Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting vintage pin curl and waving tools

swinggal

One Too Many
Mine are vintage from the 1920s, can't buy them new Yep, I know how to do fingerwaves. I have a a few drawings of them being used but I have never talked to anyone that actually uses them regularly with success.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
A few more items for your perusal:

Greenwitch Water Wavers, they really make your hair look like the photo. I've even slept in them. :eek:

2826774337_8c868dc865_m.jpg

Curlocomb, perfect brush curls (well mostly). I've discovered that brush curls are not the way to wave my hair though. I do get nice small curls though.

2826774261_d752f27a40_m.jpg

My dream purchase, Wasserwellen, I wish I could write to the address in the ad, I've seen similar devices on EBay, but haven't been able to afford them.

2826774217_b7a0964cc0.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
Hmm...very cool. I've see that pic of the all-over head waver somewhere before. Quite ingenious really! I have something similar to the Greenwich ones but yours look much better. I will see if i can take some pics of the stuff that i actually own too :)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Oh wow, the Wasserwellen, with it's silk-covered rubber thingies, sounds so cool on paper. But it doesn't look like it would wave the front nicely. And it looks like it would sorta just make dents in the hair, and not the deep, sculptural waves we all dream of.

It would be nice if the ladies could write a few words about how the different devices are supposed to be used. Like the Mme. X Roll-&-Pin Curler, I have no idea how that's supposed to be used. And the Baldwin Marcellers, are you supposed to put the hair front and back and front and back through all the teeth?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I don't know much about the German Wasserwellen, but the American versions did have a provision for hair scrunching, that is they were adjustable.

The Greenwitch Water Wavers are a barrette with two hinges. You put your hair in while open, then when you move the hinges it makes the S of the wave. So, maybe the Wasserwellen would do that too (at least I can dream). ;)

With the Baldwin Marcellers, you would wave the hair in sections. I am not sure that it would be easy to line up the waves, though the design would make nice S waves if you could line them up correctly.

I also have 90's "Perm for a Day" wavers. They are like large Victorian crimping pins, only made of plastic. There was also a 30's and 40's version in rubber that come up sometimes on EBay, Varsity Wavers I think they are called. I am thinking of experimenting to see if I can get a neat Marcel wave with them, since they use the same principal as the Baldwin Marcellers at a much lower cost.

I have the modern Ryler Stylers too, but I am unimpressed with their waves. This is disappointing, because I wanted to use them to do a permanent.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I don't know where I read this, but I believe these are for women who already had permanent waves put in or women with naturally wavy hair who needed something to coerce the waves into shape. That reminds me ... in German a perm is still called "Dauerwellen" (permanent waves), it could be a reminiscense from the 20s and 30s? Anyway I think it's a cute word :)
swinggal said:

Lillemor

One Too Many
158.jpg

I found this photo when I was doing a random 1920s-1950s hairstyle search. My feelings about what I should do about my hair swings like a pendule these days.

swinggal

One Too Many
ShrinkingViolet said:
Swinggal, I love the mint green colour of that curling tool! It must bakelite or some other type of early plastic, right?

Surely can KS. it should be here soon. Will scan them and make them avail here :)

swinggal

One Too Many
Kitty_Sheridan said:
Swingal! any chance you can reproduce the pin curl tool instructions?
I think I'm using mine correctly, but I'd love to know for sure!
K
x

As promised :) This thing actually works too!! I was amazed! But you have to have the right pins. Mine still has the original Pro-Curls ones. Can't use modern ones with the plastic sealed ends. I didn't realise that the roller actually 'turns' until I read these instructions.

2888469529_cdf15a3976_b.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree, too small and also the firing of bobby pins into random corners of the room got old.
Note the instructions say nothing about holding the bobby pin in the curler while turning...
But the green Bakelite is awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner