Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRonheart M-51 thoughts on weather proofing

thatoreoguy

New in Town
Hey all a Vancouverite who now has 4 seasons to contend with ( Living in Ottawa). I have always wanted a Real Mccoys N1 and will get one eventually, but this jacket came across my desk and I think it's perfect for more seasons in Ottawa. I run pretty hot internal temperature-wise. I think this jacket would have me covered most of the other seasons. My concern is the weatherproofing. I go for walks regularly so the 3/4 length would be a plus, but it would be a bust if this thing can't handle some rain/ snow .. thoughts ?

other recommendations are welcomed but damnnn is this jacket nice.

I also own 0 ironheart at this time. Im usually a size L in most things with wide shoulders so me thinks the L

Last edited:

SilverKast

New in Town
I’d look for somewhere local to maybe try on some IH items as their sizes vary. Go by their measurements on their website as that’s usually quite accurate. I’m usually a L or X-LARGE in most brands but with IH I’m a XXL in most of their coats and a XXXL in shirts.

I have the IH deck jacket and love it, works well when it’s cooler here in Calgary.

thatoreoguy

New in Town
I’d look for somewhere local to maybe try on some IH items as their sizes vary. Go by their measurements on their website as that’s usually quite accurate. I’m usually a L or X-LARGE in most brands but with IH I’m a XXL in most of their coats and a XXXL in shirts.

I have the IH deck jacket and love it, works well when it’s cooler here in Calgary.
closest stockist is uk or new orleans but appreciate the follow up. YEah most people have told me this specific jacket fits TTS I fnot a bit big but i feel you on teh japanese sizing.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I've spent some time in Ottawa in my college years. Big party town. You'll need the Goose or anything with down insulation. It's easily -30s with the wind chills. It's fairly dry when it's cold. So you don't have to worry about the wet like Vancouver. But you'd need a longer jacket/coat. It gets really cold there. They plug in their cars there.

thatoreoguy

New in Town
I've spent some time in Ottawa in my college years. Big party town. You'll need the Goose or anything with down insulation. It's easily -30s with the wind chills. It's fairly dry when it's cold. So you don't have to worry about the wet like Vancouver. But you'd need a longer jacket/coat. It gets really cold there. They plug in their cars there.
oh yep yep but the -20+ is usually only a few days here and there been here 3 years. I don't plug in my car but I'm really gentle with it lol.

Thoughts on the jacket weatherproofing ?

Peacoat

Bartender
Years ago I was taking a slow speed police course in the Detroit area. The last 2 days it was lightly snowing and sleeting. I went to a Walmart type store and got a can of waterproofing which I sprayed on the shoulders and back of the leather jacket. I stayed dry, and there was no residue on the jacket. It ought to work on your textile jacket.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you already own the jacket or are you just considering it? And do you mean the M-51 field jacket or the M-51 fishtail parka?

The M-51 parka can potentially work as 3-season jacket, if you have a removable liner. If the liner is stitched in, it won't be wearable outside the cold months. I'd put some caveats there, though.

I wouldn't personally get the Iron Heart version. IHUK strong armed IH Japan into controlling international distribution, so you pay about 100% or more markup on every single item, which is absurd. You can't order directly from Japan, without using a proxy, and if you order from any other Western stockist, it still goes through IHUK which takes its cut. So unless you're really keen on giving IHUK extra money for no reason, I'd advise against it.

Leaving that aside, the lining on IH items is targeted at British winters, which are like spring or autumn in North America. So you'll have a bulky coat that ends up requiring additional bulky leathers underneath.

Snow Peak makes some amazing layered fishtail parkas, which should be available once their winter collection is around. (Despite being a Japanese company, they target North America with a lot of the heavier duty stuff.)

Another strong option is the M-48 parka repro from Stonetail. The M-51 was made as a cheaper alternative to the M-48 because the latter was so expensive to produce. With the extremely weak pound right now, you'd get a particularly good deal from British companies like Stonetail.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
oh yep yep but the -20+ is usually only a few days here and there been here 3 years. I don't plug in my car but I'm really gentle with it lol.

Thoughts on the jacket weatherproofing ?
I just went to look at the IH M-51 coat and it says "weatherproof cotton whipcord shell outer". I don't know what that means. If it's weather resistant like Fjallraven or Canada Goose then it's enough for our messy winters. We really don't need water proof even those two messiest weeks. But rubber wellies is a must or any waterproof boots.
Just saw that the IH Deck jacket doing fine in Alberta. If it can work there it will work on the East Coast for sure. Calgary gets cold, very fast. Just thinking about it makes me shiver...
FWIW I just use some wax bar to rub on my winter jackets (shoulders and belly parts). Fjallraven sells the easy to use soap bar kinds but I think they are just regular candle wax.

SilverKast

New in Town
Actually I have the IH fishtail parka as well, it works not bad when it's really cold as it's good against the wind and blowing snow. It usually fits pretty big so it's best for layering with a sweater underneath. When we get the big snowstorms with -30 to -40C it can work ok, but I also use my Canada Goose parka if I just want a light shirt underneath.

We don't get a lot of rain or wet weather like the coasts, but we get a lot of snow and cold and I've worn these things all over here and in the mountains with no issues of getting cold. Ottawa isn't any colder really - it's pretty similar other than it's a little wetter so you'd be fine. We go there a lot too as my wife's family is from Carlton Place, although I still haven't done the canal thing during winter.

thatoreoguy

New in Town
the m
Do you already own the jacket or are you just considering it? And do you mean the M-51 field jacket or the M-51 fishtail parka?

The M-51 parka can potentially work as 3-season jacket, if you have a removable liner. If the liner is stitched in, it won't be wearable outside the cold months. I'd put some caveats there, though.

I wouldn't personally get the Iron Heart version. IHUK strong armed IH Japan into controlling international distribution, so you pay about 100% or more markup on every single item, which is absurd. You can't order directly from Japan, without using a proxy, and if you order from any other Western stockist, it still goes through IHUK which takes its cut. So unless you're really keen on giving IHUK extra money for no reason, I'd advise against it.

Leaving that aside, the lining on IH items is targeted at British winters, which are like spring or autumn in North America. So you'll have a bulky coat that ends up requiring additional bulky leathers underneath.

Snow Peak makes some amazing layered fishtail parkas, which should be available once their winter collection is around. (Despite being a Japanese company, they target North America with a lot of the heavier duty stuff.)

Another strong option is the M-48 parka repro from Stonetail. The M-51 was made as a cheaper alternative to the M-48 because the latter was so expensive to produce. With the extremely weak pound right now, you'd get a particularly good deal from British companies like Stonetail.

I did not own the jacket when posting. I ended up ordering this one so the fishtail (https://ironheart.shop-pro.jp/?pid=160738143)

I ordered direct from japan I used to live there so I have friends that bounce packages. With the exchange rate being in our favour it was really good.

I like snow peak but I have a big back and wide shoulders and hate going up so many size to get it to fit. Ends up looking boxy. I do love their products thou.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko