Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Very nice functional jacket FedoraGuy. You'll get a lot of use out of it!

To be honest, it's not really an Irvin, more a generic sheepskin flying jacket with (it appears) elements of Irvins and American B-3s. If you are interested in learning more about Irvins have a read over this thread, it's probably the best Irvin resource on the internet.

The main thing is that you enjoy your new jacket and you use it. It seems to be a great fit and you look great in it!

TheFedoraGuy

New in Town
Thanks Smithy! I was reading this thread for some time and always admired the nice old jackets people are presenting here. I'm not so deep in that topic (yet) so when I decided to get my own one I started looking for a jacket which resembles an Irvin jacket :) Ahh, always the details :))

- So can I call it actually an "Irvin jacket replica" ??

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
Smithy said:
Unfortunately Irvin weather is disappearing quickly now. I wore mine yesterday and two days last week but I'd bake in the thing today. Mind you I wore it everyday from September until the end of February so it's been well and truly worn in now.

This was the scene earlier today in Minneapolis, MN. Still some Irvin weather left and more on the way! There's a lot of mileage to be gotten out of an Irvin in these parts--slight consolation for the fact that you can only ride a motorcycle about 2 months out of the year!
(Sorry you can't see more of the jacket--took the pic myself.)

March%20in%20MN.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Like the pic Astro, looks like here over the last few days.

We've got another cold snap and had snow a couple of days ago. Been wearing my Irvin everyday again. Currently -9 Celsius here at the mo so the Irvin is just the ticket.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Welcom in the Club FedoraGuy - and welcome to the neverending path of Irvins that you MUST own.
This "flyingjacket" of yours is only the first step. The more you read about these beautifull jackets, the more you see them - the more you want to own one, and one more and ....you are hooked.;)

dogrose

New in Town
Pre War Irvin?

Hi all,

I wish to post some questions to all you experts out there. O.K. I have a nice original Irvin I believe to be Pre War. No label unfortuneately. The interesting things are the seams. The rear horizontal seam is not straight. It dips in the middle and there are some unusual vertical and horizontal seams with strengthening? patches. I am not allowed to post attachments??? I can however email the pics to you if you email me on dean@marks.net. These do not look like repairs but were put there when it was originally made. Has anyone seen anything like this? Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Dean

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Not entirely sure Dean. This might be because you haven't posted enough posts yet. It's that way for sending PMs.

Usually you'll have somewhere like Photobucket where you link the photo from using the "Insert Image" button above the text box when you are writing a reply.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dean emailed the pics of his Irvin. It's actually a pre-war electrically wired Irvin made by Wareings. The other jacket in his collection is a late War multi-panelled Irvin made by DGL, which he purchased from me a few weeks ago.

dogrose

New in Town
Pre War Irvin

Thanks to all for your advice and especially thanks to Andrew for fully answering my query.
Once I work out how to post pics I will put them up

Dean

HDRnR

A-List Customer
There was an electically wired Aero repro on Ebay recently, I came close to bidding on it but it seemed huge for a 44.

aswatland

HDRnR said:
There was an electically wired Aero repro on Ebay recently, I came close to bidding on it but it seemed huge for a 44.

I have never seen an Aero repro electrically wired Irvin. I am not sure any repro maker has made such jackets, but am happy to be corrected. There was an original tagged size 44 which sold yesterday and this had a 1939 date. It is worth pointing out that the 44 does not mean it is a size 44! From experience of this pre-war sizing it would correspond to a size 4, which is a 36-38 chest size.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
aswatland said:
I have never seen an Aero repro electrically wired Irvin. I am not sure any repro maker has made such jackets, but am happy to be corrected. There was an original tagged size 44 which sold yesterday and this had a 1939 date. It is worth pointing out that the 44 does not mean it is a size 44! From experience of this pre-war sizing it would correspond to a size 4, which is a 36-38 chest size.

The guy said he had it specially made by Aero, copied directly from an original. 44 was the modern size.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280205972184&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Now that is unusual and unique. Must've cost a fortune to have made up.

I haven't seen an electrically wired repro before so thanks for the pics.

aswatland

I am glad to be proved wrong. Interesting jacket with some original hardware too. Now I wonder whether this jacket contains the original wires? It does not have the plugs, which are invariably cut off originals. So it's really not a complete electrically wired jacket, but nevertheless a unique repro, which sold for a lowish price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner