Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

Dapper-Dan

New in Town
I think its about time I introduce myself since I've been around here for a little while. My names Dan, I'm from the great white north (Canada), and so far my only hat a cheap wool fedora, the one in my avatar. I hope to get a canadian made biltmore while I still can, I already missed out on their open road because I didnt know how hard it was to shape and customize it, and now theyre gone. After scouring this site for picures and info, I think I've decided on a biltmore ark. My other considerations were the rosellini and eleganza. My only concern is if the that would suit me because I can't get to any hat shop to try it on, because the only ones that I know of are either hours away in toronto, or the guy across the border in buffalo. I do have a passport but I'm not sure if I can drive there with my g2 license. If any of you have owned or seen these hats, I'd like to hear your opinion of them.

Last edited:

RoverHat

New in Town
A newbie from the UK!

Evening Gents,

I thought I'd just pop down an introduction to myself here, as I've been lurking for a while now.

I'm rather an oddball (so I'm told), 24 years old, and enjoy vintage clothing (or at least vintage styles) and hats. I'm a bit aficionado of the Bowler / Derby hat. This week I finally took the plunge and bought my first had. Now don't laugh, but it's a Jaxon wool-fur effort. It's a nice hat though, and will certainly get me used to wearing a Bowler.

I have spent an inordinate amount of time researching the Bowler hat - especially on this forum which seems to have an absolute wealth of information and indeed I've come across some very good blogs (I believe they're members here too).

My daily hat is a Stetson flat cap which I was bought as a present and I absolutely love. For day to day life it's absolutely perfect, and suits my lifestyle as it's easy to fold up when I'm not wearing it. As for the Bowlers, I will hopefully be adding to my collection soon with some brand new & also vintage hats. I'd love to own a Dunn & Co item - I think they look wonderful. As for brand new hats, I'm looking to add a Lock Bowler and also a Christy's as soon as I can.

Cheers!

tealseal

A-List Customer
I think its about time I introduce myself since I've been around here for a little while. My names Dan, I'm from the great white north (Canada), and so far my only hat a cheap wool fedora, the one in my avatar. I hope to get a canadian made biltmore while I still can, I already missed out on their open road because I didnt know how hard it was to shape and customize it, and now theyre gone. After scouring this site for picures and info, I think I've decided on a biltmore ark. My other considerations were the rosellini and eleganza. My only concern is if the that would suit me because I can't get to any hat shop to try it on, because the only ones that I know of are either hours away in toronto, or the guy across the border in buffalo. I do have a passport but I'm not sure if I can drive there with my g2 license. If any of you have owned or seen these hats, I'd like to hear your opinion of them.
Dapper-Dan,
Beware of the new Biltmores. I've heard that they are no longer made in Ontario. However, depending on your budget, I'm sure that Gary White in Buffalo will sort you out with a lid that you'll love, will fit well, and will weather almost anything.
A quick Google suggests that you may cross into the US with an Ontario G2 as a visitor, provided you have a passport. To be sure, I'd make a quick call to your local MTO because I'm sure they'd be able to tell you 100%; Ontarians cross into NY all the time, of course.

Welcome to the lounge.
-TS

Dapper-Dan

New in Town
I've already pulled the trigger and got my biltmore ark, and luckily it says made in canada on the liner and sweatband. Hats plus seems to have a lot of the ones that were made in Canada.
DSC_1683.jpg

I really wanted one because they're made in my home country and I heard their quality is amazing. I'll definitely go see Gary White some day though. Thanks for the advice.

ven

New in Town
Hey :D rather new in here, I joined as I inherited a hat from my grandfather and cant really find much about it. When I google things about it this site always seems to be at the top of the list lol. I have never been much of a hat collector, this is my first one ever lol, and and really lost in the hat world ;) so I am really hoping that someone on here can help me out lol. If not hopefully there will at least be some good conversation :D

EarthGBilly

New in Town
Greetings!

Long-time Lurker, sticking my head out to say hi.

My name is Billy and I hail from southeast Michigan. I've been wearing fedoras longer than I haven't been. Picked up my first in the mid-80's, and I've been a lost cause ever since.

Of course, over the years, the quality of the hats I own have certainly changed. At first, it was whatever my young self could find at the local department stores or at the county fair. I'm pretty sure I picked up a gray wicker-like (calling that thing "straw" would be insulting to the quality straw hats that are out there) fedora with a neon pink hat band at the fair one year.

Like a lot of folks, I fell into the trap of buying one of those leather hats from a tourist trap. Because, hey, a hat is supposed to make you sweat, right?

But, I grew more mature, and have learned to appreciate the fact that quality is something that you have to pay a little more for.

Recently, I broke out my spring/summer hats. Over there in my avatar is one of my two Stetson Andover Fedoras. Great hats for warmer weather (unlike the previously mentioned leather monstrosity).

Anyway, just wanted to show myself, tell everyone how much I've enjoyed this site from the shadows, and I'll try not to drop out of sight!

falis

New in Town
Also been lurking a few months. Now, my Granddaddy worked in the Danbury hat factories, and so did two of my uncles. I have old black and white photos of him in a nice gray broad and high fedora. And pics of me and my brother at 4 and 3 with our own little stubbies on. Later bought one of those leather boogers in my 40's. Then no hat except a watch cap in the winter.

Couldn't find the watch cap back in Jan/Feb for a trip, so the wife says get yourself a hat, but not a watch cap! How about a cossack sez I? No, sez she: you'd look good in a fedora. And that was my downfall. First a Signes beaver, then anticipating the warm weather, a Signes Montecristo, and Saturday, an Art Fawcett VS "Honeyboy" out of my tax refund. I promised - that's the last hat this year, Honey! She mutters "too many episodes of Boardwalk Empire, if you ask me".

- Ed

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
G,Day

Fedora's, cowboy, akubra, Stetson - I love them all. Just started a collection and everyone I spoke to whispered to me 'check out the Lounge'. So I did ...
And I'm obsessed.. You guys have nailed it. Can't wait to join in, and learn. ...

triple-d

A-List Customer
Hello all. I live in Northwest, Ar. Been reading on the FL for a few months now. I currently own 20+ Fedoras, some modern, some vintage. Stetson, Biltmore, Knox,....the ususals.
I'd like to give a shout out to Grizzly Adams. I bought a hat off the bay....the only hat that was actually better than described when it arrived. I actually felt a little guilty for not paying the BIN price......so GA I owe you 20 bucks.....and thanks for all your other help.

I'm off to read the FL..........gotta be a thread on bow making in here somewhere...............

Dean

viktor77

New in Town
Hello, I'm Eric from Saginaw, MI. I'm 21 and quite anachronistically challenged so I'm taking to wearing hats, classic hats not baseball caps (I'm sure you've heard that a million times). I have a few fedoras, mostly felt and straw and some newsboys. I also have a 30s boater which I love. And don't worry, I'm not a hipster, but I am a lover of late Victorian America and Edwardian America.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Richard from Kent in the UK.

I love caps (mainly 8 piece), bowlers, boaters and am looking to expand my small hat collection. This place is a mine of information.

stevehnh

New in Town
Hey guys! I've been lurking the forum for a while and decided to finally jump in the conversation :)
I'm 28, and living in North Carolina. I started my hat buying adventures around 2007 with an Akubra Federation and worked my way up to an Adventurebilt. I was bit by the bug after that and decided that man really needs a hat for all occasions. I only own a few aside from the Adventurebilt, but I always have room for more.

Glad to be hanging with you all!

highway66blues

One of the Regulars
Hello Stevehnh, and ev'ryone else
I'm a former lurker too,1st posted in "your Influences" thread
I'm a Western Penna. country boy livin' in a small Western Penna. town.
Just a general laborer witha love for history. spent 15 yrs in Am. CW living history
& for the past few years have been gettin' lost in old country blues...listenin' to it,collectin'(only mp3)it and playin' it on my front or back porch.
Neat,NEAT stuff yinz all got goin' here...

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
Howdy!

Hi, I'm Pinhead, and I have too many hats.

::Hi, Pinhead::

I've lurked here for a long time. My friend offered me a hat once. It was just a small hat. I tried it and I liked it. Now, I have waaayyy too many hats. It's spiraling out of control. I have many felt hats, some custom, and an abundance of fur hats. Many of the fur ones came from small villages in Alaska. I like old Russian and US military hats. This forum has cost me money before.

Anyhoo... I bought this one at a Goodwill for $3. It's got a tag that says JCPenney and a United Hatters, Cap & Millinery Workers union label.

Can anyone tell me what it's called, how old it is and how the crown should be shaped? The crown slopes rearward. The top was all crushed when I bought it. I got it wet and this is the shape it wanted to "pop" back into. It's very hard, thick felt. It came with a severely busted up feather that I will put back in the band.

168x168

168x168

168x168

168x168

Thanks for your help. It's my new favorite. Until I get my next new favorite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points