Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting Idea

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Laura Chase said:
If you can take some photos of yourself in daylight and tell a bit about your natural hair color, eye color and which colors people complement on you, I'm sure that Paisley and chanteuseCarey can help you over in the "Clothing color combinations" thread.

I think I need to do this. Since I've stopped coloring my hair, I can't figure out my current Season.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Your season shouldn't actually change - but having different hair colour can throw you off. I think as you age you might choose to wear slightly different shades from your season than you might when you are younger.

Back to the thread..... I suppose I do have colours that I choose for many of my basic clothes, mainly either brown or lighter navy. I used to go for charcoal alot too as I don't wear black. I wear alot of maroon for tops which goes with either of my base colours and I love it as it goes with almost any colour I wear too, as well as suiting me.

However, I feel having a wardrobe based just on four colours would be too restricting for me. I know what colours suit me and go from there. When I read the lists of clothes 'every woman should have' I feel bored silly! I look and feel horrible in black, so I'm never going to have a little black dress. Much better to go for a nice timeless style of dress (whether that is vintage or not) in a colour that suits me AND my style.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:
If you can take some photos of yourself in daylight and tell a bit about your natural hair color, eye color and which colors people complement on you, I'm sure that Paisley and chanteuseCarey can help you over in the "Clothing color combinations" thread.
Yes, I will do this. My camera is dead so I will have to look for some old photos of me. Thanks.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Audrey Hepburn in her early days wore...

Viola, this looks to be a GREAT thread. Due to the late hour (I've been staying up waaay too lately playing on FL!) I have only read your original 1st post thusfar. But I promise I'll read all the replies and soon!

When I saw this part of your message, I remembered something I read in a book about Audrey Hepburn. It said that when she was just starting out and had no money- she had a white blouse, a black skirt, one pair of black flats, a black beret, and seven scarves.

Viola said:
She has a list of things you need (at least two skirts for day, one ankle length and one to somewhere within an inch or two of your knee in either direction) a plain button down white shirt, a silkier shirt that can go from day to night, etc. And she stresses building on accessories, which I find very appealing because it lets you change it up more, and it's a less expensive look.

Or is it all nonsense, ladies? Or do you have a different article/book to post bits of? I love vintage/classic-style guides for style, you could say I need all the help I can get.

tuppence

Practically Family
I think it was in the 80s' and early 90s' that having your colours done was popular. You'd go along, with your friends and some lady would tell you what colours were right for you according to a season, either you were a Summer, Winter etc.

My Auntie did one of these cources and instead of trying to remember what colours she should pick, she went to a hardware/paint store and got a lot of those coloured cards you get free when you want to paint a room, She kept them in her bag when she went shopping and that way she could match her clothes perfectly without having to worry that things would clash.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy