Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ethanedwards said:
Hi Dean, I saw these on ebay today, any use? I don't know of this brand or how common it was. (I bought a Lightning NOS off Sefton clothing last year, that was for the puller only.) I have an Irvin that was repaired by Aero, I must agree with Andrew, it's a beautiful job - but that main zip is just not a replica. I think everyone would recommend Pecards too?!?!?!
Best of luck with your jackets -
E.E.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-WW2-RAF-Ir...oryZ4074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-WW2-RAF-Ir...oryZ4074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I own a Flash Fastener sleeve zip with a 1943 date. Mine, like this one, is a pattern and has the black seam tape. It's a shame it does not have brown seam tape as it really would not be correct on an Irvin. I bought mine very cheap in the UK, from the same seller who sold the remaining zips to the Canadian Ebay seller. I will keep mine as a historical artefact, not to use. The Swift main zip could on the other hand be used on an Irvin.

dogrose

New in Town
Repair

Thanks to all. I believe Eastman leather use a reproduction slider box bucket. I will contact them to se if they will fit one as a repair.
Yes James the pic of Lelies Clisby is one of my favourites. Shame he died.

Regards
Dean

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Windsock's waistcoat

Never seen this before Andrew, very interesting! The old pipe tobacco smell sounds good - one of my jackets smells like a dead wet sheep. Does anyone know a safe and reliable way to sweeten up Irvin's? I once used ELC's leather treatment on it and found that made it worse. Grateful for any advice.....

fishmeok

Vendor
Just an FYI guys- because of my recent B-3 purchase I'm selling my first version WPG Irvin, just put an ad up in the classifieds.

Current content- was that AAF vest very popular? I don't remember seeing too many pics of it in use.
Cheers
Mark

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
JUST full-on Irvin jackets 'here' please.

The sheepskin waistcoat has now got a thread all of its own. I know how these things can take a life of their own when we all get enthusiastic, but I'm trying to keep each thread ON TARGET and clutter free. Just helps all of us when reading through on specific topics.

Thanks for understanding gents, and hope this editing helps! TTFN!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
The price of zips

Someone on OFAS just paid over 40 GBP for a very short (less than 20 inches) open-ended Dot single trunnion zip with slider bucket.

Sheesh! What's going on here?

Alan

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Alan - last year, I tried to win an original collar strap. It was in the US
and in very nice condition - I stopped bidding at about £20 I think,
it went up to around £45 eventually. It's probably only going to get
worse (or better, if you're doing the selling!) I wonder if I was bidding against a lounge member on this occasion?
In the end I asked Gary Eastman if he'd bring one to Duxford with him, and being a grand chap he did, so I settled on a copy for less than a tenner. C'est la guerre!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Silly prices! That's OFAS for you. Good for sellers, bad for buyers.

Stick to surplus stores and street markets. In the last couple of weeks I've picked up a very good reclaimed full length Dot single trunnion zip with stopper box and rivets for £20 and two Lightning sleeve zips for £10.

That's more like it!

Alan

ethanedwards said:
Alan - last year, I tried to win an original collar strap. It was in the US
and in very nice condition - I stopped bidding at about £20 I think,
it went up to around £45 eventually. It's probably only going to get
worse (or better, if you're doing the selling!) I wonder if I was bidding against a lounge member on this occasion?
In the end I asked Gary Eastman if he'd bring one to Duxford with him, and being a grand chap he did, so I settled on a copy for less than a tenner. C'est la guerre!

cherrypicker

New in Town
I was watching that Dot zipper too.Crazy price.
On a side note,I have a nice xl size Irvin,the only fault is that the male side of the zip has started to split where the cotton tape meets the metal reinforced section at the bottom.It still does up with care.Seems a shame to have to junk the whole side and replace it.Any ideas on a solution?

aswatland

cherrypicker said:
I was watching that Dot zipper too.Crazy price.
On a side note,I have a nice xl size Irvin,the only fault is that the male side of the zip has started to split where the cotton tape meets the metal reinforced section at the bottom.It still does up with care.Seems a shame to have to junk the whole side and replace it.Any ideas on a solution?

You are quite right about the crazy price for the Dot zip. It really is too short for most Irvins as a main zip. As regards separation on the male side i have tried sewing, gluing, but without lasting success.If the jacket is going to be used I tend to replace the entire zip, unless of course I have a matching male section. It usually only takes me a about half an hour to replace a main zip on the sewing machine. Pinning the zip in place takes the time.

cherrypicker

New in Town
aswatland said:
You are quite right about the crazy price for the Dot zip. It really is too short for most Irvins as a main zip. As regards separation on the male side i have tried sewing, gluing, but without lasting success.If the jacket is going to be used I tend to replace the entire zip, unless of course I have a matching male section. It usually only takes me a about half an hour to replace a main zip on the sewing machine. Pinning the zip in place takes the time.
Unfortunately I have neither a male side or full replacement.I suppose I am going to have to hold out for a damaged pair of trousers for something long enough.I may have a look through my vintage zip collection to see if I can find one with a matching tooth scale.I have had some success in lightly bleaching black tape on zips so that it goes brown.

aswatland

cherrypicker said:
Unfortunately I have neither a male side or full replacement.I suppose I am going to have to hold out for a damaged pair of trousers for something long enough.I may have a look through my vintage zip collection to see if I can find one with a matching tooth scale.I have had some success in lightly bleaching black tape on zips so that it goes brown.

There is currently a Lightning zip on Ebay.Although it is not the sort used when Irvins were made in the War, it was often used as a replacement for a Talon zip on a B3 and I seen it used on Irvins when the main zip breaks. If you email me via the forum i can give you details.

cherrypicker

New in Town
swatland said:
There is currently a Lightning zip on Ebay.Although it is not the sort not used when Irvin's were made in the War, it was often used as a replacement for a Talon zip on a B3 and I seen it used on Irvins when the main zip breaks. If you email me via the forum i can give you details.
Yeah,seen that one.I actually already have several of those but I think i may have something more suitable,like a doner male side,knocking about somewhere.I really want to keep the original puller,if at all possible.

cherrypicker

New in Town
aswatland said:
What sort of zip is it? A Dot or a Lightning?
Its a lightning,with the crows foot on the back.The bottom of the male side has a 1/2" square piece of folded pressed metal that fits into the puller.I may see if I can open that up and somehow incorporate a compatible zip track into it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"Feeding" Repro Irvins

I've had my ELC Irvin for around 7 months now and as she's seen the odd rain and snow shower, I am thinking it's about time for a leather dressing.

On my other leather jackets (and boots and shoes) I usually use RM Williams Saddle and Leather Dressing every half year or so and it does a wonderful job.

But before I break the tin out on my Eastman, I'm wondering what others use on their repros. Peckard's I know is a favourite for old originals but probably a tad OTT for a new repro. Just wondering if anyone has any other favourites which they swear by.

And Paddy, you've got an Eastman, what do you use, if you don't mind my asking?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
aswatland said:
What sort of zip is it? A Dot or a Lightning?

Andrew,

If its the one I think it is, it's a 50's - 60's chrome Lightning with bell-shaped puller and thumgrip stopper box. It's not like the model used on WW2 jackets.

Alan

Speedster

Practically Family
Smithy said:
I've had my ELC Irvin for around 7 months now and as she's seen the odd rain and snow shower, I am thinking it's about time for a leather dressing.

On my other leather jackets (and boots and shoes) I usually use RM Williams Saddle and Leather Dressing every half year or so and it does a wonderful job.

But before I break the tin out on my Eastman, I'm wondering what others use on their repros. Peckard's I know is a favourite for old originals but probably a tad OTT for a new repro. Just wondering if anyone has any other favourites which they swear by.

And Paddy, you've got an Eastman, what do you use, if you don't mind my asking?

:eek: I have had my Aviation Leathercraft IRVIN for 19 years now and have not treated it yet :eek: Guess i would also like to know what to use :eek:

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Feeding

Tim, I bought and used ELC's own leather food, but in my opinion it smelled
really quite bad. Not an organic sort of smell, but a very powerful furniture polish/chemical smell - and it stayed around for a long time. When I used
Pecards, it was virtually odourless. Sorry, not very useful to you but perhaps
something to consider? Good luck anyway.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
ethanedwards said:
Tim, I bought and used ELC's own leather food, but in my opinion it smelled
really quite bad. Not an organic sort of smell, but a very powerful furniture polish/chemical smell - and it stayed around for a long time. When I used
Pecards, it was virtually odourless. Sorry, not very useful to you but perhaps
something to consider? Good luck anyway.

Thanks Ethan for the heads up on the ELC leather food. I can't stand those chemical smelling treatments. The RM Williams offering has a pleasant natural smell and doesn't go rancid. Might have to stick with that then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy