Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting Website - Retronaut

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I wasn't sure where to post this so please move if necessary.

Discovered this website today:

http://www.retronaut.co/category/1940s/

It has sections for each decade of the 20th Century plus a WW1 and WW2 section. It contains things like scans of magazines and catalogues and a whole host of photos/ other info about the different decades.

Well worth a browse!

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Not Golden Era I know but I particularly like the 'Smiling Victorians' section:

http://www.retronaut.co/2010/06/smiling-victorians/

I think it goes to show that, while a lot of people have the perception that people in eras gone by were somehow less fun loving or youthful, they were just like we are. Every generation thinks it's the first to feel any emotion but these photos show our ancestors were having a whale of a time before we were twinkles in our parent's eyes!

Marzena

One of the Regulars
Fantastic! Here is what really gives one a taste of the eras long gone by - ordinary people getting on with their ordinary lives.

I love this one!

The Plus Fours Routefinder (circa 1920s)

3138.jpg

2168.jpg

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Not Golden Era I know but I particularly like the 'Smiling Victorians' section:

http://www.retronaut.co/2010/06/smiling-victorians/

I think it goes to show that, while a lot of people have the perception that people in eras gone by were somehow less fun loving or youthful, they were just like we are. Every generation thinks it's the first to feel any emotion but these photos show our ancestors were having a whale of a time before we were twinkles in our parent's eyes!

So funny... I was just looking at that section when I flipped back to this thread! I particularly like the couple at the end. I bet they were quite a pair!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Well worth a browse!

Yes indeed! Thank you very much!:)

When i saw these photos in color from before WWI - the year is 1913 I was totally amazed! Like one comment says " So awesomely beautiful..and modern. Could be a shot from any high fashion magazine.."

The caption : "Lieutenant Colonel Mervyn O’Gorman, a distinguised Aeronautical engineer, took these autochromes of his daughter Christina at and near Lulworth Cove in Dorset, in 1913."

3797069726_17a647f5d2_o-restore.jpg

3797069672_846825778f_o-restore.jpg

4425441575_38fd734c20_o-520x352.jpg

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
This is great, but please, ladies! If you find something of general interest, don't keep it to yourselves! The Lounge is for the Boys, too!

Sorry dhermann1, I didn't mean to exclude the boys - honest!

I just didn't really know where else to put it. Admin/ Moderators - please could you move this thread to somewhere more appropriate and less exclusive?

Thank you!

Laura

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
So funny... I was just looking at that section when I flipped back to this thread! I particularly like the couple at the end. I bet they were quite a pair!

That couple were my favourite! They look so mischevious and full of life and love. A gorgeous set of photos.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
OMG, this site is awesome!

I love the Smiling Victorians capsule. Sometimes it's so hard to relate to the people in the conventional, staid, posed, unsmiling photos from that era. These just bring it home that they were just like us, in different clothes and without iphones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy