Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The colour of your WPG Irvin is very similar to several originals in my collection. The colours of originals varied from dark brown to chestnut.

aswatland

John Lever said:
That WPG Irvin looks very good for the price.

IMO the latest version is the most authentic repro Irvin available and at the most reasonable price too. As with all repro Irvins it is let down by the zips. It's a shame no one can reproduce Dot Zips. I guess the cost of making them is prohibitive.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Paddy and Pascal,

I usually take a 40'' or 42'' jacket so a 44'' sounds the go!

Cheers Smithy.

pascalf

New in Town
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Let us know how it went Smithy and I want so see some pics of you in it.
really great jacket.Just too bad it wasn't a really cold winter last year.

"Pascal"

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Irvin zips

aswatland said:
IMO the latest version is the most authentic repro Irvin available and at the most reasonable price too. As with all repro Irvins it is let down by the zips. It's a shame no one can reproduce Dot Zips. I guess the cost of making them is prohibitive.

Help is at hand WRT Lightning sleeve zips in the form of Harlen Glenn in Canada, who make the best repro Dennison smocks and therefore very accurate WW2-style Lightning zips. They are (at the moment) closed-end only and are on a slightly different colour tape to that used on most flying jackets, but it can be dyed and only a nerd would know the difference. They can therefore be adjusted ITO of length to make great sleeve zips - even the 'C' stoppers are correct. The HG puller will fit the ELC main zip, but you're still left with the rest of the RiRi that ELC uses. In any case, Lightning pullers are common enough.

I agree about the Dots. I have a few stamped Dot single trunnion WW2 tanks suit zips that I'm modifying to AM spec and I'm currently working on a way of repairing the alloy 'double trunnion' version (thanks to a guy on the RAF re-enactors' forum for showing me how to do this). I love 'making do and mending' like this, but a commercial alternative would be nice.

Alan
Alan

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Too big an Irvin...?

Jovan said:
I've been doing some searching on and off for one of these type of jackets. I found one at a thrift store once, but it was far too big. :eusa_doh:

Too small is a problem. Too BIG is not when talking about an Irvin IMHO. If you found one in a thrift/charity shop that was 'too big' at a decent price, then to have let it go, was fool hardy. I can hear you kick yourself and thrash yourself with a Nelsonian 'Cat O'Nine tails' as I type this! [huh]

Jovan

Suspended
It wasn't an AUTHENTIC Irvin as far as I can remember, just a sort of shearling lined leather jacket. It looked average in construction. I'm not kicking myself... if it was too big, that's that. I'm a 38.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Too small is a problem. Too BIG is not when talking about an Irvin IMHO.
[huh]

Just to add that original RAF sheepskin flying jackets tend to 'run big' ITO fitting allowance due to the fact that they were meant to be worn over a uniform, frock (jumper) and thick sheepskin trousers. If an orginal says, 'Breast 38 - 40' on the label it will easily fit a 42" over a tee shirt and perhaps a 44". Length is another matter, although there were a full ranges of sizes available. In my experience the 'odd' sizes (meaning big and long as often as short and small) are in the best condition.

A surplus shop called MishMash in Wellingborough used to have a beautiful IAC jacket on permanent display as a curiosity. It was the second best I have ever seen ITO condition and was HUGE. I seem to recall it measured 60" around the chest and when I tried it on the sleeves almost came down to my knees (I'm around 6 feet).

Alan

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
pascalf said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Let us know how it went Smithy and I want so see some pics of you in it.
really great jacket.Just too bad it wasn't a really cold winter last year.

"Pascal"

Yup I'll post pics when I get it. It's going to be perfect for the Norwegian winter so I should get a lot of use out of the jacket. Still waiting to hear back from Gary - maybe he's on holiday at the mo?

Edward

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
Tell me about it, Alan. I've tried on a few of these things and i consistently get lost in them.

bk

p.s. there is a complete WWII USAF flying suit in a store on Brick Lane (well, Cheshire Street) if anyone is desperate.

Is that Beyond Retro?

Edward

Bartender
aswatland said:
I have just added this very nice RAF Coastal Command Irvin to my collection. It cost less than half the price of a ELC Irvin. The main zip is a replacement and I will replace it with a DOT or a Lightning in due course. The sleeve zips are DoT, with the AM and Crown. I would date the jacket to late 1940 and the sheepskin is exceptionally fine. The hood was covered with black polish and I have managed to get most of it off! It was possibly made by D.G.L? Any views much appreciated.

coastal1.jpg

coastal2.jpg

coastal3.jpg

coastal4.jpg

coastal5.jpg

coastal6.jpg

Stupid question time: when you say hood, you mean hood as in a head covering (looksl ike it in the photos)? I have to admit, I've never handled an Irvin in the flesh so to speak - this is new information to me! Is that a major difference with the US B2/B3 - they don't have these hoods, do they?

aswatland

Only those Irvins issued to RAF Coastal Command and the Fleet Air Arm had yellow hoods. These were for visibility if the airman was in the sea. They fold back to form a bulky collar.

Edward

Bartender
aswatland said:
Only those Irvins issued to RAF Coastal Command and the Fleet Air Arm had yellow hoods. These were for visibility if the airman was in the sea. They fold back to form a bulky collar.

Ah, I wondered! Thanks. Never seen one of those before (probably not been reproduced?). Interesting - I could see one of those being very practical in a cold climate, though for civilian wear I'd probably compromise on authenticity in favour of gonig without the yellow on the hood. Looks really snug!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Edward said:
Ah, I wondered! Thanks. Never seen one of those before (probably not been reproduced?). <Snip>

Edward,

The Cockpit Clothing Co. of Southampton (not to be confused with Jeff and Jackie Clyman's operation in the US) used to make a (rather poor) repro. Originals are common but many have been 'cut and shut' to make an ordinary collar. IMO this ruins a perfectly good jacket that has its own place in history.

Alan

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Aswatland, did you purchase your new CC Irvin from somebody at the RAF re-enactors forum? Just asking as it looks very similar to one which was on there 2 or 3 years ago.

You have such a fantastic collection, although I must say I have a real soft spot for your '36!

aswatland

Smithy said:
Aswatland, did you purchase your new CC Irvin from somebody at the RAF re-enactors forum? Just asking as it looks very similar to one which was on there 2 or 3 years ago.

You have such a fantastic collection, although I must say I have a real soft spot for your '36!

I bought the CC Irvin from a private Ebay seller in Birmingham.

Edward

Bartender
Alan Eardley said:
Edward,

The Cockpit Clothing Co. of Southampton (not to be confused with Jeff and Jackie Clyman's operation in the US) used to make a (rather poor) repro. Originals are common but many have been 'cut and shut' to make an ordinary collar. IMO this ruins a perfectly good jacket that has its own place in history.

Alan

I'd agree with you.... it seems to me a shame that something different like this which must have been produced in low numbers would be hacked about to turn it into something there are lots of already...

I remember at the height of the Britpop thang that ape Liam Gallagher wore a brown sheepskin a lot, one that looked a lot like an Irvin but had a hood. I wonder now was it based on one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner