Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instead of a baseball cap!

Fedora

Vendor
Well, if you are gonna wear a cap, the Gatsby Wool looks sort of spiffy. A few years ago, my great Uncle came down from Memphis to see us. He brought his son with him. Both were wearing this style cap. I must say, they looked like they stepped out of the thirties. While not for me, I think they look good on certain people. Oh, my Great Uncle was 92 at the time. :D regards, Fedora

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Canadave
...I had one very similar to #8 made for me about 25 years ago. I should dig it out.

Here it is. Looks a bit like a shower cap in this pic, but you get the idea!

cap.JPG

David

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Have you SEEN THIS MAN?

David, what is with the 1/2 face? I am beginning to think you are either very shy, suspicious of having your mug on the internet, or you are wanted by someone?:p

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: Have you SEEN THIS MAN?

Originally posted by Andykev
David, what is with the 1/2 face?

From another thread...

Originally posted by Canadave
Would you believe...Witness Protection Program??? ;)

No, not shy MK, just overly private I guess. I may break down and "come out of my shell" one day.

David

IndyBlues

New in Town
Those caps actually look pretty cool. Thanks for the link SHARPETOYS. Kangol hats makes a slightly downsized version in a lighter weight, summer material. Think Samuel L. Jackson in most of his press interview photos of late.
They look great with a bomber jacket too.
Sylvester Stallone made a pretty cool movie set in the 20's, called Paradise Alley, and he wore one of those with an A-2, if I recall correctly.

BTW, it's possible that Canadave is Wilson from Home Improvement. I like the anonymity of his posts, no worse than using a fictional character for your avatar. It's actually better.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I wore the 6 panel Gatsby 'newsboy' cap all through Jr. and Sr. high school. Boy, do THESE photos bring back memories! High regards. Michaelson

Originally posted by IndyBlues
BTW, it's possible that Canadave is Wilson from Home Improvement. I like the anonymity of his posts, no worse than using a fictional character for your avatar. It's actually better.

I guess it is not too bad to have our own Wilson (D.B. Cooper). Next time you take a picture David, do it peeking over the top of a fence. LOL LOL

Regards to all,

J

Paladin

One of the Regulars
I used to wear the Gatsby cap in the early '70's while at college. Very popular then. I bought one in Dublin about 6-7 yrs ago too--wasn't planning to wear it since it wasn't back in style yet, but couldn't pass up a real Irish tweed cap. It does look great with a bomber jacket. Remember "The Sting"? Newman in a great fedora while Redford did the Gatsby cap. These are still very popular in the UK.

I bet it's only a year or two before they come back again--very retro. 20's, 30's, 70's.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I was sitting in the same crowd with my 8 panel watching the Sting with you, Paladan! After seeing the movie, I walked to the local music store near the university I was attending, purchased the 'complete Scott Joplin book', then walked to a local church's piano and worked for 6 solid hours before I could convince my left hand to play 'stride rhythem'. (I was a pipe organ performance major at the time. Bach never WROTE ragtime, so it was a new experience for me;) ) I, too, have fond rememberances of that movie, music and hat. BUT, that said, it was also that movie that resurrected my interest in the fedora, and I slowly moved away from the cap, and back into my other headgear.

I may be ordering something from this fellow for me and my son-in-law, who is ALSO an 8 panel fan....

High regards. Michaelson

Paladin

One of the Regulars
Great memories, Michaelson....I owe that movie to my collection of Scott Joplin and other ragtime artists. Do you have the female ragtime artists? Great album. Yes, that movie inspired my interest in ragtime, fedoras and the like. That and of course "The Untouchables" with Robert Stack back in the early '60's.

Michaelson

One Too Many
No, I don't. I'm a big Joshua Rifkin fan myself. His playing style is close to mine (or should I say 'vice versa'.;) ) Thanks to someone here who posted a free radio IP link, I found a GREAT free ragtime radio station out of Virginia that plays GREAT ragtime music. To make this post legitimate, I'm also in email conversation with Brett at this hat site to make up some of these old 8 panel Gatsby hats for Christmas for some family members. Like Sharpetoy, stay tuned for further developments. (If I get one, I can wear it while playing Joplin.;) ) Regards. Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael