Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iron Man Inspired by Howard Hughes

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I admit, I'm pretty excited about the upcoming Iron Man movie. Wealthy, eccentric, billionaire, playboy, and inventor. Wait, that sounds familiar. I was reading an article on Yahoo today, "Just The Facts on Iron Man", and I came across an interesting tidbit.

"FACT THREE: 'The Aviator' Didn't Have Jetboots
Iron Man was created by Marvel Comics' mastermind Stan Lee in 1963. Lee based Stark's personality on Howard Hughes, who he called, "...an inventor, an adventurer, a multi-billionaire, a ladies' man and finally a nutcase." Like Hughes, Tony Stark made much of his fortune as a defense contractor. He even made Forbes Magazines' list of the 15 wealthiest fictional characters. Appropriately, scenes in the upcoming movie were filmed in the giant hangar where Hughes built his legendary "Spruce Goose.""

When I think about it I really do see the inspiration. I don't know how I feel about Stan Lee calling Hughes a "nutcase", but I guess it's true, sadly. I know we've got some folks here who are interested in Hughes and possibly Iron Man as well.

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
Interested in both... and am really looking forward to Robert Downey, Jr in this movie. Never heard that about Lee's inspiration before. Makes sense.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Iron Man

I was hoping this might have been set in 'the time' of Howard Hughes. For some reason I was getting it into my head that it was an adult version of the Iron Giant (the kiddies' story which was animated).

If it had been done as a Sky Captainish blend with Rocketeer within a real period of vintage history, then it would have pushed more buttons with me[huh] But the trailer, sadly...doesn't float my boat [huh]

Thanks for flagging that up as I had a look at the trailer and I'm sure I'm in the minority in 'not' being overly excited by it ;)

Edward

Bartender
Iron Man, like so many of his contemporaries, has always been set in the 'present day' - much like Bond, actually, he has always been constantly revised and updated. Having grown up with seeing the chracter from the 80s onwards, I remember being really quite shocked to read the very original stuff from the early sixties thorugh the senisibilities of today. I guess things have just moved on, but it was interesting to see an arms dealer protrayed as "the good guy," while the early depictions of "commies" would probably seem a bit over the top to Senator McCarthy. lol Very much of its time. I don't think I'd be all that interested in seeing a 1963-set Iron Man, somehow (I'm a little over-tired of the culture of sixties-worship my parents' generation have indulged in, to be honest). It would be very intersting indeed, though, to see something along the lines of what Paddy is getting at - a steampunk Iron Man. I'm really hoping someone at some point returns to the Sky Captain way of doing things - such a shame that film didn't get the attention it deserved.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
Does Ozzy Osbourne do the theme song?

(Hey, somebody had to say it)

Actually it's Black Sabbath with Ozzy;) and the trailers I've seen use that song; in a metalic voice, I... am... Iron... Man:cool:

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i think i'll watch Rocketeer at home the day this comes out in theatres :p b/c thats what i kept thinking throughout the preview...lol

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
looks awesome i can't wait to see it, however the part with crushing the cobra made me whimper. i always thought it would be cool to have iron mans suit hehe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner