Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction, and question...

DocBob345

Familiar Face
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm new here to the lounge and have been enjoying this incredible learning experience (as well as the fun).

I am going to order one of Art Fawcett's beautiful fedoras, and in the meantime have been stuck with my latest acquisition, a flimsy "Pendleton" wool fedora. My question - is there anything that can be done to stiffen/shape this hat?

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Best,
Robert

DocBob345 said:
A flimsy "Pendleton" wool fedora. My question - is there anything that can be done to stiffen/shape this hat?
In Western Hats shops they list a stiffener like this:
http://www.villagehatshop.com/hat_stiffener.html

And it seems Hatters use the same shellac as furniture builders, the type that disolves in alcohol. It gets painted onto the underside of the hat.

That's about all I know.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A-237m.jpg

One of many brands, available from most online retailers & local tack shops too...& welcome aboard, DocBob!

DocBob345

Familiar Face
Art's Fedora

Thanks Steven,

I can't wait to ditch this wool creation, but I'm going to have to be patient a bit longer. And I have no doubt you're correct - the fedora from Art will make me quickly forget these dull days with the wool lid. I've seen a lot of the pictures here of gentlemen "showing off" their new VS hats and I'm envious beyond belief.

Best,
Robert

jkingrph

Practically Family
I also am new. I have been lurking and learning for a while and enjoying the entertainment.

I have had a few western style hats for years, but this last summer started wearing a Tilley ventilated hat in Fedora style and liked it so well that I got a couple of Akubra Banajo Pattersons for casual wear.

They felt (no pun) so good I went ahead and ordered an AB Fedora and for next spring a classic Panama.

This is a great forum, with a lot of information and fun

Jeff

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Jeff! Great to see you've become one of us! That's G-R-E-A-T, (which is a little inside joke here at the Lounge). Information! We want...information! And fun, of course! We look forward to pictures of your AB Deluxe on you. Loungers are to pictures, as moths are to felt. Welcome!

dean

moustache

Practically Family
Welcome!!

DocBob345 said:
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm new here to the lounge and have been enjoying this incredible learning experience (as well as the fun).

I am going to order one of Art Fawcett's beautiful fedoras, and in the meantime have been stuck with my latest acquisition, a flimsy "Pendleton" wool fedora. My question - is there anything that can be done to stiffen/shape this hat?

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Best,
Robert

Welcome to the FL.ANd i have one of those Pendleton hats as well.I use it for the beach.That way if it gets blown off,i won't miss it too much :p

JD in Vancouver,Wa

DocBob345

Familiar Face
Thanks!

JD,

Thanks for the welcome, and it's nice to know I'm not the only fellow with a Pendleton. I must say, like you, I won't be too sorrowful to see it go, if indeed it ever does.

Best,
Robert

jkingrph

Practically Family
Thanks for the welcome. I know it shall be a bit of a wait for the AB but from what I hear should be worth it.

As for pictures, will have to play with that one, digital cameras computers and me do not do too well together.

I saw on another post where Steve aka Fedora, and some of the other vendors/craftsmen are withdrawing. I think they should be able to list their website/address in a subtle manner. That's small consideration for the information and expertise they convey.

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR