Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

Ranbro

New in Town
Howdy Gents,

I'm new to the forum but not to hat wearing. Having spent my early childhood through the late 50's and 60's in eastern NM and west TX, I always wore some type of hat. It was most often some cheap western straw because my early heroes were usually some TV or movie cowboy or otherwise some type of hat or helmet for athletics.

As I entered junior high in the early 70's my hat wearing was limited to athletic hats and helmets except for a favorite fur western (I was in west TX after all).

The college years were a period of no head gear except for the twice weekly US Army headgear of black beret or fatigue ball cap as I went to school on an Army ROTC scholarship. Believe me, a black wool beret is not very effective or comfortable in the steaming heat or incessant rain found in New Orleans.

I then wore a variety of uniform headgear over the next 13 years of active duty around the globe. When I finally resigned my commission in the Washington, DC area and started my consulting career, my hat wearing slowed except for wearing an occasional ball cap while trying to golf.

Seven years ago my wife and I started volunteering at Washington's National Zoo and I started wearing outback and gambler style straws to provide a little shade during the summers and then I discovered the Lounge last year. Since then I have acquired Akruba's Tableland in brown-olive, Kiandra in sand, Campdraft in glen grey, Fed IV in tawny fawn, and recently a David Morgan Squatter in moonstone. I also recently purchased a toquilla straw Stetson OR and a beautiful parabuntal straw from Major Mike at Buckaroos.

Unfortunately I also purchased a so called custom from Beaver Brands that I have Mike basically remaking and a new era Stetson stratoliner. I hope the information and guidance found here on the lounge will keep me from repeating these two mistakes.

Happy hat wearing,

Randy

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Howdy Gents,

I'm new to the forum but not to hat wearing. Having spent my early childhood through the late 50's and 60's in eastern NM and west TX, I always wore some type of hat. It was most often some cheap western straw because my early heroes were usually some TV or movie cowboy or otherwise some type of hat or helmet for athletics.

As I entered junior high in the early 70's my hat wearing was limited to athletic hats and helmets except for a favorite fur western (I was in west TX after all).

The college years were a period of no head gear except for the twice weekly US Army headgear of black beret or fatigue ball cap as I went to school on an Army ROTC scholarship. Believe me, a black wool beret is not very effective or comfortable in the steaming heat or incessant rain found in New Orleans.

I then wore a variety of uniform headgear over the next 13 years of active duty around the globe. When I finally resigned my commission in the Washington, DC area and started my consulting career, my hat wearing slowed except for wearing an occasional ball cap while trying to golf.

Seven years ago my wife and I started volunteering at Washington's National Zoo and I started wearing outback and gambler style straws to provide a little shade during the summers and then I discovered the Lounge last year. Since then I have acquired Akruba's Tableland in brown-olive, Kiandra in sand, Campdraft in glen grey, Fed IV in tawny fawn, and recently a David Morgan Squatter in moonstone. I also recently purchased a toquilla straw Stetson OR and a beautiful parabuntal straw from Major Mike at Buckaroos.

Unfortunately I also purchased a so called custom from Beaver Brands that I have Mike basically remaking and a new era Stetson stratoliner. I hope the information and guidance found here on the lounge will keep me from repeating these two mistakes.

Happy hat wearing,

Randy

Well, you sure have a jump start on a collection of hats! Once bitten, the hat bug is hard to shake!

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Randy I bought my first hat since my teen years a year and a half ago and somehow I now have about fifteen hats. They breed like rabbits and beavers! Welcome to the lounge!

Ranbro

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome LoveMyHats2 and Rogera. They do indeed breed and I'm looking for a solution to stop them from it. However, I'm also beginning to plan for my first custom felt...oh the agony and ecstasy.

Rogera, where do you live in west Texas?

wyiauta

New in Town
Hello. Newby here. Great and informative forum, glad I found it. A little about me, I'm 68, retired from the ambulance business...dispatcher. I've never owned nor worn a fedora but have always admired them on old movie characters. I'm pretty sure it's about time I got one or two...one felt, one straw. The problem is that the selection seems bewildering. Can anyone point me in the right direction...brands, makers, etc? From what I've read so far, I'm kind of leaning towards: Borsalino Classic Fedora, Akubra Campdraft, or something made by Art Fawcett or Buckaroo Hats, but I'm open to any suggestions. If this is the wrong thread for this, please advise. Thanks in advance.

Wyiauta

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
You need to keep an eye on the what hat you are wearing thread and Look thru Art's thread and find what hat hit's the like button for you. Looks like you like the open road style which of coarse is quite popular style as it is a casual style. Spend time reading the forum and looking at the hats posted read the Sticky threads at the top of the forum to learn about the styles and what out why one would choose one hat over another.

Knobscobber

New in Town
Howdy came across yall searchin for info on a Martin Bros hat i just purchased for a small sum.I'll be Knobscobber on here,my grandpa always told me,ya caint get your knob scobbed if your wearin a good Knobscobber~I buy old beaters and reshape them,mostly cowboy old west style.

The name is Rick from Visalia,Ca. Nice to make your aquaintence :eek:

Felt4ever

New in Town
I to am new. I am very young and have a love for hats. the first I purchased was a 2 1/2 inch brim felt from cabelas, I found that a nice width. I also have the Bailey Nichols straw hat which is nice. I also purchased the bailey Pallisade, part of their wind river collection. That had a 3 1/2 inch brim which was too wide. What are some hats with a nice 2 1/2 inch brim (slight fluctuation) a good daily driver and a more formal black one to go with my suit for when I graduate.

job

One Too Many
Welcome to the lounge Felt4ever. Ebay can be a great place to find nice vintage hats. For a new hat in black a Akubra Bogart or the Stylemaster is a good choice.

Felt4ever

New in Town
thanks, what do you think would be a good hat for my daily spring fall and winter (early and late as we are cold in Canada)?

job

One Too Many
It's best to ask your questions in the "Ask a question, get an answer" thread. You will get more advise there as I don't believe as many loungers don't check here as often.

For me if its 75 to 80 degrees I go from straw to felt.

emigran

Practically Family
Hello all...
I am a neew member here and have only a few fedoras myself... and I really like the way this forum is set up and look forward to cheking in and reading all the interesting posts... thanks for the welcome...
Emil G.

backpacker416

Familiar Face
Hey guys and gals, Im Ross from Baton Rouge. Everytime I google something Im trying to find, I always wind up here. So I joined! Ive got a few hats, and most of my stuff is Safari in nature, from pith helmets to wide brimmed bush hats. Just snagged a Akubra of Ebay for $50. Thanks!

GrantN

New in Town
Hello there,

I joined the Fedora Lounge community a couple of days ago -- it's good to meet you all.

I first came across this forum last year while doing some research on Adventurebilt's Indiana Jones fedora (I'm sure that sounds familiar :)). Now I'm doing a bit more research - a jacket this time - and I thought I should join the community rather than just lurk.

My interest in the 30s/40s lifestyle started off with my involvement in WW2 reenactment. When I get a bee in my bonnet over something I tend to go all out, and the WW2 thing was no different. No sooner had I bought my uniform than I had to have all the other period accoutrements too, such as the safety razor, steel rimmed glasses, etc. So while I'm still involved with the military aspect of that period, I also find myself drawn to the civilian side. Next item I think will be a Bogart-style trenchcoat.

I'm not sure how many other forum members there are from darkest Africa (not too many I'll guess) but I look forward to getting to know you all.

Qvist

Familiar Face
I guess it´s time for me to introduce my self too. My name is Mikko and I live in the middle of Finland in a town called Raahe. I´m ~35 years old and living with my wife. I´m rather new to hats and I only own four fedoras and none of them is a good quality hat. But I realy like hats and wearing them but since Finland is not a hat country, we only have about 5 hat stores in whole country and hats are not to be found in flea markets either, it is not an easy task to find quality hats. And due to my biggish head I have not yet found good vintage hats in ebay either. I´m hoping to get educated on hats by this forum and looking forward to many interesting conversations :)

I hope You´ll tolerate my poor grammar since english is not my native language.

Mikko

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21