Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irish Fisherman's Sweater

Sonero

Practically Family
Yesterday I ordered the Schott sweater you liked but in the Navy and not the grey that they aren't making any more.
Excellent. They have a great deal on their ivory colored cable knit sweater maybe two photos to the left of it $50. As steal of a deal. The other day I ordered one of their new wool CPO shirts to make up for not having my size in a grey cable knit :)
SW1816_OWH_FRT1.jpg
7810_GRY_FRT2.jpg

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
:)

I grabbed a Donegal Merino sweater for 65,- pounds some time ago.

72658482337a4e04_Fleck-brown-Merino-front-500.jpg

Makeover of fall season wardrobe is almost completed.

Cheers

Turnip[/QUOTE]
I really like this one. Where did you get it?!

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is this yours or a photo taken from the website. If it’s yours could you give it a brief review. I like it and might add it to my sweater collection!

These are my pix, I will make a little review within this week, promised.

:)

I grabbed a Donegal Merino sweater for 65,- pounds some time ago.

72658482337a4e04_Fleck-brown-Merino-front-500.jpg

Makeover of fall season wardrobe is almost completed.

Cheers

Turnip
I really like this one. Where did you get it?!

This pic is from Aero and so is the sweater. If you like I can make a few live pix of this one as well once I write some words about the Submariner.

Cheers

Turnip

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
These are my pix, I will make a little review within this week, promised.

This pic is from Aero and so is the sweater. If you like I can make a few live pix of this one as well once I write some words about the Submariner.

Cheers

Turnip
Hi Turnip,
Thanks. I really look forward to the live pics of the Aero and the review of the Submariner.
Cheers,
Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I can vouch for the quality of a Submariner from Outdoor Knitwear. They are extremely well made. The Wooly Poolys with the suede and tweed patches not so much.

I have had a Submariner from Outdoor Knitwear’s predecessor company for about 20 years now - I bought it at Silverman’s, East London rather than direct from OKW. It’s ecru and I shall match it with the Navy version (which I did have but it reached the end of its life). I shall either get it from OKW or Aero: I liked the one that Turnip has!
OKW is my go-to for the standard Woolly Pully. I think the Highland versions are a bit Celtic Kitsch and not quite as good quality or value as the standard military sweater.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Maybe Paul&Shark might be worth a look.

Edith: The uniform sweaters I wore serving the German Navy about 30 years ago have already been specified to be produced from a 80/20 mix. These are still the standard Navy sweaters so should be available at the usual suspects for a small price tag.

Cheers

Turnip
Are the German Navy sweaters dark blue versions of the olive Bundeswehr sweater which is a tighter knit than our Woolly Pullies and has a pocket on the chest? I had one of those years ago when I was a student and used to wear it for an occasional change from the British Woolly Pullies!

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Are the German Navy sweaters dark blue versions of the olive Bundeswehr sweater which is a tighter knit than our Woolly Pullies and has a pocket on the chest? I had one of those years ago when I was a student and used to wear it for an occasional change from the British Woolly Pullies!

Yes they are, I have one of each. :)

Turnip

By the way, French Pea Coat arrived, it’s quite nice and I will keep it as an autumn jacket to replace my Berwick.
French sailors must be tiny men though. Picking my standard size it fits me like a made-to-measured but no way room enough around shoulders and arm to add a thick sweater or so.

On the other hand side we used to wear these in the Navy anyway with a Donald Duck shirt only, first or second fiddle.

So I’ll wear it with a shirt or thin jumper. Fabric and coat is quite heavy, what appears to make it pretty wind resistant and water repellent.

full

Cheers

Turnip

Last edited:

Turnip

Are the available in UK?
At this end you could order these at army shops you can find in almost any bigger city, and so through Mr.Bezo ´s platform.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Are the available in UK?
At this end you could order these at army shops you can find in almost any bigger city, and so through Mr.Bezo ´s platform.
Certainly they were available in the UK. As I said, I had the Army version when I was a student and probably bought it in an Army surplus store. I shall have to have a look as I am seriously interested in the Navy version.

Peacoat

Bartender
By the way, French Pea Coat arrived, it’s quite nice and I will keep it as an autumn jacket to replace my Berwick.
French sailors must be tiny men though. Picking my standard size it fits me like a made-to-measured but no way room enough around shoulders and arm to add a thick sweater or so.

On the other hand side we used to wear these in the Navy anyway with a Donald Duck shirt only, first or second fiddle.

So I’ll wear it with a shirt or thin jumper. Fabric and coat is quite heavy, what appears to make it pretty wind resistant and water repellent.

full

Cheers

Turnip
Is that a repro of an actual French peacoat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21