Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
As we've been talking about Irvins and open top motoring, I thought I'd post this image as well. Certainly the chap's Irvin isn't the most authentic but I think you'll get the idea. The most British of jackets with one of the most British of motorcars, a perfect partnership for roaring along some country lanes!

brochure20.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another IRVIN!!!

I recently took possession of a rather nice four panel Irvin, which IMO dates to late 1940. It has the Crown and AM on the zip pulls, which was only stamped on zip pulls from this period onwards. The jacket is a size 5 and I love the almost copper coloured fleece. It has had very little wear.

001-4.jpg

002-6.jpg

003-6.jpg

008-3.jpg

006-4.jpg

aswatland

Comparing two Irvins

I have long been interested in the differences between the "house" features of different makers. Wareing and Co invariably used large collar rings, and wide belt loops for example. Links used rounded collars whilst Irvin Air Chute had squarer collars. Here are some pictures of my 1938 and 1940 Irvins. The 1938 jacket is the work of Irvin Air Chute. The 1940 jacket maybe Air Chute, but it has some features which are not normally associated with this maker.

010-3.jpg

1938 view of collar rings and construction of the leather loop.

004-3.jpg

1940 jacket has larger rings and a very different style of fixing the collar ring loop to the collar.

009-5.jpg

1938 Irvin's slider bucket is marked "Dot British" and has conventional sized rivet heads.

005-3.jpg

On the 1940 jacket the slider bucket is marked "Dot made in England" and it has over large rivet heads.

007-4.jpg

Notice the pattern of the 8 ventilation rings on the 1940 Ivin.

016-2.jpg

Now the 1938 Irvin

017-2.jpg

Buckle on the 1938 Irvin

018-3.jpg

And on the 1940 jacket.

020-2.jpg

Both jackets together, with the 1940 on top.

013-6.jpg

1938 Irvin.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic jackets, Andrew. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
And some great knowledge to all IRVIN nuts.
Only whish that my new IRVIN - planned to arrive end of this week or beginning of next - will be as nice as these.
Thanks for sharing.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That new acquisition looks great Andrew and dare I say it, one of the nicest you have in your ever expanding collection. Unbelievably good condition as well, quite a find.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Driving is the only time I get to wear an Irvin living here- I needed something to go with my vintage jackets...;)

P6290062-1.jpg

P6290081-1.jpg

1969 MGB MkII, I have owned her 10 years and two months...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Good job Windsock, I'm tempted to pick up an MGB here soonish. And yours being a '69 would be my choice they still have wires and they have OD as well.

But you've got Queensland plates man! Wearing an Irvin in Queensland, that has to be a first!

Edward

Bartender
Smithy said:
Good job Windsock, I'm tempted to pick up an MGB here soonish. And yours being a '69 would be my choice they still have wires and they have OD as well.

But you've got Queensland plates man! Wearing an Irvin in Queensland, that has to be a first!

Try and pick one up with the leather seats, too - IMO they are easier to look after than the vinyl. If memory serves, it was in 67 that leather seats went from being standard to an option. The standard then was, I believe, vinyl in the convertible and cloth in the GT fastback coupe.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic:

Thanks for the tip Edward, I've got a mate back home who had a '69 and when I mentioned to him a month or so ago in an email that I was thinking of a B he very kindly offered his old Haynes manual and a couple of other workshop manuals.

Strangely enough, although cars are generally expensive here in Norway, older British classics are surprisingly very, very good value here. And if you get a right hand drive the price drops even more to almost NZ levels (old British cars are reasonably cheap back home, even MGs). Strangely enough I'll be looking for a RHD one ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Andrew...I'm salivating right now, and not a pretty sight!!

WHY oh WHY do you tease me so....?[huh]

Those golden haired and red headed beauties of yours drive a man to distraction (yes gents, it's the Irvins we're talking about here!!;) ), they epitomise the golden age of flight and 'daring do' in my book.

Keep them well locked away, or I'll be coming for them!! (although I feel there's already a queue building up!!!).

FANTASTIC as EVER!!!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
aswatland said:
I recently took possession of a rather nice four panel Irvin, which IMO dates to late 1940. It has the Crown and AM on the zip pulls, which was only stamped on zip pulls from this period onwards. The jacket is a size 5 and I love the almost copper coloured fleece. It has had very little wear.

Nice jacket, Andrew. Which contractor, do you think? From what I can see in the photos (being influenced by the deep colour of the fleece, perhaps) I would say DGL.

Alan

Edward

Bartender
Smithy said:
:eek:fftopic:

Thanks for the tip Edward, I've got a mate back home who had a '69 and when I mentioned to him a month or so ago in an email that I was thinking of a B he very kindly offered his old Haynes manual and a couple of other workshop manuals.

Strangely enough, although cars are generally expensive here in Norway, older British classics are surprisingly very, very good value here. And if you get a right hand drive the price drops even more to almost NZ levels (old British cars are reasonably cheap back home, even MGs). Strangely enough I'll be looking for a RHD one ;)

RHD will obviously be cheaper as I imagine most folks want one oriented for the local roads; interesting that they're cheaper up there, though, than other cars. Maybe there's just not the market for classics up there. I should imagine a convertible is less prized due to the local climate, so that might explain the relatively lowr price of the MGB roadster at least. ;)

The B is a pretty good choice too - they're practical enough to be run regularly without modification (though conversion to running unleaded is cheap and worth doing), and popular enough that spares shortage will never be a problem. :) I always liked the curves of the 50s MGA, myself, but they are significantly more expensive: for the price of one wing for an A, you can have all four for a B. :eek:

Were I to actually run a car (living in central London i have no need of one, and probably couldn't afford it anyhow), I'd love to have something like the Morgan ahown above - most likely one of the better kit cars on grounds of cost!

aswatland

Alan Eardley said:
Nice jacket, Andrew. Which contractor, do you think? From what I can see in the photos (being influenced by the deep colour of the fleece, perhaps) I would say DGL.

Alan

Alan, It's not IAC unless they significantly changed their "house" features. Neither is it Wareings, so DGL is my guess too. You have a DGL jacket. Are there similar features, such as the collar ring strap contruction etc..?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
Just got news today: My pre-war IRVIN is in production and planned to leave Scotland thursday or friday....:D :D :D :D :D :D

Like a kid waiting for Christmas I bet :D

Like the avatar, "We either stand down or blow up, which do you want?"

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
...Thanks, Smithy. That was the last part. I was about to watch BoB again, just to get it right.
Well you can allways watch Battle of Britain - especially to make the time go faster till next week....;)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
aswatland said:
Alan, It's not IAC unless they significantly changed their "house" features. Neither is it Wareings, so DGL is my guess too. You have a DGL jacket. Are there similar features, such as the collar ring strap contruction etc..?

Andrew,

The features (apart from the fleece) are very similar. If I 'pose' my DGL in the same way as the jacket in your photos I see a strong similarity, particularly in the shape of the collar. However, DGL examples are rare and I haven't seen enough of them to say for certain that there are 'house style' features such as one sees with IAC and (particularly) The Wareings Co.

By the way, I have promised Paddy my DGL suit, so when he eventually takes delivery of it I'm sure he will be posting pictures of it.

Alan

aswatland

Alan, One of the two Irvin jackets on John Chapman's CD appears to be a mid war jacket made by DGL. It has the same collar strap construction. The other jacket is by Wareings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy