig's Bond outing, it bugged her that they defibbed him on the wrong side: a basic detail, surely....! I got a bit wound up when in Superman Returns, Lex Luthor acquired his Sugar Momma's entire estate for himself by grabbing her hand and moving it to sign the will..... with no witnesses, it wouldn't be valid! I'm sure Luthor could have found a way around getting some "reliable" witnesses without them ignoring such a clear detail.... Sure, you just have to let these things go and run with suspension of disbelief, but when it's something that seems like such a basic in your own field, sometimes it really is glaring. lol

When Hollywood does history, I try simply to treat it as something based on the history of an alternative timeline which has some details similar to our own. lol

Story

I'll Lock Up
Of tangential interest

Vatican paper set to clear Knights Templar
By Malcolm Moore in Rome
Last Updated: 2:08am BST 05/10/2007

The mysteries of the Order of the Knights Templar could soon be laid bare after the Vatican announced the release of a crucial document which has not been seen for almost 700 years.

A new book, Processus contra Templarios, will be published by the Vatican's Secret Archive on Oct 25, and promises to restore the reputation of the Templars, whose leaders were burned as heretics when the order was dissolved in 1314.

The Knights Templar were a powerful and secretive group of warrior monks during the Middle Ages. Their secrecy has given birth to endless legends, including one that they guard the Holy Grail.

Recently, they have been featured in films including The Da Vinci Code and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/05/wvatican105.xml

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Knights Templars

One of the saddest days in the history of holy Mother Church... of course many of their buildings in the UK at least are still being used. I saw a famous farm of theirs on the Antiques Road Show recently.

Jovan

Suspended
Doran said:
They're covered. Although Indy against the KKK could be pretty cool.
... that really would be. No joke. Like the Nazis, they are a racist group that could be shown at their greatest height of power, looking for something of the occult. But this is just fanboy speculation.

As for historical accuracy, there are tonnes of mistakes in the Indy movies. Not the least of which: weapons existing two or four years before they were even first produced. I guess showing Wehrmacht soldiers equipped with nothing but bolt actions in the first movie (as they would have been before the introduction of the MP38 and then MP40) wouldn't have been all that exciting, but surely they could have given the bad guys MP28s and Lugers instead of MP40s and P38s. :eusa_doh:

Edward

Bartender
Jovan said:
... that really would be. No joke. Like the Nazis, they are a racist group that could be shown at their greatest height of power, looking for something of the occult. But this is just fanboy speculation.

With this being set in the fifties.... weren't the Klan at their peak in the 20s? Of course, that's no reason they couldn't in the 50s be looking for some occult relic in order to return to their glory days. The only difficulty I see with having the Klan in there is with it still being an active organisation today, could that land them with legal issues to deal with? (Mind you, Brother, Where Art Thou? seemed to get away with it).

Jovan

Suspended
There have been many movies where the KKK have been depicted. I have not heard about a single case where they have sued, much less won a lawsuit over such a thing. But really, can they? It's a historical fact that they terrorized non-whites, and white sympathizers. It'd be like suing James Cameron for showing the Titanic sink. Who knows, maybe their leader is even flattered at having them shown in movies...:eusa_doh:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The pants wrinkle like cotton.. the shirts too thick and he's wearing sun glasses.

HarrisonFord-727571.jpg

I hope the search for the chrystal skulls is worth it.

Edward

Bartender
Matt Deckard said:
The pants wrinkle like cotton.. the shirts too thick and he's wearing sun glasses.

HarrisonFord-727571.jpg

I hope the search for the chrystal skulls is worth it.

Are the sunglasses part of the costume? This is obviously not taken during filming.....

What do you mean by the shirt being too thick and the torusers looknig like cotton - are these incorrect details for the fifties, or is this by comparison to the earlier IJ costumes?

sarah smith

New in Town
Matt Deckard said:

I didn't realize that sunglasses were a modern invention? But they did have electric cars I guess and Hollywood coffee shops?

LOL
JK

RIOT

Practically Family
Interesting breakdown of Indy trailer

Paramount Logo

Black screen

We hear a low buzzing

Shot of a mass of big jeeps crossing the desert

Fade to black

JIM BROADBENT: There are many secrets in this world...

Shot of a wooden box being loaded onto a loader

fade to black

JIM BROADBENT: ..that man was not meant to discover!

Shot of the Ark being lifted out of its confines as military scientists watch in awe.

fade to black

A shot of the lid being lifted off the ark

cut to black

Cut to Indy and Jim in a university hallway

JIM BROADBENT: There are others who seek the power of the ark now!

cut to black

Shot of Indy leaving the university, looks like he's being watched

Shot a woman in a white dress stepping from a vehicle

CATE: Your services are required Dr Jones

Shot of Cate talking to Indy, she opens a box revealing a Crystal skull

INDIANA: I'm sorry I Cant help you!!

Shot of Marion tied up in the back of a vehicle kicking and screaming. The door opens and Indy reacts.

CATE: Your reward...is her life!

INDIANA: Marion!

Shot of a ship crossing the ocean

Massive shot of Indy and Ray Winstone in a temple

Shot of Shia fighting next to rotating blades

Shot of a huge Mayan city

Shot of Indy racing through catacombs

Shot of Cate slapping Marion, Marion slaps her back.

Shot of Cate by the crystal skull alter, a fleet of soldier behind her, we can just see the ark,
she places a crystal skull down!

Shot of Jim Broadbent looking very worried.

Shot of A Mayan temple exploding with the power of the Ark

Shot of Indy and Shia swinging across A huge ravine walls collapsing around them. Shia slips at the edge. Indy grabs his Hand.

TITLES: INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL

Shot of Marion punching Indy

INDY: I should have seen that coming!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav