Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting vintage pin curl and waving tools

swinggal

One Too Many
Hi all,

I have quite a collection of vintage hair pins, spoolies, water wavers etc and I am always looking for more online. I came across some interesting stuff today that I hadn't seen before and wondered if any of you had these tools.

hair75.jpg

This one is called the 1940's 'Target Shooting Pin Curler'. Apparently the pin curler shoots the hair pin into the curl! How cool!

hair41.jpg

These look really cool. They are advertised as 1920's 'Baldwin Marcellers'. Six rubber combs with elastic bands. Does anyone have these and did they work?

hair80.jpg

I have something similar to this but it doesn't have the split in the middle.

van022b.jpg

van022d.jpg

And check this one out. From the illustration it looks like a 2-part process.

And lastly, does anyone have a link to instructions on how to use 'Water Wavers'? I have a boxful but haven't had much success with them.

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
I actually have the first one. TH\he target shooter but it doesn't work with regular bobby pins...so its useless for me. It's just sitting somewhere in my room...i dont even know here now.[huh]

BeBopBaby said:
I wonder if you could make your own version of the Balwin Marcellers by cutting out similar shapes in cardboard? Hmm....

lol! That's what I was thinking the first time i saw those on ebay! I mean you just wrap your hair in and out around it...so its possible.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I think Cardboard would soak up all the water in your hair...and go mushy...

But a few of the toe separators used for pedicures...glued together with foam glue in the right pattern would work.....I would think.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I think Cardboard would soak up all the water in your hair...and go mushy...

But a few of the toe separators used for pedicures...glued together with foam glue in the right pattern would work.....I would think.

A sheet of the thin craft foam would work even better, no need to glue. Thanks for the idea!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pro Curlers and Jacky

I have a couple of these:
117_1207150649A.jpg

And they are not terribly easy to use. You clamp the ends of a lock of hair in the clamp. Insert a bobby pin with one end in one hole on the end of the curler, in the center and the other end in the other hole, on the prong. Then you twirl. I find it just shoots the bobby pin across the room, and snarls my hair. But, I have a friend who has one like the Mme X and she swears by it. Of course, her hair is half as thick as mine.

I also have Jacky! It is a waver gizmo that you springload, press the teeth against your head, release the spring, and it drags your hair into a wave. I will take pics and post as it is silly and came with the instruction sheet, circa 1930 or so. Cute.

All of these seem way more trouble than they are worth, the comb and fingers still is easiest. With lots of goo.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I've got one of those Miss 1929...I quite like it for shaping the pin curls but I don't bother with loading the pins any more....

Would love some of the rubber marcel wavers!
K

Mary

Practically Family
This is all very fascinating! Especially the marcellers. You all seem to get how they work and I don't at all! Please explain or show me. The girl on the package looks so pretty!

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
BeBopBaby said:
A sheet of the thin craft foam would work even better, no need to glue. Thanks for the idea!

Haha! that is a better idea! I was thinking clay or actual rubber like the original. Your suggestion is easier and much more convenient! Good thinking! I'll have to go to michael's and see if they have something like this.

swinggal

One Too Many
The Marcellers are sturdy rubber. I mean they are bendable, but the rubber is hard like a rubber ball and yes - they are curved. My mum works in a museum and they had a couple there and she let me have a look at them - I just wanted to steal them :)

Can anyone help me with my water wavers question? I have seen diagrams and tried to follow them, but I dont know how to make the combs stay IN the hair. Says to wear a hair net mostly.

hair59-1.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
I have a friend who has one like the Mme X and she swears by it.

Wow! Tell your friend to look after the MME X because the pic of the set I posted was going for $250US at an Art Deco online store!! they are worth a lot of moolar it seems!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
swinggal said:
Can anyone help me with my water wavers question? I have seen diagrams and tried to follow them, but I dont know how to make the combs stay IN the hair. Says to wear a hair net mostly.

hair59-1.jpg

The water waver combs I've seen used, usually come with little hooks on them and are held in place by rubber bands.

I'm sure if you set your head in the waver combs and put on a hair net, or waving net (thicker net... the kind you can tie) they should stay just fine. ;)

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
swinggal said:
Hmmm....still not sure HOW to use them to begin with though. That's the problem.

If you know how to do regular finger waves, I think its practically the same thing. The only difference is you dont take out the comb to make the next wave, you just leave it in. if you don't know how to do regular fingerwaves, I could scan and post one up for you. I have many vintage cosmetology books. There should be some online tutorials too. I'll look for them for you also if you dont know how to set fingerwaves.

Now my question is, where would one purchase those combs? Just came from Sallys and didn't see any. It also could be because I wasn't aware of these combs yet and therefore, not looking for them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner