Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting Idea

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
This topic is very interesting to me.....I think I mentioned in another thread how i had recently purchased "The Pocket Stylist" by Kendall Farr. And I am learning so much from it already.

At one point (in my 20s) I was very trendsetting in mix and match vintage schtuff, but now that my shape has shifted and I am in my late 30's I am feeling very lost as far as style goes.
I finally officially stopped shopping in the juniors section last year as their largest size no longer fit....or it would fit it some spots and not in others. Making this decision has helped my self-esteem immensely. :) Actually, making my own clothes PERIOD has helped immensely.

I have a tendency to like "bright and shiny" objects---which means alot of my clothes either don't match, or something is kind of "off" with them. :)
This means I have never felt like a very "polished" person. (and it also means that these kinds of lists are most intriguing.)

I enviously watch women who have that very classic look...you know, a sort of timeless elegance where everything is in proportion?
I have begun the journey to discover their secret, and still retain some eclectic and artsy style of my own.

I highly recommend Farr's book---it has a "Bare Bones Checklist" of what you need in your wardrobe, undergarment recommendations, and tips for what looks the best on your body shape..she lists 6 different shapes and a section for each. VERY helpful.

I went thru my closet and was finally FINALLY able to figure out why things looked either fabulous or wonky. And some of the shirts that looked wonky needed minimal tailoring to fix....One was just two inches too long and as soon as I hemmed it to a higher point on my hip, it looked AWESOME and I swear I looked ten pounds lighter. Crazy.

As far as color goes....I need to learn to neutralize a little. :) Looking forward to reading more thoughts on color.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
My SWAP (sewing with a plan) is based on this concept. Unfortunately, now that a huge chunk of my SWAP is done, I find that I'm just not wearing the pieces. While I like the idea of interchangable pieces, what I really love is pretty dresses.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
My SWAP (sewing with a plan) is based on this concept. Unfortunately, now that a huge chunk of my SWAP is done, I find that I'm just not wearing the pieces. While I like the idea of interchangable pieces, what I really love is pretty dresses.

EXACTLY!! So should we just bag the whole idea and wear whatever we want??? lol If you have a closet full of pretty dresses and cardigans, I see no problem with that! :)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Right now I'm looking at my colours being, possibly: Black, white/ivory, gray, green, and maybe yellow. Yellow is a colour I like a lot but it's not the very easiest colour to work with, and it isn't as classic as red or pink. But it's so cheerful.

Also I've been told black doesn't work with yellow "unless you want to look like a bee"? [huh]

I'd probably wear more brown if I had a single pair of brown shoes but at the moment I tore the heel off my brown boots and haven't got anything now. What are the rules as far as brown with black? Are they the same for khaki?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
kamikat said:

I thought you were gonna do a thread on this :eek:

LD

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Viola said:
Right now I'm looking at my colours being, possibly: Black, white/ivory, gray, green, and maybe yellow. Yellow is a colour I like a lot but it's not the very easiest colour to work with, and it isn't as classic as red or pink. But it's so cheerful.

Also I've been told black doesn't work with yellow "unless you want to look like a bee"? [huh]

I beg to differ! I wear a yellow cardigan sweater with a black skirt (well, black with white florals) all the time. I think the contrast is a little striking if you wear solid black with solid yellow; a little print or texture difference couldn't hurt. But yes, you *can* wear black with yellow!

If anyone asks if you're "actually wearing black with yellow", just reply with my favorite phrase from Maxwell Smart: "And loving it!"

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
I thought you were gonna do a thread on this :eek:

LD

I was mainly posting to the sewing threads about it. I ran out of steam when I realized that, once done, I didn't really like the pieces. The finished pieces have sat in my closet for a month, unworn. Part of it was poor choices, the linen was too soft to hold the shape of the fitted blouse, the cotton was too stiff to drape nicely in the circle skirt. I should have stuck with my original gored A-line skirt, but went with the circle skirt because it had fewer seams, therefore, were quicker to make. I have some of the solids left that I could use for other garments, but the print to used up. I've thought about trying to remake the print skirt. I might be able to get the gored skirt from it, since a circle skirt uses so much fabric.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I just found this preview for the Pocket Stylist book MissAmelina mentioned. Sounds useful.

Personally I'm all over the place, I've never shopped strategically but in stead just after what I like. :eek: What I've ended up with is a huge mess, where I have some really, really nice and spectacular pieces, but noting to wear them with. I'm especially guilty of doing this with tops, because I find it much easier to find nice tops than a well-fitted skirt, for example. Also, color wise, I'm all over the place since I have no idea what colors suit me, so I just shop for the colors I like.

How do you back on track, if you don't have an excuse (and can't afford) to rebuild your entire wardrobe?

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
I happen to be an enormous fan of black and pink together. It might be a bit overdone, but I just think it's one of those combinations you can't go wrong with.

roselily

One of the Regulars
Helysoune said:
I happen to be an enormous fan of black and pink together. It might be a bit overdone, but I just think it's one of those combinations you can't go wrong with.

During my ballet years I pretty much lived in this combo.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
I just found this preview for the Pocket Stylist book MissAmelina mentioned. Sounds useful.

Personally I'm all over the place, I've never shopped strategically but in stead just after what I like. :eek: What I've ended up with is a huge mess, where I have some really, really nice and spectacular pieces, but noting to wear them with. I'm especially guilty of doing this with tops, because I find it much easier to find nice tops than a well-fitted skirt, for example. Also, color wise, I'm all over the place since I have no idea what colors suit me, so I just shop for the colors I like.

How do you back on track, if you don't have an excuse (and can't afford) to rebuild your entire wardrobe?

To find your best colors, try this site:

http://trepanrr.tripod.com/defining_your_season.htm

For skirts, get a skirt in a neutral color that fits your hips and have the waist taken in (or vice versa). If modern skirts ride too low, try a vintage store.

JennyLou

Practically Family
I wish my wardrobe could include more colors. I wear mainly black, and sometimes dark browns, red and navy outfits. My says that I have been wearing mainly black since I was in second grade- I didn't know it has been that long and my aunt use to complain about it. I wish I could find some lighter outfits, especially for the spring and summer months. My friend complains that I need more color in my life but I feel really uncomfortable in light colrs. To me, wearing lighter colors would be such a drastic change but I feel that if I chose the right one it might work. I'm just not sure how to go about doing it. Paisley- the sight you posted looks like a good start. Thanks.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Jenny, maybe start with "softer" lighter colours? It doesn't have to be straight into hot pink - maybe some satin grays at first, or some of the diffused greens, moss or celery for instance, instead of kelly.

And start perhaps softening black with accessories: a great pin, or scarf, that coordinates while offering a bit of pop. You have the comfort zone of the bulk of the outfit but you can begin to find brighter colours that suit you.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
JennyLou said:
I wish my wardrobe could include more colors. I wear mainly black, and sometimes dark browns, red and navy outfits. My says that I have been wearing mainly black since I was in second grade- I didn't know it has been that long and my aunt use to complain about it. I wish I could find some lighter outfits, especially for the spring and summer months. My friend complains that I need more color in my life but I feel really uncomfortable in light colrs. To me, wearing lighter colors would be such a drastic change but I feel that if I chose the right one it might work. I'm just not sure how to go about doing it. Paisley- the sight you posted looks like a good start. Thanks.

Pastels aren't your thing. My guess is that you're a winter. If that's the case, you should stick with the colors you like and possibly add white or very pale tints. A black and white print might work. See the color combinations thread in the Powder Room, starting about page 3.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
JennyLou, I totally understand you. In the thread Paisley referred t, she and another lady helped me understand that I'm a winter, which understands why I love black so much - it actually looks really good on me. About pastels, feel bad every time I wear them, they are just not me. Some pastels look fine on me, but I don't feel fine in them, not suitable for my character. Beige, camel - they look awful on me. You say you wear red, so what about trying some other strong, saturated colors like red, for example emerald green and sapphire blue, and see if that's more you. :)

JennyLou

Practically Family
Laura Chase, Thank you for the advice. I like the idea of emrald green. Lately I've been stiking to black, red, brown and navy but with lighter colors in the print. I've had so much trouble understanding what season am I. I tried to use the link Paisley posted a few post back but I'm a dunce and was confused. I'll take a look at it again.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
JennyLou said:
Laura Chase, Thank you for the advice. I like the idea of emrald green. Lately I've been stiking to black, red, brown and navy but with lighter colors in the print. I've had so much trouble understanding what season am I. I tried to use the link Paisley posted a few post back but I'm a dunce and was confused. I'll take a look at it again.

If you can take some photos of yourself in daylight and tell a bit about your natural hair color, eye color and which colors people complement on you, I'm sure that Paisley and chanteuseCarey can help you over in the "Clothing color combinations" thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran