Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
thank you

thank you very much kampkatz.it's too warm at the moment,as we are having an indian summer here in the uk,about 18 - 20 degrees in the day.i am sure i will slip them on when it gets colder:) we irvin nuts,must be the only people in the history of planet earth,who look forward to ice cold weatherlol :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
NOW you need to accessorise the suit...

...with an open topped pre-war two seater sportscar!! Wonderful Autumnal driving weather in Blightey right now. Can you just imagine in the Irvin Suit, sitting in that car, your arse is almost scraping the road surface and you are whizzing around the high hedged lanes of Devon and Cornwall, or through the most amazing passes in the Lake District or scooting up the West Coast of Scotland:eusa_clap

Do you really know what tomorrow might bring?? so live for TODAY and go treat yourself to that baby!!;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
...with an open topped pre-war two seater sportscar!! Wonderful Autumnal driving weather in Blightey right now. Can you just imagine in the Irvin Suit, sitting in that car, your arse is almost scraping the road surface and you are whizzing around the high hedged lanes of Devon and Cornwall, or through the most amazing passes in the Lake District or scooting up the West Coast of Scotland:eusa_clap

Do you really know what tomorrow might bring?? so live for TODAY and go treat yourself to that baby!!;)

Never a truer word spoken Paddy. A two seat roadster is something everyone should own once in their lives! Having had to sell ours before the big move, I'm missing it so much I'm thinking it might be time to have to splash out on another. Well, it goes with the Irvin old boy! That's a good enough reason surely...

Mike1973

A-List Customer
PADDY said:

Did anyone else watch Great British Journeys with Nick Crane the other night on BBC2? Retracing H V Mortons route through Scotland in an open top bull nosed Morris? Absolutley fantastic, great scenery, great car :eusa_clap After watching it I now believe open top touring is the ONLY way to travel lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/greatbritishjourneys/journey/hv-morton/index.shtml

Mike1973

A-List Customer
PADDY said:
You do realise you have 'that' off duty fighter pilot look about you in your old beat up BSA Irvin jacket!!! and you wear it 'far too well!!;) '

I just love that old jacket of yours, 'warts 'n' all!!' If that hasn't got character, then I don't know what has.:eusa_clap

You are too kind Sir...:eek:

But just goes to prove, it's difficult to kill an old Irvin :eusa_clap

Speedster

Practically Family
Not a pre-war roadster but a post-war Speedster (open-top nonetheless):

Rene_Speedster-1.jpg

Me, my Irvin (Aviation Leathercraft) and our replica Porsche Speedster. With an Irvin open top motoring is the way to travel.

I stil have the Irvin, but the Speedster is long gone to another home. Instead i now have two sons.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic pic Speedster, and the only way to travel. You'll be like me and hankering after another open top now that you don't have her.

I really don't think I could go back to "sensible" motorcars and my fiancée's the same, but then we don't have kids yet ;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Søren, it's George Barclay from the cover of the book of his diaries (one of the best memoirs from the BoB by the way).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
There was me thinking, "Gad! Smithy's Eastman is breaking in so nicely there!!;) ).

lol

PADDY said:
BTW...what comments on that BoB Eastman have you been getting then?

I've actually had quite a few Paddy and that's in Norway where people tend to respect other people's privacy. The odd passerby has come up to me and said what a beautiful jacket it is and where did I get it from. One particular chap obviously knew a little about Irvins and said he thought it looked like the best preserved original Irvin he had seen! But it's the women, both young and old, who really seem to go a bit ga-ga about it, my fiancée included. If that's not the best recommendation I could give for an Eastman Irvin I don't know what is! :D

Speedster

Practically Family
Smithy said:
Fantastic pic Speedster, and the only way to travel. You'll be like me and hankering after another open top now that you don't have her.

I really don't think I could go back to "sensible" motorcars and my fiancée's the same, but then we don't have kids yet ;)

Thanks Smithy. Bought it seven years ago. On the day we took delivery of it we found out that my wife was pregnant with our first one. So it's days in the family was doomed from the start. We kept her for 3 years though. Now we drive a Volkswagen Polo :(

I've been hankering after another open top car every day since, but now it has to accomodate 4 of us. Luckily my wife feels the same :) but the timing (money) has not been right so far.

Speedster

Practically Family
Smithy said:
But it's the women, both young and old, who really seem to go a bit ga-ga about it, my fiancée included. If that's not the best recommendation I could give for an Eastman Irvin I don't know what is! :D

That's it... I'm moving to Norway...

Never experienced this here in Denmark :(

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
lovely idea

PADDY said:

Yes Paddy,i can imagine myself in an open top vintage car now,whizzing along the hedgerows and lanes around devon,cornwall,scotland,and the birmingham and stratford upon avon areas especially.All those quaint little villages,just ooze spitfires and bombers around birmingham,as Castle Bromwich,the spitfire and lancaster bomber factory was based in birmingham.Castle Bromwich was just one of many factories that made the spitfire,lancaster bomber and a few other planes during the war.The lancaster was mostly made around manchester,but castle bromwich made a good few aswell.
Here's a site with a great aerial view of the factory,and a wonderful picture of the female workers and their work clothes.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=86855&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=10468

I hope the link works.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
I saw it

Mike1973 said:
Did anyone else watch Great British Journeys with Nick Crane the other night on BBC2? Retracing H V Mortons route through Scotland in an open top bull nosed Morris? Absolutley fantastic, great scenery, great car :eusa_clap After watching it I now believe open top touring is the ONLY way to travel lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/greatbritishjourneys/journey/hv-morton/index.shtml

I saw that programme mike.it was brilliant.I love the way Nick allows himself to be filmed,very late in the day,as the sky is murky and overcast.i thought it was really refreshing watching the episodes were he drives and walks around as the dark,broody sky,changes slowly between evening and night.I can see why Morton had a panic attack at the end,it was magnificent,dark and intimidating where Nick stopped.
That picture of your jacket looks great in public mike.I really hope mine looks as good as yours when it has been done up.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
blacklagoon said:
That picture of your jacket looks great in public mike.I really hope mine looks as good as yours when it has been done up.

I wouldn't call mine 'done up', more 'done in'! lol I decided it was too far gone to 'restore', so I'm just enjoing it 'as is'.
I'm really looking forward to seeing yours though :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy