Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inspector Bunstead's Hat

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Hey all,
I was watching Dark City again this weekend and was very impressed by the hat worn by William Hurt's character "Inspector Bumstead".

vlcsnap-5701519.jpg

/hotlink

It looks like a wider brimmed Akubra Federation (maybe 3 in?), which considering that the movie was filmed in Australia would not be unusual. During the movie you can also see that the lining is a bright red satin. Didn't Akubra use red liners at one time?

I searched for previous posts about this, but didn't find any. Anybody have more info on this hat?

QMcK

Familiar Face
Yesterday, I went to a hat shop that's having a closing down sale. I looked at a couple of Akubras, but they didn't fit me. I think the Akubras had bright red linings.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I like Hurt's hat, but it's definitely not an Akubra Federation in any of its iterations--the crown has a distinct taper and does not appear to be as tall.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
AlterEgo said:
I like Hurt's hat, but it's definitely not an Akubra Federation in any of its iterations--the crown has a distinct taper and does not appear to be as tall.
If you look at it from another angle, it doesn't really have much taper to it:

darkcity06.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Hurt's Akubra model is either hard to find or no longer made. It was called something like the Adventurer or the Hollywood or some such. I tried to track it down some years ago, having found it on an Akubra site, but never found an actual vendor that carried it. It can open crowned with a very wide brim. It was either 3 inches or a little over (it was written in mm, naturally). The crown was lower than the Federation, I know, but not as low as the Squatter.

One of our fellow Loungers (I can't remember who, now) had Art duplicate it in gray.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
Hurt's Akubra model is either hard to find or no longer made. It was called something like the Adventurer or the Hollywood or some such. I tried to track it down some years ago, having found it on an Akubra site, but never found an actual vendor that carried it. It can open crowned with a very wide brim. It was either 3 inches or a little over (it was written in mm, naturally). The crown was lower than the Federation, I know, but not as low as the Squatter.

One of our fellow Loungers (I can't remember who, now) had Art duplicate it in gray.

Aha, thank you. Now I have another impossible-to-find hat to add to my wish list. ;)

vagrantfedora

New in Town
Try looking at caliqo.com, they custom make a lot of film hats and I found Bumstead's hat on there as well. Expensive, yes, but more to the point what you are looking for.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Other than the fact that Bunstead's is grey and the Adventurer is brown, it looks pretty close.

The Adventurer has a smaller dimensional brim and taller straighter crown. This hat looks more along the lines of a wide ribboned Squatter with it's 3" brim. But who knows if it was produced as a hat for this movie :)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, there's no reason to believe that the Bumstead hat is an off-the-shelf unmodified factory hat. It could have very well been a modified factory, or custom made, hat, Adventurer name or not.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
"Until the End of the World" hat

Hurt definitely seems to go for the wide brims. One of my inspirations for choosing the dark gray color for my first Fed was the hat Hurt wore in the Wim Wenders film "Until the End of the World" (1991; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101458/). It's hard to find stills from that film. Anybody have a shot or two, and does anybody have an idea what hat model that one was, or might have been based on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou