Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
incredible luck

Thank you Andrew.I think i have just experienced pure luck,especially after reading it may be a mid 30's irvin.I'm still in shock after reading that it could be a mid 30's irvin.I told my father about it,and what you said Andrew,about it possibly being mid 30's,and not only was he pleased,but he then told me my grandfather,Shem Williams,flew in Lancaster Bombers during the war,and he had an irvin suit.that is all i managed to get out of my dad at the time,except that my grandfather was invilided out of the R.A.F.I will have to get more info out of him.
The seller sent me a message,saying that he posted the jacket yesterday afternoon,from germany,and that i should get it in between 5 - 8 days.hopefully,the u.k postal strike will not interfere with it's arrival.when it arrives,i will post detailed photographs of it,and try and get good detail photo's of the zips,stitching and label etc,so you can have a good look.hopefully,it will have that little something,you have been looking for,to clarify any curiosity about the mid 30's irvins,like label info,zips etc.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
An original copy

What is the difference between IRVINS made by Aviation Leathercraft, Eastmann and Aero?
Which are most true to the original? And why is that? Or why not...?

The reason for this question jumps out of my resent experience with a beautifull Aero IRVIN - being too small!!!!:( :( :(
(If it wasn't me growing 5-6 inches in chest and waist in just two weeks! :rolleyes: )

The jacket went back to Aero, who claimed they could not make a 52" with extra length that fits me. Neither can Eastmann. So now there are only Aviation Leathercraft left.
But being who I am, I want a REAL Irvin. Or as close as possible at least...

From my old Aviation Leathercraft Irvin, I know they are very warm and rather bulky - but what else seperates them in original design from the real ones?

Edward

Bartender
Spitfire said:
From my old Aviation Leathercraft Irvin, I know they are very warm and rather bulky - but what else seperates them in original design from the real ones?

Are they the ones that are actually labelled "Irvin"? I've seen a few of those on eBay. Look nice, but if you want full authenticity, I've not yet seen one without handwarmer pockets.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Søren I believe the pattern and cut is slightly different, along with the colour and hardware.

I still believe that if you are unable to get an Aero, Eastman, or WPG in a size large enough, then how about getting an AL without pockets. It might not be an absolutely exact repro of a wartime Irvin but it'll be close and they are, I believe, well made and functional jackets. I know many open cockpit pilots use AL Irvins because they are so warm and functional and with enough of a nod to the original Irvins.

Far better to have a jacket that fits and is comfortable to wear than a more exact replica that doesn't fit!

I personally thought Speedster's beautifully worn in AL Irvin without pockets that he posted pics of in this thread looked like a lovely jacket.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Edward: Yep - that's the one.

Smithy: You are right, mate. Of course you are. But if you are a sucker for the original...:rolleyes:...I have seen that you can get the ALC without pockets. Only wish they were not so heavy and bulky....well, you can't have everything. By the way, never thought of WPG. Might check'em out. With the dollar and all...;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Apparently the WPG Irvins go up to size 50'' so it still might be a bit too small Søren.

Give AL a buzz and have a chinwag with them.

EDIT: AL also apparently offer a "lightweight" Irvin (less bulky fleece), however there's not many good pics of this version and what it looks like when worn.

Edward

Bartender
Spitfire said:
By the way, never thought of WPG. Might check'em out. With the dollar and all...;)

If you do, I'd be interested to hear how you get on. I'm tempted by one of those myself given how cheap they are - allowing for the currently weak dollar against the pound, they're significantly less than half the price of any of the UK replicators. They look close enough to do me just fine, though I'd just be worried they'd not be as hard wearing. Bearing in mind I like my leathers to feel thick and tough (formative experiences with bike leathers!). I have in the past sent back a couple of "fashion" leather jackets (that I presume were lamb) because they'd have torn the first time I caught them on something. I'd be too scared to wear something out if it was easily damaged.

Smithy said:
Far better to have a jacket that fits and is comfortable to wear than a more exact replica that doesn't fit!

Absolutely! Heh. I'm keeping an eye out on OFAS already for one of the AL jackets as I've seen a few go on there for fairly cheap. I'd rather not have the pockets, but at the same time as I'm not in a position where I want to spend the sort of moolah that the likes of an Aero or Eastman go for, I could live with the pockets if it cam cheap enough (they're a lot less obtrusive than on some Irvin-imitators I've seen, where there's an inch of wool trim round the pocket tops).

Rufus

Practically Family
Heya Ed... just check Ebay regularily.. you can pick up an original often for under £200..

:) ruf

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Rufus said:
Heya Ed... just check Ebay regularily.. you can pick up an original often for under £200..

The problem is Rufus that Spitfire is a big lad and after a 52'' Irvin. I'd imagine that originals in that size would, if not being incredibly rare, be virtually impossible to find.

But that's a great suggestion for those after more standard sizes.

Bet you'll be getting your B2 out soon Rufus. All ready for the winter!

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
Aviation Leathercraft 52' chest

I found this spitfire.It is a page with an Aviation Leathercraft irvin jacket for sale.They do make them in a mans size 52'' chest - UK size!!
You also have the choice of no pockets.it's a website called flightstore.co.uk.i will post you a direct link to the jacket advert.scroll down to the bottom of the page,to make your choice of chest size and no pocket options.they basically sell for £499.99

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/irvin_....5.item_id.2367.dept.102.dept_l2.0.dept_l3.0/

I really hope it's what you are looking for spitfire.chocks away,and good luck.

I've just found another site selling them for you:

http://www.belmog.com/irvin.html

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
blacklagoon said:
I found this spitfire.It is a page with an Aviation Leathercraft irvin jacket for sale.They do make them in a mans size 52'' chest - UK size!!
You also have the choice of no pockets.it's a website called flightstore.co.uk.i will post you a direct link to the jacket advert.scroll down to the bottom of the page,to make your choice of chest size and no pocket options.they basically sell for £499.99

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/irvin_....5.item_id.2367.dept.102.dept_l2.0.dept_l3.0/

I really hope it's what you are looking for spitfire.chocks away,and good luck.

I've just found another site selling them for you:

http://www.belmog.com/irvin.html

Mighty nice of you Blacklagoon. I allready have had talks with AL - and they are mighty positive and see no reason why I should not stroll around in the comming winter, nice and comfortable in a brand new IRVIN.

Actually I still got an old one (15 years old) of theirs - with two pockets!:eek: So I know they can make them my size. Even without pockets...;)

Thanks again, mate!

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
my pleasure spitfire

That is wonderful news spitfire.I am so pleased for you.:) I do know how you feel about the situation,as i am only 5 ' 2 ''.not ever having much money,i rely on ebay,and trying to get a lovely warm new irvin in my size is pretty difficult.they are usually always too big.I am very lucky in original irvin sizes though,as an original 36'' chest,has the leather inside, under the arms,where the top of the body connects to the armpit, worn away.that means,they fit perfectly,and don't dig sharply into my armpits.

Edward

Bartender
Rufus said:

Yeah, I've seen a fair few (though in need of a fair amount of restoration) going for the £180 mark recently. It might be an option, just.... silly, I know, but I'm afraid I'd be far too precious about it to actually wear it if I had an original, and given the very limited storage space I have, I realistically need to be able to wear it out and about to justify owning it. Still, if I end up (as seems likely at the minute) with a good B2 or B3 repro eventually, an original Irvin might be justifiable as I'd have the other jacket to wear when I didn't want to risk it.... [huh]

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward, Original Irvin jackets are usually far more robust than B3s or naval shearlings. When the weather is cold I wear some of my 6 Irvins in rotation, not the ones in mint or near mint condition. These are worn to the odd air show as I am very conscious about damaging them!

Speedster

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
What is the difference between IRVINS made by Aviation Leathercraft, Eastmann and Aero?
Which are most true to the original? And why is that? Or why not...?

The reason for this question jumps out of my resent experience with a beautifull Aero IRVIN - being too small!!!!:( :( :(
(If it wasn't me growing 5-6 inches in chest and waist in just two weeks! :rolleyes: )

The jacket went back to Aero, who claimed they could not make a 52" with extra length that fits me. Neither can Eastmann. So now there are only Aviation Leathercraft left.
But being who I am, I want a REAL Irvin. Or as close as possible at least...

Søren, i'm truly sorry that your new jacket did not fit. I thought that Aeroleather did the pre war Irwin in 52"? But was it because you wanted it longer than their standard?

You know the fit of the Aviation Leathercraft just as well as i do and some of the bulk will wear off with time (mine have so far taken 18 years), but i have never had the opportunity to compare their bulk with others. And then their is the obvious: the zippers and the buckle.

As Smithy says Aviation Leathercraft does make a "lightweight" version, but no good pictures of it. I have a feeling though that it might look somewhat like a Cirrus (fine sheepskin jacket, but not looking quite right).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Speedster said:
Søren, i'm truly sorry that your new jacket did not fit. I thought that Aeroleather did the pre war Irwin in 52"? But was it because you wanted it longer than their standard?

You know the fit of the Aviation Leathercraft just as well as i do and some of the bulk will wear off with time (mine have so far taken 18 years), but i have never had the opportunity to compare their bulk with others. And then their is the obvious: the zippers and the buckle.

As Smithy says Aviation Leathercraft does make a "lightweight" version, but no good pictures of it. I have a feeling though that it might look somewhat like a Cirrus (fine sheepskin jacket, but not looking quite right).

Speedster, I loved the pics of your AL Irvin which you posted awhile ago. She is beautifully worn in and has developed a wonderful patina to the leather. Superb jacket!

Speedster

Practically Family
Smithy said:
Speedster, I loved the pics of your AL Irvin which you posted awhile ago. She is beautifully worn in and has developed a wonderful patina to the leather. Superb jacket!

Thanks Smithy. Shall we swop jackets? :D

:eek:fftopic: I was in your part of the world on Wednesday, or at least half way up there. I was in Stavanger for some meetings.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Speedster said:
Thanks Smithy. Shall we swop jackets? :D

:eek:fftopic: I was in your part of the world on Wednesday, or at least half way up there. I was in Stavanger for some meetings.

Hey if you even make it up this far, let me know and I'll shout you a pint ;)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Speedster said:

You are right Speedster. Both about the AL jacket "bulking down" after some years. And also about the "lightweight jacket" looking a bid odd.
But I talked with AL about making a IRVIN in the lightweight material, in orde to get it less bulky. But then again, they told me, that the sheepskin they used 15-18 years ago was far heavier and thicker than the type they use now. So I guesse I will be ok with the ordinary IRVIN.

What went wrong with the Aero?
Well I gave them all the right measures they asked for - in inches and cm.
We decided on a 2" longer version on body and arms - no problem there.
But wen I got it, there was a 5-6" gap between the zipper. All the way - from top to bottom.
(Imagine gaining that much in only two weeks:rolleyes: :rolleyes: )
They did not do the prewar in 52" before I asked them - then they got it on their website as an option.

Well - I still got my ol' (twopocket:eusa_doh: ) IRVIN - so no need to cry. (Lucky I did not sell it though) And I am off to get a new model - no pockets - by AL one of these days.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
Well - I still got my ol' (twopocket:eusa_doh: ) IRVIN - so no need to cry. (Lucky I did not sell it though) And I am off to get a new model - no pockets - by AL one of these days.

Great to hear you're getting a new one Søren! If you wanted you could of course replace the zippers and pulls with more accurate ones on your upcoming new one.

Also, don't know whether it'd be possible, but perhaps you could source a "spare goggle strap" and have this attached to the back of the collar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy