Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing "Bluesmen" series from VS

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I have stayed out of this thread on purpose. In a weaker moment I now post. Like other posters, I like them all. Certainly I can see different occasions to wear them all. Art's website is promised to showcase the models. I wish to see them side by side. Love them all, but realistically can not own them all.

The theme of blues and blues themed hats is very motivating for me.

Even more to point, I LOVE acoustic blues and specifically pre-war blues music. Much of the pre-war blues was indeed popular music in it's time. Most of the artists at the time hoped to be the next Leroy Carr, Kokomo Arnold or even Big Bill Broonzy. Blues music largely dissapeared from the black charts and was revived as a nostaglic adjunct to the white folk and rock scenes (starting in the 60's) and it blossomed such that that my fav artists became recongized as influencial muscians. I am representative of a large group of urban white blues music fans that see many of the "oldster" musicans as showing the path to a wild soulfull art. Rationally I now that this is largely romantisism as most of my music idols were popular artists in their time. The poverty and oppresive nature of America that largely created the blues is true, but the up-to date music and power of the music was attractive to race record buyers and listeners in the day. As popular artists many of the blues artists dressed the part of the successfull popular muscian. Best attire and fedoras they could aquire was not uncommon. This has been noted in many fo the researched books showcasing popular pre-war blues artists. I have read many of the accounts and interviews and try to put the decisions and lifestyles in context of the time/lifestyle.

Today we recognize mostly black male guitar players as the seminole blues artists of note. Popular music, by record sales, see female artists, pre war, as leading the record sales. Chicken and egg - as they all were notable and had enormous influence.

I love the popular blues music of the 20's-40's. I find it powerfull in music and theme. Popular blues fans have romanticized many artists and advanced notions of purpose and reason, of the music and artists, that may not be accurate. For me that does not hinder my enjoyment of the music. I find I enjoy the history, context and music. This makes me a true fan.

Art Fawcett's hats offer tribute to some really terrific artists. I can be certain that they would be pleased to have been remembered and spoken about. I have visited with only a couple of "legends" and played with a couple, and they are amused and pleased to be appreciated by us "modern blues fans."

Can not wait to see the showcase of Blues Fedoras. Perhaps I can commision one in honorarium of one of my fav's?

Really enjoying the hats and comments posted. Good to hear of the love of blues is shared by so many.

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Hungary Tom just posted another Robert Johnson-in-hat photos, below. That man dressed sharp. None of this poor man stuff. If this image doesn't translate for some reason, go see Hungary Tom's post on the Panama Hat thread just now, first picture.

Musicians panama hats

Robert Johnson
http://pennylibertygbow.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/robertjohnson.jpg

Art, congratulations on your new series.
You have blocked for me back in 2009 one 'Alarcon' woven Montecristi hat body from Panamabob,
IMG_4569.jpg

which is done in the "Po Bob" style as shown on this Cover photo, it seems you had this "blues" in your soul for quite a while. I finally could lay my hands on the CD with his original records in 2010. And now two years later, I just saw this cover of Robert Johnson unearth right now and the style is pretty much nailed on the head. Now my hat got a name - 'Delta blues' and a proof that Art can blues panama hats as well.

- From this new family, the dove grey 'HoneyBoy' IS my favourite...Hoochie coochie
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/aroundthemall/files/2011/08/david-honeyboy-edwards.jpg

Nice to see so much life in this thread, and to witness a real contemporary artist in action, Art!

Last edited:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you Tom, It's good to hear from you again.
I don't want to throw cold water on this but while in Memphis I was told that the current controversy is that another photograph of RJ has appeared and the historians are doubting it. You see, there is only one known pic of him ( according to my sources) and it's the one shown earlier in this thread with him in full suit and sitting . I have a copy of the latest pic under question ( given to me by Tater Red)of him on the street playing on Beale. I have to question if the picture on that cover is really him. It's a great panama, and great pic, but not sure it's RJ

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not my business, but I think it would be fruitful enough to imagine "what Robert Johnson would have worn," or "could have worn," in the spirit of his personality, however you pictured it to be. Then you could have a line of hats inspired by Robert Johnson, including the one hat we know for sure he wore. More customers would buy that way, if you had a range of them, however limited. JMHO.

Thunderball

One of the Regulars
I always thought the photo booth self portrait was the second accepted real photograph.
RobertJohnsonPhotobooth_zpsc11adba5.jpg

They made a postage stamp out of this one. They removed the cigarette and had a different background.
RobertJohnsonStamp_zpsa673f8af.png

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I haven't studied it in any detail Thunderball so I haven't seen this article. Thanks for posting it. Then what I'm talking about is a third picture but you see the controversy even a second brought on with the historians. I will stand corrected Sir.
Dan, I'm sure you are right and after I get back from LA I will put it into the works. For the moment I have to finish giving Ed all of the details so he can get my site up to date.

DesertDan

One Too Many
This is a fabulous series Art, you have created some real gems here!
The "Nighthawk" and the "Barrelhouse" really get my blood pumping.
I fear that my tax refund may be in deadly peril!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner