Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting article on QM2

Dalexs

Practically Family
Found this in this mornings Boston globe .
An interesting read over breakfast.

Enjoy

H.D.S. GREENWAY
Echoes of the age of ocean liners
By H.D.S. Greenway, 1/9/2004

THE LARGEST and most expensive passenger ship ever built, the Cunard Line's Queen Mary 2, is scheduled soon to depart England on her maiden voyage to the new world 164 years after the first Cunarder crossed. But the economics of ocean travel have changed since the airplane stole the trans-Atlantic trade.

Her predecessor, the first Queen Mary, launched in 1934, was an express liner built to carry passengers between New York and Europe. The new QM2 is primarily a cruise ship. Along with the older Queen Elizabeth 2, she will make just a few trans-Atlantic crossings. Nothing could be more symbolic of that than her first destination: Fort Lauderdale, Fla., instead of New York City, where fireboats and flotillas traditionally greet new liners.

When I crossed eastbound on the old Queen Mary in 1960, one had a choice of British, French, Italian, Swedish, Dutch, Canadian, German, or American ships that would speed you to Europe. There is nothing in travel today that can top the glamour and romance of those deep and enormous steam-whistle notes echoing across Manhattan when a liner was about to leave, the sound carrying "the whole history of departure, longing, and loss," as E.B. White once said. While a traveler is restricted to two suitcase on a plane today, social arbiter Lucius Beebe used to say that "20 pieces of luggage were an absolute basic minimum for social survival" on an Atlantic crossing.

The day I sailed, the New York Herald Tribune ran a front-page photograph of eight passenger ships in a row on the West Side and reported that "trans-Atlantic liners disembarked 6,267 passengers at Hudson River piers, yesterday," with another 1,358 across the river in Hoboken. It was a record for the month of June, but by then the airplane was already eating away at sea travel. In time, all the great liners in that photograph were swept away and many of their piers left to decay. The port of choice for the ever burgeoning cruise ship trade, when the ships come north, is becoming Bayonne, N.J.

The golden age of ocean liners began before World War I when the maritime powers competed in size and luxury for the trans-Atlantic business and the ships themselves were symbols of national pride. As elegant and expensive as their first-class accommodations were, more than half their profits came from the "huddled masses" who poured into America steerage class in the early years of the century.

The world best remembers the White Star liner Titanic, then the biggest ship in the world. Less than a month after her sinking, however, Germany launched a bigger ship, the Imperator, that had four times as many life boats as well. The Germans and the British competed in ocean liners the way the Soviets and the Americans would later compete in space. Today no great ships are built in Britain. The Scotland-built Queen Elizabeth 2 had to turn to Hamburg when she was refitted some years ago.

The new Queen Mary 2 was French built, in St. Nazaire, scene of a tragic accident. A gangway collapse in November killed 15 people, but a far worse disaster befell her predecessor. In 1942 the Queen Mary, then a troop ship, rammed the British warship Curacao off Scotland, cutting her in two with a loss of 300 souls.

Ships competed not only in luxury but in speed; the coveted "Blue Riband" being awarded for a record crossing. In the early years German and British ships dominated. But between wars the Italian liner Rex captured the Blue Riband, then the French Liner Normandie, which lost it again to the Queen Mary. The last Blue Riband winner was the American liner United States in 1952, cutting the Queen Mary's record by 10 hours.

The Normandie was considered to be the most beautiful of all the ocean liners, but the only time I ever saw her was when she was burning at her 46th Street Pier in New York in the winter of 1942. She caught fire as she was being converted to a troop ship. Thirty years later I would see the Queen Elizabeth, in her time the biggest ship in the world, burning in Hong Kong harbor as she was being converted into a seagoing college.

The Rex was sunk by British planes in 1944. The Andrea Doria was lost off Nantucket after a collision with the Swedish liner Stockholm in 1956. The United States was mothballed at Newport News in 1969. The sleek France, one of the last of the true liners, was sold to Norwegians and converted into a cruise ship in 1979, and the Queen Mary is now a hotel in Long Beach, Calif. So they all went, one by one, the rest to the breakers' yards.

Today the money is in transporting people in shorts and sunburns to warm climates rather than carrying immigrants and swells with 20 pieces of luggage through the icy North Atlantic. But now that air travel has become so unspeakably dreadful, hats off to the Cunard Line for keeping at least an echo of the North Atlantic trade alive, a last reminder of a time when these vast vessels were the only way to go.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
A couple of odd comments, but I would say an interesting article never the less.

I will say I learned one point. I knew that luggage was much larger and more pieces....but I didn't know people would travel with 20!

It really is too bad that our culture is so driven by time. Traveling by ship is far superior to being crammed into an aircraft.

Sergei

Gone Home
It's interesting the article indicates that the QM2 will be primarily a cruise ship, with few transatlantic crossings. So the hull design and draft must be a hybrid???

I found a good definition/discussion on the differences between a cruise ship and an ocean liner:
.... the primary consideration is the intended purpose and use of the vessel. Cruise ships are designed to loll about vacation destinations, basically with the specific purpose of acting as a sea-going resort. Liners, on the other hand, while in many cases very luxurious, are primarily designed to provide swift, safe and comfortable transportation from point "A" to point "B". And, while a cruise ship has the luxury of changing course and itinerary to steer around the hazards of severe weather and the like, a liner has no choice but to drive on through the worst nature can conjure and maintain her schedule. Because of this, you will see several major differences in the design of the hull of a true liner. The short, blunt bow and flat transom stern of the typical cruise ship wouldn't survive the rigors of a winter North Atlantic crossing. It is the sever weather that the liners were built to cope with that is responsible for the long, fine bow, spoon-shaped stern and the rising sheer line fore and aft. Without these features, and ship's bow wouldn't withstand the constant pounding through heavy seas; the stern would be similarly pounded in following seas. Liners also generally have a deeper draft which provides better riding characteristics in dirty weather. A cruise ship's shallow draft, intended to allow passage into shallow Carribean ports, cause the typical cruise ship to wallow like a sick whale in heavy seas; and the stabilizers are of no help, because in weather that foul, they are retracted to prevent them from being damaged.

Dalexs

Practically Family
He states in the last paragraph that the primary money making machine is the short run cruises, which is what Cunard does alot of, especially out of Florida.

Its ashame that this hurry hurry society of ours has the opportunity to get there quick, because things like ocean cruises and train travel are becoming and expensive and dying breed of travel.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Although I had never given any thought to the difference between a cruise ship and an ocean liner, I found that definition very interesting. Thanks Sergei.

I wish I had enough extra time in my life where I could take a ocean cruise and still have time left to enjoy my destination. For the normal Joe, it just doesn't work.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
CHEERS

To MK. YES!! you nailed it! Two weeks, hell I get 5 after 20 years with my company. I would prefer a train, or a ship. Unfortunately, look at Amtracks fees for a trip from SF to Chicago to visit OPTIMO. It takes almost three days and costs about $1200 to $1400 !! YIKES!! I can fly SOUTHWEST on a 737-800 from OAK to Midway for $89 bucks each way, and Kevin picked me up at the airport!! DUH!

The cost of nostalgia, is expensive. But remember, you are gonna be dead some day and that is forever. So for now, enjoy the day, savor the moment, Take the train, sail the ship!! And have a good drink and a smoke while you share the experience with your someone special. THAT IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Well, as much as the appeal of taking a train, or ship intriques me, it just boils down to time for me. Yes, the added cost is a factor but time is my most precious item. Andy, with my incentives and all I get close to 10 weeks of vacation (I thought I'd rub that in a little!) per year. However, after taking a week here and some days there for family issues, my total vacation time really dwindles down.

Right now for me, I can't imagine going somewhere I've never been and using half of my vacation time just getting there and back. When I travel I want to get there as quickly as I can so I can spend as much time as possible there.

If I was retired, different story. If I was going someplace that I had been to before and knew pretty well, different story. But, for me, right now... Get me there ASAP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran