Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpio1972

New in Town
How would you repair your Irvin or B3 ?????

Hello,
I just discovered a small rip on my ALC Irvin and wanted to know from the experts how to proceed with my fix. I was first thinking of stitches but then again it would be to visible.
The rip is close to the armpit (right side) but on the pieces connecting the body and the sleeve (sorry no pictures available at this moment).
I heard that some people use glue and I was wondering which method is the best.
If you get a really big rip/hole, would you cover it with leather and glue it or stitch it on?

If I want .....let say cover the stitches a bit.....would it be recommended to spray paint the spot of the stitches in similar color of the leather??

As you can see, I have allot of questions and thoughts and some might sound crazy but hey....I have never repaird such a jacket before.

Regards,

Scorpio1972

Edward

Bartender
aswatland said:
I am glad to be proved wrong. Interesting jacket with some original hardware too. Now I wonder whether this jacket contains the original wires? It does not have the plugs, which are invariably cut off originals. So it's really not a complete electrically wired jacket, but nevertheless a unique repro, which sold for a lowish price.

It certainly did go for a low price compared to what I've seen on eBay! Does this reflect the relative values of original electrically wired jackets also? I had the impression that while rarer, the wired and cc Irvins don't tend to fetch the same prices as the 'regular' models, but I certainly don't hold myself out as an expert on that, simply what I've seen on eBay. [huh]

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
From what I have seen they do seem to go for less Edward.

What's hugely unusual is that this chap had this made up by Aero. It's the first time I have heard of anyone having a copy of an electrically wired one (minus wires ;) ) made up.

Nice jacket and truly unique.

Edward

Bartender
First I've ever heard of that too.... From the auction description it sounds like he had hold of the original it was based on, so perhaps that was a prized part of a collection or family heirloom and the replica was intended as a same-design jacket he could wear everyday without worrying about potential of damaging it or it being stolen or whatever?

I'm still inexperienced when it comes to the wearing of Irvins, but it does seem to me that if they're as warm as folks tell me you'd nowadays be hard pushed to find yourself in a situation where you needed the additional heat that the electric wires were designed to provide!! lol

An electric A2 or some such would have been an intruging beast: convenience of the less bulky jacket, with the additional heat wiring could provide.... but that's for another thread. ;)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward said:
First I've ever heard of that too.... From the auction description it sounds like he had hold of the original it was based on, so perhaps that was a prized part of a collection or family heirloom and the replica was intended as a same-design jacket he could wear everyday without worrying about potential of damaging it or it being stolen or whatever?

I'm still inexperienced when it comes to the wearing of Irvins, but it does seem to me that if they're as warm as folks tell me you'd nowadays be hard pushed to find yourself in a situation where you needed the additional heat that the electric wires were designed to provide!! lol

An electric A2 or some such would have been an intruging beast: convenience of the less bulky jacket, with the additional heat wiring could provide.... but that's for another thread. ;)

Edward the electrically wired Irvin were not heated. They simply carried the wires which heated the gloves and boots.

Edward

Bartender
aswatland said:
Edward the electrically wired Irvin were not heated. They simply carried the wires which heated the gloves and boots.

Ah, that makes more sense. I presume that was designed so that there was the minimum of contact between sockets on the plane and the crewmember's clothing, allowing for more rapid evacuation if needsbe?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Ah, that makes more sense. I presume that was designed so that there was the minimum of contact between sockets on the plane and the crewmember's clothing, allowing for more rapid evacuation if needsbe?

Edward,

The reason why the hands and feet were heated was that at extreme altitude (and during ops in the colder months) this was where aircrew experienced most cold, discomfort and even, extreme pain. A great many flying memoirs by aircrew talk about the discomfort and in some cases agony that was experienced in the hands and feet. It's also the parts of the body which develop frost bite first.

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
Scorpio1972 said:
Hello,
I just discovered a small rip on my ALC Irvin and wanted to know from the experts how to proceed with my fix. I was first thinking of stitches but then again it would be to visible.
The rip is close to the armpit (right side) but on the pieces connecting the body and the sleeve (sorry no pictures available at this moment).
I heard that some people use glue and I was wondering which method is the best.
If you get a really big rip/hole, would you cover it with leather and glue it or stitch it on?

If I want .....let say cover the stitches a bit.....would it be recommended to spray paint the spot of the stitches in similar color of the leather??

As you can see, I have allot of questions and thoughts and some might sound crazy but hey....I have never repaird such a jacket before.

Regards,

Scorpio1972

Hi Scorpio, there are a couple references to a repair one of the members did to his Irvin earlier in this thread using glue. Here's one that shows pics--it seems to have been a very successful procedure:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14753&page=54

aswatland

BLACK IRVIN

Today I bought a very rare black fleece mid War Irvin on Ebay. It's in fantastic condition, without the normal wear to the fleece. It may be the work of Robinson and Ensum (certainly not Wareings, Links) as it has features found on a jacket by this maker (with the label) which I used own. It appears to be a size 4 so will fit me fine. It has the owner's initials painted on the back.Here are some pics.

5cff_3.jpg

5ee9_3.jpg

5e17_3.jpg

616b_3.jpg

628f_3-1.jpg

4a15_3.jpg

46f7_3.jpg

4891_1.jpg

5fb5_3.jpg

aswatland

Spitfire said:
Allthoug "stange" to look at - what a find, Andrew. Congrats!:eusa_clap
Do you know how many black fleece Irvins were made?

Relatively few I would imagine. I have seen one other in Prodger's book.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic Andrew!

Pleased to hear you've gotten hold of one after the "Black Irvin" conversation here a couple of months back.

Also, this is the same one which was posted when we were talking about them, isn't it?

Can't remember if I mentioned it, but I would put money on that having belonged to an RCAF member or a Canadian in the RAF. Canadians, unlike most other Commonwealth aircrew, quite often decorated their flying kit like US servicemen did.

aswatland

Yes this is the very same Irvin which we discussed sometime ago. I believe it sold for round about £1000 last time. I shall have to sell a jacket to help cover the costs of this one-familiar story!

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
shameless plug here. I've got a bunch of bits and pieces up for sale on ebay from a junked 1940 Irvin. elastic collar strap, hanging chain, collar itself, main weather flap, belt, underarm ventilation sections and a few other bits. Search under irvin jacket and you'll find them no problem. Probobly good for someones Irvin project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner