Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instead of a baseball cap!

Michaelson

One Too Many
Well, my friend, this has been a real eye opener! Thank you VERY much! I've NEVER come across these ladies before, let alone their place in ragtime history! I'm truly surprised! I'll definitely look further into this. Wonder how difficult THEIR stride rhythem is for the left hand.:confused: :) High regards, and thank you again!!! Michaelson
UPDATE: I just found and purchased a 33 1/3 record of this very title on eBay with a 'buy it now' feature. $.99, no less!:eek: Yes, I can play it...remember, I still have a working 8 track too!;)

Paladin

One of the Regulars
I have both a record-player (and all--ALL--of my old albums--including all of Herb Alpert's and Sergio Mendes, and the Beatles) along with an 8 track record-playback unit that I bought back in the 70's to make custom eight tracks for my car. And I still have the box of the custom eight tracks I made too. Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Willie Nelson, Beach Boys, and (sorry) disco.

What great timing, for you to find the album on eBay after I send you the link on the CD. It's a great album, one of the most enjoyable ragtimes discs you'll hear. Let me know what you think after listening to it-PM me when you get the chance after enjoying. And I know you will.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Heh, my wife's father still has a wax cyllinder player, along with the cyllinders of recordings of his grandfather singing in a barbershop quartet.

I too am a fan of Joplin-style span piano playing. I had the good fortune to see Butch Thompson play here in my town, and most of what he played were rags. If you ever have the chance to see his Trio, I highly recommend doing so.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
I going to help derail this topic some more . . .

I love ragtime! My theory/composition teacher in college turned me on to it. She was a master at ragtime (she was also old enough to have taught Joplin ;) ). She would often start each class by playing a bit of rag (usually her own composition).

I also sang barbershop for a while in college. I was a member of a chorus called "The Twin Mountain Tonesmen", which was a part of SPEBSQSA (or the Society for the Preservation & Encouragement of BarberShop Quartet Singing in America). Both of these (ragtime and barbershop) are true uniquely American forms of music.

Paladin

One of the Regulars
Barbershop and ragtime.....two of my favorites. In my opinion, two of the four uniquely American sounds. The third and fourth--again, to me--would be Motown and Gershwin. Different sounds, but uniquely American. One regret I have (among the many) is that I never learned how to play piano. We have a piano in the house for many years and I just never took lessons. I'd love to be able to sit down and roll out some ragtime and Cole Porter. Sounds like some of you have been able to do that for years......

Michaelson

One Too Many
I played for so long now, I've developed tendonitis in my left elbow (which I'm REALLY enjoying this morning:( ). It's time to build my arms back up again, as I've laid off for several years now. Recently I've been given an upright piano it excellent shape. All I need to do is get it from the store to my house. Anybody got a mule and 8 men not doing anything in the near future? Regards. Michaelson:)

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
Here in Missouri that type of hat is usually called a ?¢‚Ǩ?ìKroger?¢‚Ǩ?.
I am told the name comes from the fact that in the depression folks most often wore that style of hat when they would rob the grocery store (you could pull it down to cover your face).
I have had several over the years. I think Robert Redford wore one in The Sting.
Regards,
Forrestal

Michaelson

One Too Many
He sure did. You see a LOT of them being worn in 'The Natural' too! Watched that on AMC last night, admiring all the fedoras and 8 panels there...(along with everything else about that movie.;) ) Regards. Michaelson

Originally posted by Michaelson
He sure did. You see a LOT of them being worn in 'The Natural' too! Watched that on AMC last night, admiring all the fedoras and 8 panels there...(along with everything else about that movie.;) ) Regards. Michaelson

You watched that too? I guess I wasn't the only one then. :D
I wonder how many hats it took to top all those people in the stands. What was that hat on the judge? Looked like some strange dark brown Open Road. Redford had a decent hat and so did the other team players. What specific era were they trying to represent? I thought I caught a glimpse of a few more "modern hats."

regards to all,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
It looked like an 'Openroad' to me too. They looked like they were trying to achieve the 20's/30's look, and were all over the scale. Regards. Michaelson

Paladin

One of the Regulars
Robert Prosky. A long-time very accomplished character actor. Remember when he took over as the precinct sargeant on Hill Street Blues?

Michaelson

One Too Many
Thank you! I've searched all over today trying to find that, and all I could find was the list of principal players. Well, considering the movie came out in 1984, info is getting a bit sparce now. :rolleyes: Regards. Michaelson

Paladin

One of the Regulars
As for when it was supposed to have taken place....since the first night game in professional baseball was played in 1935, and looking at the uniforms, autos and fashions, I would guess it was supposed to take place in 1936-37, around there.

Hobbs also came back 16 years after the shooting. That would mean the Babe Ruth type in the spats that he whiffed on three pitches would have had to been in the early 20's, no later. If it were any later, it would mean he had his only season in the 40's, and that just wasn't the case. So if you do the math, that makes it about 1936-1937.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Based on the timeline they give in the movie, it's supposed to be 1939, so you're right in the old, uh, ballpark?:rolleyes: ;) Regards. Michaelson

schwammy

Familiar Face
Originally posted by Paladin
Barbershop and ragtime.....two of my favorites. In my opinion, two of the four uniquely American sounds. The third and fourth--again, to me--would be Motown and Gershwin.

I agree but would also include...

1. Jazz
2. Country/Western/Bluegrass
3. Gospel
4. Blues
5. Rock and Roll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael