Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Aero Irvin review

Hi all,

Weather just getting warmer here so I thought I would post more pictures of my Aero Irvin before I put it away until next year. Sort of a review really.

I would welcome any thoughts you may have on this jacket.

As mentioned before it’s a pre war pattern in their ‘Real Deal’ hide. So it’s not entirely authentic as the fleece is longer than my original pre war Irvin. I don’t think anyone makes a short pile pre-war pattern?

Also I had the collar made smaller for me which has worked out well as there is less to flap about when I’m riding my old Norton. (Aero are now offering the collar elastic)

I have worn the jacket quite a bit already and am very pleased with the sheepskin. As Will at Aero says it should look very authentic when it is a few years old and softens up some more.

The quality of the zips is good.

The overall cut of the jacket looks right to me and the construction seems very sturdy. The seam tapes are nice and thick too. Looking at the cuff edges the actual skin is quite thick also.

Here are the pictures:

Aero have been very helpful and easy to deal with.

James

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap looking good, James.
I also had my IRVIN in use today. It's still cold and wet enough over here. But the day for hanging it in the closet is getting closer:(

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Lovely Irvin James, and it's worn in beautifully.

Unfortunately Irvin weather is disappearing quickly now. I wore mine yesterday and two days last week but I'd bake in the thing today. Mind you I wore it everyday from September until the end of February so it's been well and truly worn in now.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Alas, sheepskin weather is drawing to a close, even here in Canada. I wore my Irvin open over a t-shirt today and I was baking. Im hoping for one more blast of winter, but chances are the closet will be the Irvins new home for the next 8 months. Oh well, time to break out the A-2!

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Heres a nice shot of my WPG Irvin with a pair of 1940 pattern boots I'm currently selling on ebay. I think this picture more accurately represents the colour of the WPG jacket. Other pictures with camera flashes make the hide look very red in colour.

meirvin015.jpg

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Seems to me WPG make a great jacket for the money.

Good news: the weather has turned cold again here in middle England.

Irvins need not be mothballed just yet! :D

Cheerio for now

James

Windsock

A-List Customer
jamespibworth@n said:
Hi all,

As mentioned before it’s a pre war pattern in their ‘Real Deal’ hide. So it’s not entirely authentic as the fleece is longer than my original pre war Irvin. I don’t think anyone makes a short pile pre-war pattern......

Also I had the collar made smaller for me which has worked out well as there is less to flap about when I’m riding my old Norton. (Aero are now offering the collar elastic) .................

Looking at the cuff edges the actual skin is quite thick also.............

James

Great look James, and that must be one warm jacket to wear, the fleece certainly is thick but probably perfect for riding a Norton (lucky bugger).

I can't imagine anyone would ever use the strap as it was intended, I have tried it in one of my originals and you only do it once in front of a mirror- alone.......lol

The cuffs and hem are the least appealing aspect for me in the ALC jacket whilst the rest looks great. I've never seen fleece half that size on any original, mine or Andrews, and i know they are old now and had a chance to moult a bit or wear down, but as the cuffs were added in using premium stuff, not from the lining of the jacket I suspect they were never that pronounced. If I had one i'd probably be thinking "Click go the shears boys click click click..."

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Windsock said:
"Click go the shears boys click click click..."

Andrew,

Only yesterday I said to my girlfriend that I was thinking of trimming the cuffs!!

Not only for aesthetics, but to make it easier to get my 1940s gauntlets on.

If I’m feeling brave I may do just do it.

Hope I don’t mess up an expensive jacket:eek:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
jamespibworth@n said:
I don’t think anyone makes a short pile pre-war pattern?

Hi James,

Eastman's 1940 Pattern is a relatively short pile is an early pattern.

Not that you probably want to go and spend more money on another Irvin ;)

Personally, I wouldn't trim the cuffs as you might be asking for trouble there. They should settle down quite a bit with wear, and in some ways it's nice to have a bit of length in the cuffs as that tends to be where Irvins wear down and lose fleece.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree. Leave the cuffs alone. They are about the same length as the cuff fleece on several of my originals. The problem is most originals have rather worn cuffs and people are often unaware what they were like when new.

Speedster

Practically Family
Definately. Leave the cuffs alone.

This is a couple of pictures of the bulkiest of the bulky, the Aviation Leathercraft IRVIN. I have had the jacket from new in 1989 and the fleece has been left alone and trimmed itselft overtime.

121_2113.jpg

121_2114.jpg

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
I shall leave the cuffs for now and see how they wear.

Will try some bigger gauntlets!!

Thanks for all your comments.

Speedster, your ALC is looks great, nothing better than a well worn Irvin.

The sun back out today so it’s on with an A2 anyway.

Cheerio for now

James

TheFedoraGuy

New in Town
My Irvin Jacket & first TFL post ever

Hi TFL members,

my first post reading this forum and being registerered for half a year or so :) I got myself an Irvin Replica just yesterday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thefedoraguy/2346898515/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thefedoraguy/2347727858/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thefedoraguy/2346898179/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thefedoraguy/2347727550/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thefedoraguy/2347727442/

Bought it in a german shop for vintage pilot's clothing. Hope you like it as much as I do, I was looking so long for a jacket like this one! And something like this is so hard to find over here.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Welcome to the forum, Fedora Guy. Your jacket appears to be in good condition. If you are not interested in an authentic repro and desire the convenience of pockets that is fine. To each his own. The purests would note that pockets are verboten IF you are interested in historical accuracy.
The important factor is that the jacket pleases you. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy