Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Involved With Film/Television Industry

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I'm interested in knowing who here is actually associated with the movie and television industry.

May you be a writer, director, cameraman, costumes, make-up, lighting, sound, catering, producer, or you just are interested in getting into this industry.

If you're a film maker, make yourselves present!

:)

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I'm not exactly in the film industry, but boy do I want to be in it. In animation, to be specific. I've done quite a bit of amateur stuff- About 6 in live action and 2 in limited animation, most of it heavily mangled by the ragtags involved. Only a few of those are watchable though.

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
I started out as a production designer right out of college, then segued into special effects, but I hated the direction it took (read author Robert Heinlein's comments on specialization and its relationship to the human condition if you wish to understand my thoughts on the subject).

So, now I'm back to my roots in art direction. Currently I'm designing a medieval-era ship for the the most legendary swashbuckler of them all (and having a hell of a good time of it!)

db5zx

Familiar Face
I'm not into film, but am into television. Currently, I am a producer for Germany's leading weekly science and technology magazine show and also just associate produced a documentary on the fall of the Berlin Wall that will air on the US Discovery Channel sometime in February or March. I also was assistant unit production manager for that project.

I'm not really into filmmaking that much, I prefer my little TV world where I am responsible for everything, from props to script to actors and editing. The over-specialization on movie sets is not particularly my world...

...Jens

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I know there's more here who are involved with the subject. Drop your reply and spread em'!

:p

I hope more loungers in this field enter. If you're into this industry, please do come in!

Astrobeej

New in Town
Hola!

I'm a filmmaker too. I'm in the last stages of production on my noir mystery "The Smiling Man". I've been posting here for a while, but I wish I'd found this place when I was in the pre-production phase! I've posted it in the "Moving Pictures" section too, but here is the first trailer for my flick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MlgJZZpUNQ

I've been working in the computer games industry for the last 15 years, but am trying to move into production design for film or stage now. The detective's office in my film is a full set, built from scratch including his desk.

Beej

"Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done"
- Ernie Kovacs

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Astrobeej said:
I'm a filmmaker too. I'm in the last stages of production on my noir mystery "The Smiling Man". I've been posting here for a while, but I wish I'd found this place when I was in the pre-production phase! I've posted it in the "Moving Pictures" section too, but here is the first trailer for my flick:

I've been working in the computer games industry for the last 15 years, but am trying to move into production design for film or stage now. The detective's office in my film is a full set, built from scratch including his desk.

Mr. Beej, you must provide your future footage in means of this other thread!

Fedora Loungers on Film

Great preview too!

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
I believe he picked up a couple of them there winged gold statues holding the spherical thingies, I do believe...

Indeed he has! Kindly excuse the lapse - I don't recall Mike's background having ever been mentioned or discussed while I've been a member of this forum. :)

Travis

Suspended
Astrobeej said:

Beej

"Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done"
- Ernie Kovacs

Stylistically entrancing. Definately want to see the finished product.

As for me, I did some extra work in a Gus Van Sant film once. I'm currently working on a screenplay for a project that I eventually want to put together on a low budget. It also is a film noir piece. I'd love to find some sort of work in the industry, but I just have no idea where one would start.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, for the last four years I've been involved with the red-headed stepchild of TV production, the TV shopping industry. I mainly just answer phones, but I also fill in in the control room, switching cameras and putting up graphics with a Chyron. We've recently acquired an Avid Deko 1000, and I hope to be working with it soon.

I'm reminded of the fellow shovelling elephant droppings at the circus, who when asked why he didn't find a different job, responded "What, and leave show business?" lol

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Tony in Tarzana said:
Well, for the last four years I've been involved with the red-headed stepchild of TV production, the TV shopping industry. I mainly just answer phones, but I also fill in in the control room, switching cameras and putting up graphics with a Chyron. We've recently acquired an Avid Deko 1000, and I hope to be working with it soon.

I'm reminded of the fellow shovelling elephant droppings at the circus, who when asked why he didn't find a different job, responded "What, and leave show business?" lol

:eek:fftopic: That's a different kind of business. I wonder if they ever had a Union for that, excuse my french but "c$#p". lol

"We of the Droppings Union to hereby go on strike for the reason it's just too stinky!"

Anyone else in the film/television industry or are seriously interested in getting involved?

Baggers

Practically Family
Actor primarily. For the last two or three years, the bulk of my work has been voicing English language dubs of Japanese anime. Whoever has the Independent Film Channel on their cable or dish lineup can hear my work right now on Friday nights in GunslingerGirl, Basilisk, and Samurai 7.

I'll also be appearing (very briefly) on Fox's Prison Break next Monday, playing a New Mexico State Trooper.

I'm also co-producing, costuming, and playing a couple of brief bits in a short film being prepared for submission to an upcoming reality show called On The Lot.

And for your FL montage mentioned in the other thread, if you can pull video off of a DVD, I played one of the mail clerks in Richard Linklater's The Newton Boys. Look for the guy in the light gray suit and panama hat in the train robbery sequence toward the end of the film.

Cheers!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I've worked in television news for 15 years. My "claim to fame" was I was the only reporter to witness the infamous "Pizza Bomber" victim explode as PA State Police waited for the bomb squad to arrive.

See more at: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166160,00.html

That story led to my participation in documentaries on the story aired on Fox News, The Learning Channel, BBC and a Japanese TV network.

Since '03, I teach at a college and faculty advise its student operated cable station. I still report one day a week so I can "practice what I teach."

BRS

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
Does exhibition count? I don't make 'em, but I show 'em!

I've also done a bit of freelance historical fact-checking/technical advising for projects that have yet to be made. Hopefully someday...

This could be considered being "involved".

Take one of the lounger's suggestions and make a carerr out of it! :)
I wish I had more coming to use your assistance, but sadly, not at this moment. :(

Your radio industry knowledge you've given me has surely helped!

And to Mr. Baggers, I will definitely look at that movie to spot you!

Anyone else involved with this subject matter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart