Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting vintage pin curl and waving tools

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
just giving this a bump, as there are a couple of us who have recently purchased hair curling devices and will be trying them out soon.......

Edit: and I think there is a specific "pro-curler" thread here somewhere too....

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Permanent Waving Machine

Hope I put it in the right place, But Here's the pictures of the Permanent Waving machine that I was talking about in the "Show us your purchases" thread.

Top half

Lindsey_Bear

The bottom half

Lindsey_Bear

And a Close up of the clips
Lindsey_Bear

I couldn't imagine being hooked up to this thing.

analiebe

A-List Customer
mon dieu! lollipop... it looks like some crazed torture device!

Lollipop said:
Hope I put it in the right place, But Here's the pictures of the Permanent Waving machine that I was talking about in the "Show us your purchases" thread.

Top half

Lindsey_Bear

The bottom half

Lindsey_Bear

And a Close up of the clips
Lindsey_Bear

I couldn't imagine being hooked up to this thing.

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
That Wasserwellen thing is so cool! When I see stuff like this, I just wish there were someone with the money and means to recreate some of these vintage tools. Considering that there are photo studios devoted entirely to vintage style pin-up shoots and modern books on vintage hairstyling, I just can't believe there isn't a market for some of this stuff!

I imagine you could make molds from things like those Baldwin Marcellers and cast them in silicone or something... it wouldn't be terribly expensive to do, except buying the originals!

I also have a couple of reviews of some vintage tools.

I have Tru-Wave clips, which I don't think I've ever seen mentioned on here before, but they do create a lovely 1920s/early 30s wave. I have yet to try them on my new bob, but I'm very curious if I can crease a reasonably authentic waved bob with them. They are also not all that bad to sleep on, much to my surprise.

And I know that several Loungers have the Mervin Wave Clips; I have four of them and they are wonderful. The wave they create is more of a mid-to-late 30s look - softer and more romantic than the Tru-Waves. When my hair was longer, I would set the bottom in rollers and have these in up around my face; it was a very nice effect - I have to see if I have any photos!

At any rate, both give me beautiful results, and since I simply can't get the hang of finger waving my own hair, they are a great alternative. :eek:

I also just got a Pro-Curler on eBay, so I will be sure to post here and in its thread how that goes. Since my pin curls tend to look sort of sloppy, I'm wondering if I can use it and make them more uniform looking. Here's hoping!

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Ok....so that is probably one of the stupidest questions I have asked yet....(lol always trying to beat my own record) I just got my hands on a 1920's electric marcel waver and it WORKS! I am sooooooo tempted to try it despite every rational voice in my head saying I am going to scald my hair off or burn my house down! Anyone had an experience with this?

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Ok, just thought I would update you guys on my marcel iron...I tried it ( was nervous the whole time) and it worked beautifully on my hair! It didn't overheat or burn my hair, it actually was pretty gentle on it, and it produced a cool wave - it sort of reminds me of the same wave I get from my triple barrel curling iron, although maybe a smaller wave. I will try to post a picture when I have time. I won't use the iron a lot, in case it is doing hidden damage to my hair, but it was so fun to see what the results were!

Mary

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Thanks Olive! Ok, here is a pic of how it looked -

34e476bb.jpg

It is really similar to a modern waving iron...not quite as good as the traditional finger wave technique but considering I had my whole head done in about 10 mins...it worked in a pinch!

Last edited:

olive bleu

One Too Many
That came out well.. love it.I am going to have to try some non-heat-related method of styling my hair..i have just been tackling the front and putting the back up for too long..the front is now very dry and frizzy. not a good look ..

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Thanks Olive!

Yeah totally know what you mean about hair damage! The good news is that there are tons of ways to wave without heat, if you have the patience to let it dry! I have the waving clamps, but never have time to use them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner