Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Mike,

I totally understand your concerns over damaging an original Irvin.

Shame you’re letting this one go as it looks good on you, it’s a great fit.

I feel the same about my original pre war so I will wear it only very occasionally, that’s why I ordered a new repro so I can wear it with no worries especially as I have an active job and my jackets take a beating.

Funny thing is I like my new Aero so much I don’t want to damage it!!

Whatever you decide to do good luck and I am sure you will get a fair price for it.

James.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Cracking jacket Mike!

Shame you're selling it as like James says it's such a good fit on you. But I can understand your worries of wearing it for fear of damaging it. You'll get a good price I would imagine as it's in such lovely condition and your mate has taken some great photos.

Once again great Irvin!

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Irvin

Mike, don't sell your Irvin unless you really need to. The fact that you have these concerns shows it's in good hands. You could wear it just for special occasions! I only say this because I've always ended up regretting selling stuff.
I know exactly how you feel though - my less-good Irvin gets worn, the better
one stays in it's box - crazy really, when you consider what they probably went through. I wonder if the original owners would laugh at us? Good luck whatever you decide, E.E.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Thanks for the kind words chaps! It is a lovely jacket, and it fits a treat, just seems such an extravagence having a lot of dosh tied up in a jacket that rarely comes out...
I know, a jacket like this needs an easy retirement - the occasional airing on a nice winters day, a coat of Pecards every so often... I'd just rather invest my money in something I could get more use out of.
I've always fancied an A-2, maybe a beater I could restore - good leather but bad knits and lining. Not named or patched or painted so I don't feel guilty about wearing it... I'm not a big fella so not too hard to find. Or even the Holy Grail of repros, a Goodwear.... Both options big bucks, but something I'd get much more wear out of. I just need to free up the cash first...

Just like to add, Irvins are my still first love of course...;)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mike, I can understand your concerns about your Irvin. BTW it looks great on you, a perfect fit. Apart from my two very early 1930s Irvins, all the others i wear from time to time, albeit carefully. My robust 1940 DGL jacket is my daily wearer when it is cold, such as this morning when it was minus 1 at 7.30am.

You should not have much difficulty in buying an original A2 in your size, especially if you get a restoration-ready one! Good luck with the sale of the Irvin.

Aviakid

New in Town
DGL

Alan Eardley said:
D. Lewis was the original name of the company that produced much flying and motorcycle gear pre-war. The proprietor in WW2 (who wasn't D Lewis, BTW) was later joined by a partner name Godfrey Lewis. This much is fact. The theory is that Godfrey Lewis wanted to get into AM contracts in a way that didn't compromise the existing D Lewis 'brand', so a company was formed just to make 'Irvin' suits under contract. ' DGL (London) Ltd' (that's exactly what it says on the labels) is supposed to be short for D & G Lewis (London) Ltd.
Alan Eardley said:
There are some problems with this, but then there are with the 'Gamage' theory also.
Alan Eardley said:
Some people feel that DGL made the best suits, BTW. Their sheepskin is almost luxurious. It's an opinion.

Alan

Been digging for info on DGL at Companies House and they came up with two possibilities:
DGL London: (Company No. 173338) 1921 -?
and
DGL LTD: (Company No. 247799) 1929 -?

Both companies were dissolved before 1976 and this sadly means that all of their details have been destroyed. Companies House suggested trying the local library, however, I have no idea which local library to start with, almost certainly one could start in the East end of London, library by library.
I did recently learn that Godfrey Lewis was a member of the Isaacs family (some who changed their name to Lewis) which founded D Lewis Ltd, and didn't marry into the family after the war as I had originally understood, so the DGL could well be a company name including his initial as Alan previously surmised.
Any East end librarians on this thread?

aswatland

This is really interesting. I incline to the D. Lewis theory, especially with the firm's role in producing motorbike clothing. Wareings also was a pre-war maker of such gear and had an early contract(1935) for producing Irvins. The AM would have approached such firms to make Irvins as they had the experience and trained operatives to make flying jackets.

Edward

Bartender
Silvermans in London - www.silvermans.co.uk - have a CC Irvin for sale at present:

ST39732.JPG

36"-38" chest, they want £750 for it. Product 39732.

It's in the Militaria Collectibles section of the site. Looks to be in nice order, thought it seems expensive to me? Jackets in my size go for that kind of money, but that seems a lot for a small. The yellow of the hood seems especially well preserved - reminds me of the Summer of 88. ;)

aswatland

ethanedwards said:

Quite a few of these appear on Ebay each year. They tend to be made of lower grade materials, including in some cases vinyl for the seam tapes and collar back. This one has cowhide seam tapes and collar back. People often think they must be early because of the one piece back. However with the Clix main zip a post war date (ie. late 40s early 50s) is most likely and most probably civilian rather than RAF issue. Notice the buckle on the collar instead of the more familiar collar securing rings and the rather flimsy belt. These jackets rarely sell for more than £100, unless a couple of novices compete against each other! I for one will not be bidding and at £400 it is unlikely to sell.

Windsock

A-List Customer
I've never seen one in the flesh, always had concerns about their pedigree especially with that clunky zip and the vinyl, and from what Andrew says they sound pretty clumsy. The body of this one looks the part (may be inferior fleece) but the details are awful.

Interesting to see he's planning to list the uniform of Bull Staton soon...

dogrose

New in Town
Repairs

Hi,
I am new to Irvin Nuts. I have several original Irvins that are no where near as good as some of the good stuff seen and discussed on this forum and they need some TLC. Couple of simple questions: Can anyone say where I might obtain authentic main and sleeve zips and any suggestions as to the best place to go for repairs.
I am based in Bristol UK.
Many thanks
Dean

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars

aswatland

dogrose said:
Hi,
I am new to Irvin Nuts. I have several original Irvins that are no where near as good as some of the good stuff seen and discussed on this forum and they need some TLC. Couple of simple questions: Can anyone say where I might obtain authentic main and sleeve zips and any suggestions as to the best place to go for repairs.
I am based in Bristol UK.
Many thanks
Dean

Welcome to the forum Dean. You can't buy 100% authentic repro zips for Irvins. Sometimes Dot or Lightning zips appear on Ebay. I find the best source of main zips are either Irvin trousers(you will need to shorten them) or jackets in very poor condition. Aero Leather clothing have a good reputation for doing repairs to Irvins. They will replace the zips, but with modern ones, which look fine from a distance! If you can source original zips they will put them on too.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Zips

Hi Dean, I saw these on ebay today, any use? I don't know of this brand or how common it was. (I bought a Lightning NOS off Sefton clothing last year, that was for the puller only.) I have an Irvin that was repaired by Aero, I must agree with Andrew, it's a beautiful job - but that main zip is just not a replica. I think everyone would recommend Pecards too?!?!?!
Best of luck with your jackets -
E.E.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-WW2-RAF-Ir...oryZ4074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-WW2-RAF-Ir...oryZ4074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy