Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

StokerCat

New in Town
Hello all. My turn to be the new guy introducing myself. I'm relatively new to finer hats and this looks like the prime place to gain more knowledge from what appears to be fine folks. I've done some research and read a couple of threads but I always want to know as much as I can. So are there particular brands to avoid? I'm looking at an Eddy Bros. Gunfighter II tomorrow and I see Eddy are generally in the $50-60 range and that'a also about the same range I saw at a hat shop for straws. Is wool felt simply wool felt or are there varying degrees of quality on the bottom/mid-range hats?

Case in point: While at the local flea market last week I purchased a wool cowboy style hat that desperatley needed cleaning and shaping. Having a couple of others that I didn't want to ruin while experimenting on with what I've read about steam shaping and this one being all of $2, I took the deal. It has an embossed pleather sweatband that reads "INDIAN SCOUT" with no other markings but the size/material tag. The packing tape cleaning job and the steam shaping came out fairly well. It's good and stiff and I assume is a decent hat.

That said, I know I have a few decent hats by name brand companies (Bailey, Henschel, Stetson, Capas) but I don't want to turn down treasures or acquire junk because I don't know what to look or look out for.

THAT said, I knew when I saw the Head N' Home Honey Stoker hat at the store, I knew I was looking at a damn fine hat!

Thanks in advance!

StokerCat

New in Town
And as you can tell from my handle, that hat came home with me! Little hard on the wallet for something I can't wear everywhere but I'm thinking that probably happens a lot around here...;)

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Stokercat you want to stear clear of Wool felt hat's as they do not wear well long term. If you get caught out in the rain they will shrink and loose their shape. Read as much of the thread's in the Hat forum and watch and learn from those their what brand's to buy. Most new hat's are not of the quality of vintage unless you go with a Custom hat maker. Welcome to The Fedora lounge.

Lord Henry

New in Town
Stokercat you want to stear clear of Wool felt hat's as they do not wear well long term. If you get caught out in the rain they will shrink and loose their shape. Read as much of the thread's in the Hat forum and watch and learn from those their what brand's to buy. Most new hat's are not of the quality of vintage unless you go with a Custom hat maker. Welcome to The Fedora lounge.

Thank you, gentlemen!

I agree mostly. But, I'm new so my opinion may not have as much impact.

I prefer to look for the fur felts... quality is important... but appearance means a lot, too. If I saw a wool hat that I just loved the look of... I would buy it. I have 2 non-fur stetsons (both linen) and one Milani (cheap import no-name) canvas fedora. I love them all.... Buy what suits you, and if you can get it in higher quality, great... but if not... buy what suits you anyway.

Steve327

New in Town
Hi all,

My name is Steven, I recently became fascinated by hats and started collecting. The history, the craftsmanship, the style... I love it all. Oddly enough I attend Stetson University, a private college located in Florida where John B. Stetson was a major player in developing the area. As a young collector I am totally excited to find such an active community dedicated to hats. I look forward to learning more and expanding my collection.

zero.e

New in Town
Greetings.

I'm 22 years old guy from Finland. Even since I was a kid I took liking of a certain type of characters. Was it a movie, a TV series or a video game, I always somehow favored the same kind of person in every and each one of these: a gentleman. The way they presented themselves was somehow fascinating. As I grew older I began to understand that it was something I wanted to associate myself with. I had decent manners and I was smart enough to understand many things related to the way of a gentleman, since doing something without understanding the logic behind it is futile. Couple of years ago I started dressing as one, using mostly a suit as my casual wear. Now before we move any further I want you to understand that I have never used jeans. When I still attended upper secondary school I used hiking trousers, since I always walked from 3 to 6 kilometers to school and therefore I have no real sense of "casual". Back then (and even now) I think that clothing must be appropriate considering its use. So Using a suit as a "casual" clothing is quite normal for me.

However, using a suit as a casual wear isn't easy. This holds true especially in Finland. Here suits are used mostly in funerals and in business world. Finns actually despise a suit and I have heard many comments like "Going to a funeral, eh?!" and some people have even tried to insult me directly in a shopping mall. It's the easiest way to draw attention here, since business men are always missing something. They may have a tie and a suit, but they never seem to carry it with a comfort. their attitudes are missing dignity and because of that you can't really see them from the crowd. I, however, try to go for more classic look with pocket watch and cufflinks.

Well, my introduction seems to have gotten a little lengthy but I hope you don't mind. I'll look forward learning from you guys and correcting my etiquette flaws which I may still exercise.

Erich Johann

New in Town
Guess I should have introduced myself before posting in other threads, but oh well.

My interest in this site? Stumbled across it when searching for information on 1930s/40s suits. Then came back to it for information on hats more or less from the same period.

In general, I am a history buff by hobby and by trade. I like the said decades because of their (civilian) style; on the other hand, I am constantly marveled by the scope and effects of the historical events at the time, whether it be on the bigger world political picture or family history. (Though I am interested in many historical periods; I also have prior knowledge in "stitch counting" and "historical authenticity" ...)

Looking forward to fruitful discussions and interesting information.

Last edited:

TWJ

Familiar Face
Hello everyone, another new-guy around here.. As a younger guy convinced he was born in the wrong era, its nice to have a place to come and visit. I'm always adding to a high stack of western, fedora, and newsboy hats. Though be gentle, my hats don't live in a box, they like to go out on the town and see the country too.

smokepiper

New in Town
Hello all. after lurking for weeks I've decided to join up. As a follicley challenged individual, I've been wearing hats all my life. Caps, westerns, fedoras, baseball caps I've had them all. I've recently become more interested in the look of a fedora. My lurking has led me to the insatiable urge to buy hats.

I look forward to learning from and communicating with the members here.

D

Pacemaker

New in Town
Hey folks,

I've been lurking a while and signed up a month or so ago, but just got around to taking a photo of myself in my Biltmore Senator tonight. I've always been a fan of hats and vintage-style fashion in general; it's only as I approach 40 that I feel I'm finally ready to "own it." I look forward to getting to know y'all better. :)

craig
7941067266_c8a266164a.jpg

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Hello all,
Let me start off by introducing myself, my name is, as my username states, Jonny O or Jon or Jonny, depends on who you ask. I am 22 years old and am one of those guys who has always believed he was born in the wrong era. My love for all things vintage began at a young age when I was immersed in the firefighting field, my father has been one for almost 20 years and I have been one for just about 6 years now. I first started collecting vintage leather fire helmets (If anyone would like to see them, feel free to ask, I always love to show the collection off). I cant say there is a specific era I like but all things from the 1800s through the 1960/70s I'm a fan of. I cant say specifically when I began to love the look of fedoras, but I'm sure the family roots has something to do with it, I'm part of an all Italian family on my mothers side. I recently was watching a Stetson Playboy on eBay to compliment my three piece black & white pinstriped suit but literally lost it at the last second. As much as I would have loved to win that hat, I also wanted to buy local so I did some research and found a vintage store about 20 minutes from me. I went there the other day and picked up two fedoras, one was a Dobbs Fifth Avenue, which I heard of through eBay searches, and the other being a Melton. The Melton led me to finding this site, since I have never heard of Melton I did a quick Google search and got led to here. I will be posting photos of both hats because neither of them have names as to which type of hat they are in them and I would also like to date them as well.

Thanks for listening, or reading I should say, and I hope to get to know some of you guys.
-Jon

Sopwith Camel

New in Town
Hello all,

I thought I'd just say hi and introduce myself. I found this forum after taking an interest in Fedora style of hat.

Just a little about me ... I'm an academic, finishing up another graduate program and working and teaching at a couple of colleges in town.

I've always had a traditional/business sense of dress but I need to learn how a Fedora might augment that, and since I'm in my 40's, I find myself moving towards the "well kept vintage" look. Any advise will be appreciated.

Also ... my lovely wife says I look better in a flat cap than a Fedora. So could someone point to a good online retailer that has a selection of wool tweed flat caps? I'll get a Fedora for more dressier occasions. I live in the US South West and can't find a good flat cap anywhere.

As a newbie, I have more questions but that should do it for now ...

Best wishes to all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80