Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irish Fisherman's Sweater

Sonero

Practically Family
Can anyone tell me if 6 ply Shetland Wool is considered heavy duty ? From my research it seems to be right in the middle ground of thickness. True or False ?

Thanks

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Considering that the most heavy quality i took notice of so far is 10ply i would say, true.

Flanderian

Practically Family
Can anyone tell me if 6 ply Shetland Wool is considered heavy duty ? From my research it seems to be right in the middle ground of thickness. True or False ?

Thanks

I don't wish to evade your question, but I think the answer is somewhat both subjective and dependent. Dependent upon how it's made and where and how it is to be worn. And subjective as to what the wearer prefers.

The yarn may me thicker or thinner, the tension with which it's woven will vary, and both can dramatically affect the warmth offered and how durable it might be. But typically a 6 ply Shetland will be both very warm and durable compared to most sweaters. Likely too warm for most indoors, and suitable as outer layer clothing in fairly the colder season in many climates, subject to the wearer's preferences.

A cold, stormy winter night on the North Atlantic, not so much.

Sonero

Practically Family
Considering that the most heavy quality i took notice of so far is 10ply i would say, true.
Thanks but from what I see there is a huge difference between 6 and 10ply. The difference of sweaters ...to heavy blankets.

So you have owned a 10ply sweater before ? Would the thickness depend on what type of wool it is ? Shetland is known to be softer no ? So therefore 6ply shetland might be thinner than a rougher wool ?

Just so you know I am looking at an AERO roll down sweater. They mark it as heavy duty 6ply shetland wool. I want to verify HEAVY DUTY isn't marketing ploy.

Turnip

That Submariner i got is a 6ply (and is 630g at size XXL) so i would consider it to be medium rather than heavy duty so in a Minnesota Winter you might possibly need a jacket too.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I don't wish to evade your question, but I think the answer is somewhat both subjective and dependent. Dependent upon how it's made and where and how it is to be worn. And subjective as to what the wearer prefers.

The yarn may me thicker or thinner, the tension with which it's woven will vary, and both can dramatically affect the warmth offered and how durable it might be. But typically a 6 ply Shetland will be both very warm and durable compared to most sweaters. Likely too warm for most indoors, and suitable as outer layer clothing in fairly the colder season in many climates, subject to the wearer's preferences.

A cold, stormy winter night on the North Atlantic, not so much.

Very much agree with this and welcome to the site. After our recent heatwave, a cold, stormy night on the North Atlantic wearing one of my fishermen’s sweaters sounds absolutely wonderful!

Turnip

XXL-Submariner-Data:
Weight: 630g
Pit to pit width: 595mm
Back length from collar seam: 665mm
Sleeve length from pit: 470mm

Turnip

Been downtown today and caught a nice Joop Merino Jumper from summer sale for just 47,- bucks...:)

JOOP-Pullover-Davide-30022925,001-von-Joop-Schwarz-Groesse-L-M-S-XL-XXL-1727808579.jpg

Cheers

Turnip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana