Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

okbrewer

New in Town
Hello all! I've been lurking here for a while, amazed and in awe of the collections of hats and the associated knowledge of styles and history. I thought I was on a solo mission of getting men to return to wearing good looking hats instead of ball caps! I glad to find others who appreciate new and vintage hats and aren't afraid to wear them! I started wearing dress hats a few years ago when I lucked into a close-out at a store and bought 5 hats. Since then I've added others that I've found at estate sales, vintage clothing stores, antique shops and online. My most recent purchase was a black Biltmore President. I also enjoy wearing bow ties. To quote Doctor Who, "Bow ties are cool!"

I live in Oklahoma City so cowboy hats are prevalent, but finding other styles can be a challenge. I'm an avid estate sale shopper, so I do find some there. I also collect... lotsa stuff! Mostly art, especially local artists. I am a home brewer and have been making beer for over 20 years. I also enjoy cooking, both indoors and out, and baking bread. I usually have a cigar to go with the beer and BBQ.

I look forward to participating and learning from you all!

Bob R in OKC

Hello all! I've been lurking here for a while, amazed and in awe of the collections of hats and the associated knowledge of styles and history. I thought I was on a solo mission of getting men to return to wearing good looking hats instead of ball caps! I glad to find others who appreciate new and vintage hats and aren't afraid to wear them! I started wearing dress hats a few years ago when I lucked into a close-out at a store and bought 5 hats. Since then I've added others that I've found at estate sales, vintage clothing stores, antique shops and online. My most recent purchase was a black Biltmore President. I also enjoy wearing bow ties. To quote Doctor Who, "Bow ties are cool!"

I live in Oklahoma City so cowboy hats are prevalent, but finding other styles can be a challenge. I'm an avid estate sale shopper, so I do find some there. I also collect... lotsa stuff! Mostly art, especially local artists. I am a home brewer and have been making beer for over 20 years. I also enjoy cooking, both indoors and out, and baking bread. I usually have a cigar to go with the beer and BBQ.

I look forward to participating and learning from you all!

Bob R in OKC
Welcome to the Lounge Bob.
While in OKC at end of Nov/first of Dec, I noticed Shorty had a couple of fedora styles displayed at her booth at the Fairgrounds.
I didn't see many when I dropped by the hat shop in Stockyard City.
She's done some repair work on a couple of my Open Roads...

Farley

New in Town
Hi everyone. I'm from mid-Michigan, just a poor college student. Right now I only have a single hat, a Knox Twenty, and an assortment or not quite vintage clothes. I'm working to build a stronger wardrobe.

Here's me and my Knox in a slightly unflattering picture. I wasn't completely aware I was getting my photo taken.
580162_4812077705614_1594952263_n.jpg

Farley

New in Town
Thanks Randooch. I got the hat from a teacher of mine, he bought it and it was too small for him, but fit me, so I bought it from him. He's a member here but I can't remember his username. He's the one that turned me on to this site.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Eduardo, ZAZ, Bob, Farley-- welcome!

Farley, I think that's a great photo of you and the knox-- almost filmlike. Hope you guys enjoy it around here.

Ninly, another music theory buff will be welcome in this wonderful, whimsical world where there awaits a wealth of knowledge and lots of passing the time! We'll have to shoot some set theory back and forth sometime (0157 has always been a favorite of mine). :) I digress. I hope you'll find this place to be a gold mine of creative and informative folk, as I have.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Hi everyone. I'm from mid-Michigan, just a poor college student. Right now I only have a single hat, a Knox Twenty, and an assortment or not quite vintage clothes. I'm working to build a stronger wardrobe.

Here's me and my Knox in a slightly unflattering picture. I wasn't completely aware I was getting my photo taken.
580162_4812077705614_1594952263_n.jpg
some of the best pictures are a result of "not being completely aware" - wouldn't worry--looks good. I've pretty much gone threw life "not completely aware"

okbrewer, you are almost a neighbor. I am surprised at how many "friends of the fedora" Oklahoma has considering our cow lot reputation.

mark9765

New in Town
Hey all from Alabama. I have been wearing brim hats for a couple of years due to some skin cancer on my face. I finally bought my first "real hat" last spring, a Stetson Carson. I have since realized it is to hot for summer so I just ordered my first Panama from Panamahatsdirect. Since I couldn't try it on I decided to go cheap and get a Montecriste fino that was discounted due to some brown straws. After I wear it a while then I will have a better idea of what I really want.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Not close enough to walk. actually Sallisaw area east of you but I do get that way every once in a while when the chiggers aren't to bad and the creeks aren't high.

Luscombe

New in Town
This is my first post here.
Located in the Atlanta area. This forum has inspired me to get out my hats and wear them like my father used to.
When we lived in Michigan and Wisconsin, I wore hats, mostly stocking style.
Since moving to Atlanta 9 years ago the fare has been mostly baseball, which I hate, Tilleys while fishing and a Panama when it is raining.

I recall always seeing my father wear a felt fedora when I was growing up. I always liked it and wanted the few he had when he passed in 1990 but they were too small. Wished I would have kept them anyway.

I will try to upload a couple of photos as I am seeking some advice on a fedora.
I currently have a Dorfman SCALA and a Pendelton Fur Felt and I have taken photos of them on me. I would like to get some idea of what you think would be a good next Fedora that would wear well on my features. I have my eye on a Akubra Hampton for more informal or maybe a Borsalino Art 390260 in black for more formal.

I am not sure how to upload photos, can't seem to get the board to accept them even though they are 100kb in size.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge, Luscombe!

Here, you can find loads of information! To upload photos, you can try:
www.photobucket.com
http://imageshack.us/

The photo-uploader I use:
http://www.servimg.com/

For hats, what dimensions do you think look best on you? Stingy brims, wide brims, tall crowns, short crowns, etc. Pending on what your head size is, I would also look into maybe pulling the trigger on some vintage fedoras ;)

Again, welcome to the Lounge!!

Luscombe

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome.
I am trying to upload from my computer but after going through the steps, I get a little red circle with an exclamation symbol to the right of the photo upload and it says invalid.
I have the photos out on Photobucket but when I try the URL copy and paste it says invalid URL.
dunno

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My advice to a newcomer on buying fedoras is to look at the websites, pick out a good one in your price range, buy it and see how it goes. It's better to think of buying a series of hats over time, and allowing your notions of what hat is good for you to change, than to get all wrapped up in "the one" hat. You probably will want different styles and colors anyway. Having bought many, I think of "hats" instead of "a hat."

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Thanks for the welcome.
I am trying to upload from my computer but after going through the steps, I get a little red circle with an exclamation symbol to the right of the photo upload and it says invalid.
I have the photos out on Photobucket but when I try the URL copy and paste it says invalid URL.
dunno

You need 15 posts before you can post pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda